Hide
15 Posts

Dominion: Adventures» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you pay off a -1 money token the turn you get it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex McDunna
msg tools
I want to buy "ball" and pay off the debt the turn I get it. Is this possible if I have 6 money? I know that works with debt tokens, but I'm not sure if it's the same with the -1 token. Can I buy a card with some of my treasures and pay off the debt with others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Unlike Debt, the -1 Money token kicks in when you receive money. At the point where you buy the Event, you've already received all the money you're going to for the phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Debt can be in the manner you described b/c the rulebook covers that case...

It uses no +Buys, and can be paid off at any time during the Buy phase AFTER treasures have been played, with coins, even at multiple points... e.g. at the start of your buy phase, then once again at the end after buying something that costs debt

The -1 coin token only goes away as you're gaining at least +1 coins, of which you won't get a chance to do that again until you play Treasures or play Actions that generate coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
David Goldfarb wrote:
No. Unlike Debt, the -1 Money token kicks in when you receive money. At the point where you buy the Event, you've already received all the money you're going to for the phase.

Correct; the -$1 token is a lot like Debt but is not quite Debt.

Of course, Dominion being what it is, there are ways to somehow receive more $ the same turn you got the token, e.g. buy Villa and play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
donaldx wrote:
Of course, Dominion being what it is, there are ways to somehow receive more $ the same turn you got the token

Surprisingly few, though? The only other one I can think of is to gain Blessed Village and get lucky with the Boons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Of course, Dominion being what it is, there are ways to somehow receive more $ the same turn you got the token, e.g. buy Villa and play it.

I tried to think of any way to do that, but didn't remember Villa, or Blessed Village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
clivej wrote:
donaldx wrote:
Of course, Dominion being what it is, there are ways to somehow receive more $ the same turn you got the token

Surprisingly few, though? The only other one I can think of is to gain Blessed Village and get lucky with the Boons.

I wouldn't say surprisingly few, since it's a pretty weird thing. Not many though.

Another: at Night, play a Werewolf with a +$1 token from Training on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This all puts to light one reason why Sacred Grove (from Nocturne) has a clause that other players do NOT receive the Boons that give +$1 (The Forest and Field's Gifts)... that could've been a way to remove your -1 Coin Token out of turn! wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
This all puts to light one reason why Sacred Grove (from Nocturne) has a clause that other players do NOT receive the Boons that give +$1 (The Forest and Field's Gifts)... that could've been a way to remove your -1 Coin Token out of turn! wow

Of course that had nothing to do with it. The idea was purely to avoid confusion with Boons that don't do anything when it's not your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Of course that had nothing to do with it. The idea was purely to avoid confusion with Boons that don't do anything when it's not your turn.
I'd figure that as much, but it seems like it still could've been a separate issue.

You could argue that coins aren't retained from one turn to the next (noting that Guilds has Coin Tokens, physical tokens, that by nature work differently), but then not doing so would bring up if the coins would've had any effect on -1 Coin Tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As it happens, you can already get rid of your –$1 token when it's not your turn, via playing Caravan Guard as a reaction when you have your +$1 token on the Caravan Guard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
As it happens, you can already get rid of your –$1 token when it's not your turn, via playing Caravan Guard as a reaction when you have your +$1 token on the Caravan Guard pile.

Technically that doesn't do it, as you don't get the $1 from Caravan Guard until the start of your next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
David Goldfarb wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:

Technically that doesn't do it, as you don't get the $1 from Caravan Guard until the start of your next turn.

Not Caravan Guard's normal +$1; the token from Training. You get that +$1 when you play the card, even if it's a Duration card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
In which case, not allowing Sacred Grove to give other players coins from those 2 Boons still did make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:

Not Caravan Guard's normal +$1; the token from Training. You get that +$1 when you play the card, even if it's a Duration card.

Right, I read too quickly and missed that last clause. Thanks for the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.