Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Charton
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have a question regarding the final round:

I played the game today for the first time (and loved it!) together with some friends. Everything went fine, until the player who ended the game (by taking the last three cards as his action) started a fight about the final round. The development board was empty, so he insisted that every other player draw a card from the pile of already removed cards at the begin of their turn and more cards if their chosen action demanded it. I must admit, I see his point: In the final round, if running/developing your city oder buying a borough doesn't do you any good, you just choose "Take 3 cards" and do nothing, this way avoiding to draw cards which only bring you poverty markers in the final scoring. Is this too unfair to the player who ends the game (by choice or not)?

I wasn't able to find anything in the rulebook about this, so I would be thankful for any input on this matter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
There's no rule stating that discarded cards are ever shuffled to form a new deck, so I would say that players cannot draw any cards if the deck is empty and there are no cards on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Charton
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my first thought, too. Thank you so much for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish the rule book would've added that as a reminder that no cards are drawn when the deck is empty...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Winford
United States
Fairbanks
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any official word from Martin Wallace or Osprey regarding what happens on your final turn when the draw deck and the development board is empty? If you cannot draw a card do you still get a turn? Can you "draw" three and effectively skip your turn? Poverty for cards in hand at the end of the game can be a big deal. Need some clarification.

Ran into this issue with both of the games of London that I played with my game group tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Abrams
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no rule that I've seen regarding what happens if you cannot draw the card you are required to at the start of your turn.

But as to the draw three, while I haven't seen any official comment on it, the rulebook section for the draw three action says:

Quote:
If there are fewer than three cards available, simply take all the remaining cards.

All the remaining cards, in this case, are zero. So it seem apparent that yes, you can take draw three as an action and simply skip your turn.

This game /definitely/ requires some end game planning in order to not get stuck out with a few extra poverty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Roos
United States
Guilderland
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is everyone still working on the assumption that when there are no cards left to take (empty pile, empty board) that you just do not draw a card.

Meaning don't draw at start of turn but still take an action.

Don't draw if you take the draw action.

Don't draw if you buy a Borough and it gives you card draws.

The latter two are real advantages during a last action to avoid the poverty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.