Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
The english script entry 200 (from the "script app") differs from the german version of the script entry (in paper form from my copy of the game).

Quote from the english script 200:
Quote:

CHAPTER AND OBJECTIVE CARDs:
- The Objectives cards are on the Objectives space in a stack. The Final Objective card is at the very bottom..

Quote from the german script 200:
Quote:

KAPITEL- UND ZIELKARTEN:
* Wenn du eine Karte vom Ereignisstapel ziehst und es sich um eine Kapitelkarte handelt, befolge den Kartentext. Anschließend startest du einen neuen Tag, indem du sofort eine neue Karte vom Ereignisstapel ziehst und abhandelst.
* Die Zielkarten liegen gestapelt auf dem Zielfeld. Das finale Ziel liegt ganz unten im Stapel...

As you see - the german script entry contains a complete paragraph (marked in bold), that is apparently missing in the english script entry.

(My) translation (on the fly) of this additional paragraph is as follows:

Quote:

CHAPTER AND OBJECTIVE CARDs:
- If you draw a card from the Events deck and this card is a Chapter card, obey the card text. After that you start a new day by immediately drawing and executing a new card from the Events deck.
- The Objectives cards are on the Objectives space in a stack. The Final Objective card is at the very bottom...

Some of you will quickly realize, what this could mean for the very first turn of the game.

In most answers (regarding drawing events in the first turn) in the rules section of the forum it was declared that the Chapter card itself qualifies as the first Event card and therefore it is not necessary to draw another ("real") Event card in the first turn of the game.

This was the general opinion, because the whole script entry starts with "- During the morning phase the top card card in the Events deck is resolved, regardless of wether it is an Event card or an Ending Event card, or a Chapter card."

In my opinion (based on the german text of the script) I don't think, that drawing a Chapter card satisfies the requirement to draw an Event card.
So - in my opinion - the first turn is ... as hard as the rest of the game. No quarter.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Title changed, because rule errata was confirmed by author
(never did that before - hopefully it is ok)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Chapter cards and Events card on first turn of game (script 200)
The English cards for chapter 2 and the final chapter tell you to draw another card to start the new day. The first chapter card doesn't say this.

Since TWoM does an excellent job in telling you what to do when, i rather think, that this is some kind of translation issue and not the intended ruling for the game (well atleast for the English version). But that's just my opinion... ☺
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
You are right - the same applies to the "Kapitelkarten" of the german version.

It might be an translation error - but it seems curious to me, that a whole paragraph was added.

But well - maybe the translators just forgot to remove an obsolete paragraph.

I would be interested to know, if this paragraph (in entry 200) is present in the french or polish translation.

Maybe somebody could help us out here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be an error or just some kind of interpretation by the translator.

During my first few games i also tried to assume things, which might have been let open to interpretation. Once i learned, that TWoM really lets you experience the story and theme and doesn't require thinking about how certain things might work in certain situations, all it requires is reading comprehension.

Now that i think of it, this could rather be a flaw of many other games out there, as they often leave too much room for interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I do not assume anything here.
I read the paragraph (that is not present in the english edition).
I do what it says.

It just contradicts the fact, that the first chapter card does not mention to draw the next event card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonora Konovalova
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
This paragraph is present in the Russian translation too. The interpreters say that it was in the list of errata provided by designers (i.e. it is a newer version of the rules).

We are also confused with the following errata (entry 600):
EXPLORATION CARDs:
"ignore this card" means: shuffle this card back into its deck without resolving. Do not replace the card by drawing a new one.
It is more logical to discard the ignored exploration card, not to shuffle it back to the unknown deck. And the instruction "do not replace the card" is meaningless here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, Leonora.

For me this indicates quite clearly (since the paragraph was added as errata) that the main problem is with the first Chapter card.

It looks like the first Chapter card is simply missing the instruction "Now draw an Event card to start your first day".

(your question regarding the "confusion" as well as the rest of this post might be better posted again as a new question to avoid mixing up the threads)

Regarding the confusion with the "Exploration cards" - I checked the paragraph 600: in the german version this text that you quote is inserted below the new heading Begegnungskarten (in english these are the Residents cards - you call it "Encounter cards", a term that is not used in the english version at all as far as I know - but matches the german "Begegnungskarten").

This heading ("Begegnungskarten") is not present at all in the english script (it also contains some explanations regarding "rebels").

For the Begegnungskarten/Residents cards ("Encounter cards"?) it is o.k. to shuffle them back, because only Exploration cards (drawn from the Exploration deck or Unknown deck) are discarded.
Ignored Begegnungskarten/Residents cards always should go back to the Residents deck.

Regarding the instruction "not to replace this card" - I think it is just meant to make sure, that the complete encounter with the residents should be ignored (else somebody could get the wrong idea, that he only should ignore the card at hand - but should still encounter other residents).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Mydel
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in contact with Michał Oracz, the designer, and actually after drawing the Chapter I card and determining the objectives for the campaign you place the Chapter I card in the Waste bag and then DRAW THE TOP EVENT CARD NORMALLY. Therefore, first round is just as hard as all others.

The proper wording will be present in the new print run of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through this post and the other posts related to it. I had mixed feelings about the correct rules. On one hand it could have been old rules there were left in by mistake (I think there are some scripts with old rules still), or it could have been updated rules there were missed on the first run. It seems like the latter is correct though!

It's good to know the answer. I think I assumed you were to draw the next card, as you do that with Chapters 2/3 as well. But I followed the rules as written.

I'll try it out with this new official rule, but... I may stick with the 'easy day 1' rule for a bit, as I'm still struggling to survive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So does this mean that the 1st Chapter will only then include 3 Days (as there are only 3 Event Cards between the Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 cards) where as the 2nd Chapter will include 4 Days (with 4 Event cards between the Chapter cards)?

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the headsup concerning chapter one. Harder it is then... not that it was easy in the first place... 😉
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post needs more thumbs ups! This is an important rule to know.

A change in title might help too, to convey a correction to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I changed the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
middle wrote:
I am in contact with Michał Oracz, the designer, and actually after drawing the Chapter I card and determining the objectives for the campaign you place the Chapter I card in the Waste bag and then DRAW THE TOP EVENT CARD NORMALLY. Therefore, first round is just as hard as all others.

This makes the game easier. TWOM is always about holding out. Less days means less opportunity for things to go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

This makes the game easier. TWOM is always about holding out. Less days means less opportunity for things to go wrong.

haha, well, that's the spirit! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Go back in time and Kill Hitler!
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
I'll try it out with this new official rule, but... I may stick with the 'easy day 1' rule for a bit, as I'm still struggling to survive!

Seriously - the game is tough enough...I am pretending this post never existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I am sorry, Rick

I played it again (one campaign with three players and the scenario "endless night" with three players).

If I had to describe it with one word, it would be "experience".
Very good and unique game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Same issue in the Spanish version.

My guess is they missed the "now draw and resolve an event card" at the end of Chapter 1 card.

Anyway, the length of the war could be made variable (as in the PC game) by adding or removing event cards...this would be a nice way to tweak the game length...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
middle wrote:

Well that is until you discover the "hard mode rules" and play with More/all of the event cards. And don't forget making your own custom ones for event and final events!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Telgar Sandseeker
msg tools
aKa Telgar SandSeeker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in french rule (Journal) , "A new day is starting", so just after the board setup, it is written (translation) : "Do not forget to add 3 'Cold' tokens to the board".
But the 1st Event card (Chapter 1) is not giving any 'Cold' token so I have assumed that I had to draw another Event Card, so drawing 2 events cards as a matter of fact. Good to see that it was the right move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.