Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Spirit Island» Forums » General

Subject: First game since adding Branch and Claw - LOVE IT, but a couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
First of all, after adding Branch and Claw somehow I like the game even more which I thought would be impossible. It's a lot more thought provoking, there's more decision making to be made - I think in particular it improves the cooperative side of the game. Fantastic.

A couple of questions :

1. (not specific to branch and claw here) when adding more than 1 presence, are you able to spread the 2nd presence at a range from the first you placed during that same growth? So if you have range 1 add presence and you can do it twice, are you able to end up 2 away from presence you already had on the board?

2. On the fear level event cards, are the effects cumulative? For example I had one that read Fear level 1 = explore at +1 range, fear level 2 = something else. We were at fear level 2 so does that also trigger +1 explore range.

3. Why do I have 26 event cards? The instruction manual says there should only be 25...

4. Can you add more than 1 strife to the same invader?

5. Keeper of the forbidden Wilds - innate ability Spreading wilds shows a first ability triggering at 2 yellow. Then a second line is triggered on 1 green. Does that mean you can use the 1 green ability even if you don't have 2 yellow? I thought for most innates, they're more like increasing levels of an ability so this one confused me a bit.

6. When are you producing more content for this game so I can fling more money in your direction? I want to give you money. This game makes me incredibly happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3) make sure you didn't mix slave rebellion into the event deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, spirit growths can chain. For example, Lightning's Swift Strike can create a sacred site at range 2 from wherever they already have presence by choosing their second growth option.

2. No, the effects are not cumulative. For the terror/invader deck events, choose the one effect that applies.

3. The Slave Rebellion event card is only used if France is the adversary, and then it repeats regularly.

4. Yes, you can put multiple strife on the same invader. (Look at some of the games run in the Play By Forum section of this forum if you want some examples.

5. For any innate power, start at the top and work your way down, triggering any effects that apply from top to bottom. If powers say they replace the effects, they replace the effects. Therefore, in the specific case of Keeper, provided they have a single Plant, they can place a Wild token in an unlighted land at range 1 from where they have presence, provided there are no explorers. If they have either 1 Air or 3 Plant, the power gains an additional +1 range (cumulative if both 1 Air and 3 Plant, regardless of how many Sun are present).

6. It's been informally announced someplace that design work has been greenlit on a second expansion. (That was around August, if memory serves.) The way that GtG tends to operate, they'll probably have 3/4 or so of the design work done when the Kickstarter launches, and based on the work for the core game we should expect delivery around 18 months after the Kickstarter closes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
#1: You do each item in your growth as a discrete step - so yes, for example, River Surges in Sunlight can use its 2nd growth option to add presence at range 1 from an existing presence, then add another presence at range 1 from that new presence - the River flowing across the land.
#2: No, only use the effect for the terror level you are in.
#3: You have probably included the special France Only even card - "Slave Rebellion"
#4: Yes.
#5: You always check each line separately to see if you meet the threshold.
#6: I think there is another expansion in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brilliant, thanks so much community hivemind - really appreciate.

1 last question I forgot :

In the initial setup of the board, you start with a single explore before Spirits. If that explore hits a land with a wilds - I assume you remove the wild and don't add explorers, is this correct or is the initial setup considered different to standard explore?

FANTASTIC news about the expansion. I hope if I don't get the chance to buy promo spirits I'll be able to add them during that KS campaign too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
1 last question I forgot :

In the initial setup of the board, you start with a single explore before Spirits. If that explore hits a land with a wilds - I assume you remove the wild and don't add explorers, is this correct or is the initial setup considered different to standard explore?

You have assumed correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cheers Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jsdougan wrote:
6. It's been informally announced someplace that design work has been greenlit on a second expansion.

PerceptiveMan wrote:
#6: I think there is another expansion in the works.

Yup, I can confirm this. We can't give any details about content or timing yet - it's too early to know either - but design work and playtesting have both spun up and are ongoing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I saw some playtesting notes in your play history Eric , was linked in another thread so not a complete surprise but great to have it confirmed.

Keep up the standard and I'm all over it!!

New board maybe? More spirits... More adversaries / scenarios. It's such a flexible design. I look forward to investing more money in this fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have to wonder what else could be done, but I'm looking forward to maybe spirits that manipulate disease and strife, and no doubt lots more adversaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that Ted has spitballed, talking in broad principles without giving anything specific away:

If I recall correctly, one of his ultimate design goals is for every major power to have at least one spirit who really wants to see it when they draw. My off-the-cuff examples are the paratroopers for Thunderspeaker - sorry, Wrap in Wings of Sunlight - Tsunami for Ocean's Hungry Grasp, or either Accelerated Rot or Sweep Into the Sea for River Surges in Sunlight. So, you could look at which major powers don't seem to play perfectly with somebody - Sea Monsters comes to mind - and start to design a spirit that would really want to draw that.

I'm in the camp who hopes for "proper" 5/6-player support, more spirits, and something that incorporates the token types which appear on the neoprene mat without being used in any existing rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
Is it safe to assume it will be several years at least before we see a 5/6 player expansion? I'm trying to decide on purchasing the playmat and additional colors set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nfelddav wrote:
Is it safe to assume it will be several years at least before we see a 5/6 player expansion? I'm trying to decide on purchasing the playmat and additional colors set.

I'm not a play tester, but I'd say likely so. I'm likely to pick them up myself in a few months, but have some debts from unemployment that need to die first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
nfelddav wrote:

I really can't say anything one way or the other.

I can observe that if you run the timeline for a 30-day Kickstarter starting right this instant for a 100%-done-files-are-printer-ready game that you're looking at something like an early-May arrival in the US? Which would mean delivery in June? So there's an absolute lower-bound on the waiting-time.

(In case it's not clear, that lower-bound isn't happening.)

Quote:
I'm trying to decide on purchasing the playmat and additional colors set.

I think I've mentioned elsewhere, but I'll mention again: if your primary objective is supporting 5-6p, I'd tend to recommend "get a 2nd copy of the game + 2 additional colors of Presence discs from somewhere" over "buy the playmat + additional pieces". The cost is... slightly more? roughly equivalent?... and you get:

* The ability to play two smaller games at once (valuable when new players are learning)
* The ability to use the balanced boards with 5-6p (and variable board layout)
* Energy + Fear markers for 5-6p
* Replacement bits/cards if anything ever gets damaged or lost
* If/when you play with Branch & Claw, you can keep that expansion mixed in with one box's Power/Fear/Blight cards, making it super-easy to swap between "teaching new players" and "playing with folks who know the game".
* You can choose custom/oddball colors for the 5/6th color of Presence if you want.

You *do* lose the ability to play on the thematic board with 5-6p, access to thematic SW/SE in general, and the prettiness/aesthetics of playingon the playmat, so it is a tradeoff. But I suspect it may be a better solution for many people's intentions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Song
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh gosh I hope they do a KS for the next expansion AND release a collector's edition bundle with higher quality components (not that they aren't good but it's begging for something top notch)!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
darker wrote:

I can observe that if you run the timeline for a 30-day Kickstarter starting right this instant for a 100%-done-files-are-printer-ready game that you're looking at something like an early-May arrival in the US? Which would mean delivery in June? So there's an absolute lower-bound on the waiting-time.

(In case it's not clear, that lower-bound isn't happening.)

I'm glad! Take your time. I've got a load of content to get through before anything new arrives.

And put me down as another who would love to see upgraded invader components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Song
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:

And put me down as another who would love to see upgraded invader components.

And single sided player aids (not double sided)... upgraded everything edition :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darker wrote:

I think I've mentioned elsewhere, but I'll mention again: if your primary objective is supporting 5-6p, I'd tend to recommend "get a 2nd copy of the game + 2 additional colors of Presence discs from somewhere" over "buy the playmat + additional pieces". The cost is... slightly more? roughly equivalent?... and you get:

* The ability to play two smaller games at once (valuable when new players are learning)
* The ability to use the balanced boards with 5-6p (and variable board layout)
* Energy + Fear markers for 5-6p
* Replacement bits/cards if anything ever gets damaged or lost
* If/when you play with Branch & Claw, you can keep that expansion mixed in with one box's Power/Fear/Blight cards, making it super-easy to swap between "teaching new players" and "playing with folks who know the game".
* You can choose custom/oddball colors for the 5/6th color of Presence if you want.

You *do* lose the ability to play on the thematic board with 5-6p, access to thematic SW/SE in general, and the prettiness/aesthetics of playingon the playmat, so it is a tradeoff. But I suspect it may be a better solution for many people's intentions?

I've just had somebody ask elsewhere - for a 5P game done this way, how should the board get arranged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
What is the likelihood of the 2 promo spirits being added as options to the eventual kickstarter of the next expansion?

Its slowly driving me insane that I don't have them. I must own them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
What is the likelihood of the 2 promo spirits being added as options to the eventual kickstarter of the next expansion?

they're on a boat on the way to GtG and will be directly order-able from them. Alternatly, GtG is intending to be at the UK Games Expo, when last I knew. If you attend and spend enough time doing demos in their booth, you could earn them there. (I think the magic number is either 3 or 5.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
jsdougan wrote:
Gregolution wrote:

they're on a boat on the way to GtG and will be directly order-able from them. Alternatly, GtG is intending to be at the UK Games Expo, when last I knew. If you attend and spend enough time doing demos in their booth, you could earn them there. (I think the magic number is either 3 or 5.)

Good to know. I will continue to check the GtG website on a daily basis and if that fails I'll be at Uk games Expo too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jsdougan wrote:
I've just had somebody ask elsewhere - for a 5P game done this way, how should the board get arranged?

There's no "official" 5p layout yet; I'd suggest one of the following:

* As per 4p, but with an additional board on the top or bottom of the island. (If the "extra" board joins via its top, it might be slightly harder than if it joins on its bottom, but in 5p the difference is likely negligible.)

* As per 3p, but join two additional island boards to the central circle (by their lower edges is probably best).

* Make a star (all boards have NE tips touching together), then rotate one board so its SE corner is in the center instead. Probably most aesthetically pleasing but most difficult; land #3 on all the star-positioned boards is a heavy cascade danger if it becomes blighted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
jsdougan wrote:
Gregolution wrote:

I wish this boat would speed up.... . Keep checking every day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
based on a question about the promo spirits at the GtG forums, the apparent answer is next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
jsdougan wrote:
based on a question about the promo spirits at the GtG forums, the apparent answer is next week.

WOOHOO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.