6 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: 25 cubes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Dakers
msg tools
Hi guys,

When playing last night the red cubes were accidentally knocked all over the floor. After picking them up we counted them to make sure we hadn't lost any. There was 24 cubes as the contents stated there should be so play continued.

We then had a horrible game that ended after 6 turns due to running out of red cubes. After we had packed everything up a red cube was discovered on the floor. This caused a recount of the red cubes and there were indeed now 25 cubes.

This led to the counting of all the other colours and the discovery that there were also 25 yellows and blacks but only 24 blues.

Anyone else had this happen? Is there supposed to be a spare one of each colour in case you lose some?

We are currently in May and have almost definitely been playing with too many cubes throughout

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 1st edition base Pandemic had an extra black cube, ever since then I count all the cubes in new games before playing but have yet to get another copy with extra cubes. My Legacy was dead on for 24 of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Yes, you should have 24 cubes in each of the four colours.

If you're in the mood to check stuff, it's possibly worth just making doubly sure you have one card for each of the 48 cities in both Player and Infection decks.

But the most common discrepancy I've heard of is for Package 3. Count the contents when you open it; there should be:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

...components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Örtegren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's actually quite interesting: it costs a lot more to have the demand that the manufacturers put exactly 24 cubes in each bag (I'm not sure but I guess stuff like: slower paced machines, more precise methods of measuring, perhaps double checking)

So instead they say, we accept that some (low) percentage of bags have a variation of one cube in them. The manufacturer can now up the speed and reduce some of the controlls, making for a cheaper product.

However, if that means one LESS then 24, it will greatly impact the value of the game, and infuriate customers. So they are only allowed to set the parameters to allow/let through bags that might have one MORE, people will be a bit confused, but not get upset or have an inferior product, which in turn would cost the company lots more in handling, shipping and reputation.

Facinating stuff. I learned this in a thread where the designer chimed in when we were confused by if people with one less token where cheated, or those with one more where treated (rhyme unintended).

As gamers we put so much value to a piece of plastic acrylic measuring 8 by 8 millimeters, we can't even phatom that it is cheaper to give us one more then to carefully measure them up. It's the closest ive come to see the magic in boardgaming being tangible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
If you're supplying 24 of something with a board game, the trick is to make sure their manufacturing tolerance is better than +/-2%. That way you can weigh the bags to make sure they contain the right component count. (-8

Alternatively, just allow a few extra to be included and make sure the rules clearly state how many there should be. Season One could have done a little better at that last point - hence the need for my spoiler-protected remark above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
mbmb
adakers56491 wrote:
Anyone else had this happen? Is there supposed to be a spare one of each colour in case you lose some?

Others have given the "why" - but to answer your first question:

I had 4 extra cubes, spread across 3 colours. Like others, I counted before we started playing, and set the excess aside.

Frankly, I'd check before playing any game where the rules or mechanics mean that the players' actions are constrained by the component count. And when you have a rule that says you lose a game if you have no more components to place, it's even more important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.