Subject: First Game Tonight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am almost done reading the rule book but it will be done before I play tonight.

I have printed off the F.A.Q. for quick reference if needed.

Does anyone have any tips to make this first game go smooth. I have three additional expansions for this game because they were included in the bundle I bought so I want my personal/families first experience to go over well.

When we played Pandemic Legacy Season 1 we screwed up a bunch of stuff early and it ruined the first couple months. We re-played the first few months as best we could but it definitely ruined the overall experience and we still haven't completed the whole thing.

With that said, I am obviously trying to avoid this from happening again and this has caused me to avoid even starting this game for months.

Does the game walk you through most of the rules?
Do you have to consult the rule book often?
Any major things that can get screwed up?

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: This rule book is giving me a headache, sorry, a bigger headache(already had one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to TIME Stories - one of my favorite games! Generally, I think the rulebook is pretty well written. A couple of suggestions:

1. Don't rush the rules explanation and review
Take your time to go thru them and ask for feedback.

2. On the skill check, you use 1 time to do skill checks for everyone.

3. Don't feel you have to succeed on the first or second runs. The game is designed to have you do multiple runs.

4. Get everyone in to the atmosphere! It is a coop mystery.

5. Lastly, have fun!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
Welcome to TIME Stories - one of my favorite games! Generally, I think the rulebook is pretty well written. A couple of suggestions:

1. Don't rush the rules explanation and review
Take your time to go thru them and ask for feedback.

2. On the skill check, you use 1 time to do skill checks for everyone.

3. Don't feel you have to succeed on the first or second runs. The game is designed to have you do multiple runs.

4. Get everyone in to the atmosphere! It is a coop mystery.

5. Lastly, have fun!

Good luck!

Yeah, the headache comment isn't about the quality of the rule book but rather the extent of the rules. I'm trying to grasp how to teach a game with a lot of rules without knowing how the game actually plays out(run through video). This is a foreign concept to me and I've taught about 200 games to my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calm down, this is an easy game with very few, easy mechanisms.
Most of the time you will be reading cards, tell stories and combine clues. Not much to do wrong here, I would say. And the rule book is not the best but ok for explaining a spoiler-full game without spoiling the reader.

Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Any major things that can get screwed up?

What we messed with the first couple of times without noticing:
- In the riposte step of a die roll/fight you may only lose up to one (1!) life point.
- The Agency symbol that makes you keep a card in between runs can be on each type of card you revealed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was pushed til tonight because the family had other plans. I didn't realize people have responsibilities, hehe. I will update tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we started late because I had volleyball but we got everything laid out and did the first stuff, picked our things, and made our way to the next step. My daughter read the first card and then we looked at what she read about and then I asked "does it say anything else?" And she said no! I figured that was a good time to stop for tonight so she could get ready for bed and school the next day. This also gives me a chance to figure out what I'm supposed to do next, hehe. It's cool so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished our first run. It went well.

We were a little confused at the timing and subsequent lowering of TU in regards to changing locations. If one person interacted with a card but the other two players had nothing they wanted to do we have to spend that TU and then move locations. Correct? During this move we roll the die and deduct more TU.

Now if we all started on cards but then spent a TU to move yo different cards but still did not interact with that card can we choose, as one of the three choices, to move to a whole new location, not just another card. If so, foes this cost 1 TU for the move action and then 1-3 TU based on the die roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Finished our first run. It went well.

Cool.

You might want to have another look into the Official FAQ because especially the first bullet points are about spending TU

Re4isnumber1 wrote:
We were a little confused at the timing and subsequent lowering of TU in regards to changing locations.

(you are not alone ).

I’ll try to answer your questions as long as I understood them correctly:

Re4isnumber1 wrote:
If one person interacted with a card but the other two players had nothing they wanted to do we have to spend that TU and then move locations. Correct? During this move we roll the die and deduct more TU.

Seems correct to me. For the interaction you need to spend a TU. During the TU the others could do just nothing or - as we usually do it - at least move to and look at another card of the location (maybe even the location where the interaction is happening).

Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Now if we all started on cards but then spent a TU to move yo different cards but still did not interact with that card can we choose, as one of the three choices, to move to a whole new location, not just another card. If so, foes this cost 1 TU for the move action and then 1-3 TU based on the die roll?

You spend the TU for changing cards. The location change (incl. die roll) happens afterwards. So, you’re correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
If one person interacted with a card but the other two players had nothing they wanted to do we have to spend that TU and then move locations. Correct? During this move we roll the die and deduct more TU.

The sequence is:
Spend 1TU, then ALL Agents

Move to a new Space,
Attempt a test,
Do nothing.

For the final two options, if a combat test is not defeated, then check for ripostes and/or black shields.

Once all Agents have completed their actions for the TU then you may close the Location, roll the TIME Captain's die and open a new Location (note that you cannot open the Location you have just closed).

Re4isnumber1 wrote:

Once you spend 1TU each Agent has to resolve an action as above. If Agents move to a space they must read the card there, if it contains a lock then the Agent/s must spend subsequent TUs until the test is defeated. Moving to a new Location is not an action that can be used in a TU, it is only available after a TU has been fully resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that all makes sense.

I just remembered another situation we had. I'm going to use completely different info to convey the same question as not to include spoilers. One player looked at a card, decided to interact with the card as part of the spent TU. They were successful with their roll. This caused a reveal. During this reveal, let's say there was a dog and it attacked the player on the card. This dog attack is a locked interaction(not important), the question I have is does thin new situation take a new TU being spent or is it still part of the last one because of the reveal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must spend another (new) TU for each round fighting the dog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 1TU:
Attempt and defeat the test. Reveal the new card (put the original card aside for the rest of this run), the TU is resolved for this Agent and the Agent is locked, the dog does not attack the Agent.

For 1TU:
The Agent cannot move and so must attempt the test to defeat the dog or do nothing.

The Agent attempts the test:
If the dog is defeated gain any reward and put the card aside for the rest of this run (the TU is resolved for this Agent).
If the dog is not defeated then check for riposte (the TU is resolved for this Agent).

The Agent does nothing:
If the dog has at least one red skull then the Agent automatically loses 1LP (the TU is resolved for this Agent).
If the dog has no red skulls then the Agent is unharmed (the TU is resolved for this Agent).

Other Agents may move to the card before or after the Agent takes an action in this, second, TU (unless it's after and there is no card because the dog has been defeated), but they are unable to act any further once there until the next, third, TU.

All of the above is as per base rules and takes no account of special abilities or rules amended by cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok cool, that's how we played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question, I'm at work right now but when I get home we will be completing our second attempt which we started last night.

I think we played it right but I just want to double check because I hate playing wrong. So we went to a new location, we all went to the same spot, this card led to a task(not one of the 3 ways to spend TU), once we completed it we went to another location. At this point, we rolled the Time Captain Die and lowered our TU. The question is were we correct to not lower the TU at that first location because nobody changed cards, rolled dice, or DID NOTHING?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Open a Location.

The team may then discuss what they see and decide if they want to enter the Location.

If the team decides not to enter the Location, close the Location, roll the TIME Captain's die and open a different Location (if one Agent enters then all must enter).

If they decide to enter the Location, place the pawns on any available Space/s.

Read and replace the card/s, each Agent relates what they have seen and takes any Items found.

If no Agent is locked the team may close the Location.

ALL of the above costs 0TU, you were correct.

Note that if you are instructed to change Location, you must still roll the TIME Captain's die unless otherwise instructed.

Carry on Agent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attempt #3 will be tonight. We did a lot on the 2'nd play but it just wasn't enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Emergency Protocol initiated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
Emergency Protocol initiated.

Is that a SPOILER for me? Should I look?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Shouldn't be a spoiler for you- you can look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has turned out to be a disaster. We have been everywhere and can't figure out how to end the game. It's kind of ruining the experience. I'll update when it's done, I have to go check the forums.

Edit: I don't know how to feel. We ended up failing again, which I'm not specifically mad at, but we could have failed a lot earlier and moved on to the next play. So much time was wasted not understanding what a certain card was able to do which caused us to go everywhere all over again for no reason. Part of the problem was that the person who went there first may not have conveyed exactly what was being looked at. When we finally went back and I looked at the card the wording triggered me but still left us very confused but back on track.

For me, I think the card could have expressed what the situation was without ruining the big picture. With all that said, I'm still looking forward to completing, what should be, our final round and moving on to The Marcy Case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris...

You can't fail your third run, because the Emergency Protocol has been initiated and the team has unlimited TU.

If you have a specific query, and can't find the answer elsewhere, post it here and I and other TIME Agents will try to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not how we failed. We made a specific choice that caused mission failure and we were directed to read a certain fail card. We were told to read a few item cards and one of them said we were ready to move on to the next case. We are still thinking of trying the first case one more time looking for a success.

Edit: Maybe we should just take an L and move on to the next case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.