Subject: B17: Reasonable House Rule? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Pontypridd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Should B17's be allowed to drop iron bombs at high altitude? It strikes me as odd that they should be restricted to low altitude when they were designed to bomb at high altitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would mess with game balance.
If you want to explain it thematically: they drop bombs at Low altitude with good chance to hit the target (the roll you make). They could drop bombs at High altitude but they the chance to hit target would be modified by -15. And I think this is accurate at some point cause single bomber had very low hit rate in WWII. Especially those that flew high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c08mk wrote:
It would mess with game balance.
If you want to explain it thematically: they drop bombs at Low altitude with good chance to hit the target (the roll you make). They could drop bombs at High altitude but they the chance to hit target would be modified by -15. And I think this is accurate at some point cause single bomber had very low hit rate in WWII. Especially those that flew high.

These are my thoughts exactly. The bombers are not being used for Strategic Bombing raids in this setting. This is one or two or three bombers making a tactical bomb run trying to destroy one or two targets. Totally makes sense they would fly at a lower attitude to improve accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Verssen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see your House rule Chris, however at that Altitude, their Accuracy would be abysmal, and Historically they were used to Bomb out small clumps of enemies.

It would be fun to have some kind of SO cost you could spend to be able to drop Bombs at High Altitude from the B-17!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
For over 40 years I've been enjoying gaming with great people.
mbmbmbmbmb
The high altitude bombing done during WWII used hundreds of bombers and targeted huge factories, rail yards, cities, etc. Many of those bombs still missed their target. In this game you are flying one bomber and targeting something relatively small.

If you wanted to house rule it maybe (totally untested) - roll 2D10 and require 20+ to hit your target. Add your normal modifiers.

Note:
When I played the '48 campaign the at least one of my two B-17 were absolutely required to fly the majority of the missions. It may cost 1 SO for each, but the bomb load they could bring was virtually required to destroy some of the targets. So save those special option points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Pontypridd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was under the impression that under ideal conditions the B-17 could drop a bomb into a proverbial pickle barrel. Whilst far from ideal, the conditions in this game are far less hostile to a bomber than a run over Berlin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Numbers from an article on Airforcemag.com

Quote:
Eighth Air force in Great Britian put 31.8 percent of its bombs within 1,00 feet of the aim point from an average height of 21,000 feet. Fifteenth Air Force in Italy averaged 30.78 percent from 20,500 feet

That is with of course large formations to increase the chance that some of them are in the right area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.