7 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Republic of polania vs. Crimean Khamate - unfair matchup? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Chandler
msg tools
Hi everyone,

First time poster. Long time lurker. Love this site .

So I played a game today with the 2 mentioned factions in the post title. I ended up winning and my opponent at the end of the game pointed out something that she thought was an unfair advantage which I actually thought was pretty valid.

She was Crimean Khamate. I was Republic of Polonia. None of her mech abilities (river walk/Wayfair) allowed her to enter my starting lands. Wayfair only allows you to go to home bases of factions who aren't in the game, and her Riverwalk was between oil and food (which had no matchup like that around my home lands). Thus, I was able to just hoard all my resources from trade, etc. In my home lands with no worries of her ever coming after them. I however, had multiple avenues of invasion.

In this specific game, she would have really benefited from being able to come after my resources - as I was running away with the game and it would have really been her only chance to catch up. She couldn't though.

What do you guys think? Was this an unbalanced matchup? Am I thinking through this situation properly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some unbalanced matchups. I think there's actually a list somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I'll come back with it if I track it down.
There are no official rules for how to deal with this other than just some games will be unbalanced in 2 player that I'm aware of.

I have heard some people recommend that you use an automa in 2 player games to help offset this.

You could also just ban any use of a faction with favorable conditions over the other faction and having one of the players re-draw their faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Channer531 wrote:
her Riverwalk was between oil and food (which had no matchup like that around my home lands).

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet: you are misinterpreting Riverwalk. Riverwalk isn't between two particular terrains, it is to either of two. Where you are coming from makes no difference: Polania can Riverwalk into tundra or farms, coming from any hex. I don't have the board in front of me, but if memory serves me right, the Crimean starting peninsula does have a farm in it, so Polania could Riverwalk to there.

(Note that it is possible for Riverwalk to be a one-way trip: you can cross, but you can't return.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Wafflebob wrote:
There are some unbalanced matchups. I think there's actually a list somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I'll come back with it if I track it down.
There are no official rules for how to deal with this other than just some games will be unbalanced in 2 player that I'm aware of.

In this thread the designer acknowledges that Russviet paired with the Industrial faction mat may be too strong for 2-player games: Faction-Mat balance

Beyond that, I wouldn't worry about any perceived imbalance for a particular matchup after a single play. Better to switch sides and try approaching it from a fresh perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chandler
msg tools
David Goldfarb wrote:
Channer531 wrote:
her Riverwalk was between oil and food (which had no matchup like that around my home lands).

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet: you are misinterpreting Riverwalk. Riverwalk isn't between two particular terrains, it is to either of two. Where you are coming from makes no difference: Polania can Riverwalk into tundra or farms, coming from any hex. I don't have the board in front of me, but if memory serves me right, the Crimean starting peninsula does have a farm in it, so Polania could Riverwalk to there.

(Note that it is possible for Riverwalk to be a one-way trip: you can cross, but you can't return.)

Oh! Well, if this is the case that is a big game changer here and we were interpreting wrong. And after re-reading the mech ability, the picture art and description line up with your interpretation. "Move across rivers to X and X"

This changes our situation entirely now. Guess we'll have to re-play to get the real winner

Thank you for clarifying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Channer531 wrote:

This is your mistake, her Riverwalk is to oil or food from any hex. she does not need to go from oil to food, or food to oil, she just has to move into an oil or a food hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.