Next War: Poland» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rating of units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tercio idiaquez
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Hi. First of all I must say that I love the game. It´s so good that I will buy the rest of the series.
I know that a lot of people think that his army is the "best" or must be between the top.

I´m soldier in the spanish army and I have seen a lot of NATO countries "in the field" (exercises and real missions) and I think that the quality level of the units should be more similar.
For example I´m agree that the airbone units should be of a better quality of a light (leg) unit but I´m not agree with differences between mechanized o armored units of different countries.
They work a very similar way, with nato standars. I can accept that the technology can do a difference, but why the danish mechanized is better than others? This is only an example, I don´t have anything against danish army of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Spiller
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sic Semper Tyrannis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming your talking about the efficiency rating, my guess would be experience in real conflicts - like the Americans and Brits in Iraq. In my eyes, this rating is not only equipment, training, or experience of soldiers, but also the experience of officers and commanders who are "controlling" the unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, i´m not an expert and neither have the game orbat at the moment, but the Jutland Dragoons work as a kind of expeditionary force while the spanish armored units, for example, have never been deployed before the baltics, so it makes sense to give the danish unit a bit more punch, if only for the veterancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick guide to ERs in this series is that reservists are normally 4, regular troops that are mostly conscripted/national service are 5, first line/elite troops of volunteers are 6. US is +1.

USMC recon battalions are 8, mostly to enable the USMC to do Amphibious landings better then anyone, the extra ER negates somewhat the penalties of amphibious landings. That's my take of it.

Reduced side is always ER -1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
AlexCV wrote:
Reduced side is always ER -1.
Almost always. There are some Russian units in NWP that do not reduce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tercio idiaquez
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
arubiero wrote:
Well, i´m not an expert and neither have the game orbat at the moment, but the Jutland Dragoons work as a kind of expeditionary force while the spanish armored units, for example, have never been deployed before the baltics, so it makes sense to give the danish unit a bit more punch, if only for the veterancy.

All the spanish brigades have been deployed in missions (Afganisthan, Balkans, Lebanon, Mali etc..) including the "comandancias generales" (Ceuta, Melilla y Baleares).
It´s true that the "heavy brigades" didn´t carry to operations zone tanks or ifv, only APC (BMR,s, VEC,s) and wheeled vehicles like other armies. But the most difficult task (for me) is conducting operations, and in the battallion and brigade level they have the experience.

But I don´t talk only about the spanish units, my question was for the most of the nato countries.
My "idea" would be:
Regular units 4.
Units with a different "sprit of corps" (french foreing legion, spanish foreing legion, airborne units, marines etc...) +1.
Elite units: +2. The problem is what we can consider like "elite unit". For me, would be "sprit of corps"+ last generation equipment, for example.
But this is only my humble opinion.
It´s clear that the best one who knows the game and what he wants to get is the designer. And a game needs a lot of couplings to not unbalance it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Derwiński
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
1st Independent Parachute Brigade
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one don't understand why all Polish armored units have the same ratings despite some being equipped with T-72/PT-91, while some with Leopards 2A4/2A5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Polish wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Because rating has little to do with equipment itself, I guess. It's more about unit's morale, training, skills and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.