Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tie breaker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Lindh
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
During the agenda face who wins when 2 players goes to 10?

Two players are at 9 points speaker and one more. A “elect player” comes up where we elect 1 player that gets 1 point. The speaker has 17 votes and every one else have used their votes earlier during the agenda. The other player (me) plays a rider that gives me one point if “my choice” wins.
I pick the speaker.

The speaker votes for himself and goes to 10 points triggering my rider giving me 10 points.
What is the tiebreaker?
Is something (elect och rider) triggering before the other thing?

We think the speaker won but aren’t sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
See the current Errata thread: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1902562/verified-errata...

This is compiled from Dane's answers to individual rules questions, which is here to get us by until an official FAQ is released.

TLDR: At any time initiative needs consulted but players do not have initiative values, start with the speaker and go clockwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Based upon what I have read in previous threads:

During the Agenda Phase, players have no initiative because they have discarded their Strategy Cards back to the common play area; therefore no player technically has any initiative number to refer to.

In your case then, start with the Speaker who wins all ties in Victory Points. IF the Speaker is NOT involved in this final point tiebreaker, proceed clockwise from the Speaker to resolve turn order. So, first person to left of the Speaker involved in a tiebreaker situation would be the winner.

IF a tie for Victory Points would ever occur in the Strategy Phase (can it, I don't know), I would say use the Speaker then clockwise rule only if not all SC had been selected; if all SC had been selected and for some reason a tie for victory would occur at that moment, then you could use initiative order.

I cannot find the rules exactly for these cases. I also don't know if a tie for Victory Points could ever occur in the Strategy Phase.

I do believe, however, that the Agenda Phase rule for tiebreaker victory points is correct, to the best of my knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
An Agenda phase win with a tie.

Intriguing game end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badoux Jerome
Switzerland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
No speaker involved in this particular case !

Imperial Rider let you bet on the outcome of a vote!
Therefore for this to be validate the vote has to be completed First.

Therfore the Agenda take effect First and then the Imperial Rider take effect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agone07 wrote:
No speaker involved in this particular case !

Indeed. The case in the OP is not a tie and rule 8.22 proves you resolve the outcome before the Rider.

In other words, the Elected player would win before the player of the Rider does regardless of closeness to the Speaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

You are absolutely right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, I won
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binnet wrote:
Good, I won

The speaker won, actually. He was elected (giving him his 10th VP) before your rider triggered (giving you your 10th VP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
personaly...

I like to solve ties with a wrestling death match.. but thats just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:
binnet wrote:
Good, I won

The speaker won, actually. He was elected (giving him his 10th VP) before your rider triggered (giving you your 10th VP).

I think you failed to take usernames into account. PrivateNiCeGuY in the OP played the rider, so it is totally possible (and very probable) that binnet was the Speaker in that same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lindh
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
Brian1981 wrote:
binnet wrote:
Good, I won

I think you failed to take usernames into account. PrivateNiCeGuY in the OP played the rider, so it is totally possible (and very probable) that binnet was the Speaker in that same game.

Correct “Binnet” was the speaker in this game and the winner.
Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Tobias clearing this up. Funny to find this thread already up as I was about to post my own with the same question =)
Not often you see a political victory in the agenda phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.