Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Player windows in the Enemy phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex W.
msg tools
According to the manual, during the Enemy phase the only player windows are:

One before each player’s “loop” where they take damage and horror.
One before the phase ends.

Is that correct? There’s no player window between enemies, so you’re limited to reactive effects during, but can also use free triggered abilities between (and after) each player’s “loop”?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sockatume wrote:
According to the manual, during the Enemy phase the only player windows are:

One before each player’s “loop” where they take damage and horror.
One before the phase ends.

Is that correct? There’s no player window between enemies, so you’re limited to reactive effects during, but can also use free triggered abilities between (and after) each player’s “loop”?


Unless it specifies, "during your turn", you can use them anytime. Reaction timing is explicit, usually 'when or if'. In which case it can be triggered.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sockatume wrote:
According to the manual

I think you may have your answer there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:
Unless it specifies, "during your turn", you can use them anytime.

You can only use free triggered abilities during player windows.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
bern1106 wrote:
Unless it specifies, "during your turn", you can use them anytime.

You can only use free triggered abilities during player windows.


Yes, but some cards say explicitly only during your turn. Such as Assets that may be exhausted. Pathfinder comes to mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry yes of course they are limited to player windows, but as that was the discussion, I assumed that would be understood...soooorrreee...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
bern1106 wrote:
Unless it specifies, "during your turn", you can use them anytime.

You can only use free triggered abilities during player windows.


Yes, but some cards say explicitly only during your turn. Such as Assets that may be exhausted. Pathfinder comes to mind.

bern1106 wrote:
Sorry yes of course they are limited to player windows, but as that was the discussion, I assumed that would be understood...soooorrreee...

Ah. No worries. I thought you were saying that you could use them literally anytime (i.e, outside of a player window).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W.
msg tools
I guess what’s throwing me is that, with everything else that iterates, you get a Player Window at each iteration and they’re obvious from the basic rules. With enemy attacks, that doesn’t occur; you get one Player Window before the entire batch of attacks for that player.

I’m probably overthinking it and there is no logical thing you could do with a Player Window between each enemy attack.

Edit - for example, there at Events that can be used after an enemy attacks a player, but the only Player Windows are before each player resolves *all* the enemy attacks on them, and after all players have done this. Or am I not understanding what a Player Window represents?

Do they *only* define the use of triggered abilities?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sockatume wrote:
I guess what’s throwing me is that, with everything else that iterates, you get a Player Window at each iteration and they’re obvious from the basic rules. With enemy attacks, that doesn’t occur; you get one Player Window before the entire batch of attacks for that player.

I’m probably overthinking it and there is no logical thing you could do with a Player Window between each enemy attack.

Edit - for example, there at Events that can be used after an enemy attacks a player, but the only Player Windows are before each player resolves *all* the enemy attacks on them, and after all players have done this. Or am I not understanding what a Player Window represents?

Do they *only* define the use of triggered abilities?


There are ways during the enemy phase to avoid being hit. Some fast cards can do this, they are played from your hand at the specified timing point (not necessarily a player window). Like Dodge for example, or Aquinnah, if circumstances are right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sockatume wrote:
Edit - for example, there at Events that can be used after an enemy attacks a player


Golden Rule applies - if a card tells you exactly when you can use it, you don't need any additional information. RR has clarifications for words like "When" and "After".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W.
msg tools
Thanks all, I'll only deal with player windows where there's no other timing information.

I made the classic mistake of trying to read, cover to cover, the rules reference for a game I know how to play perfectly well, completely shattering my comprehension of simple concepts in the process.

I'm currently playing as Daisy so this is probably in character.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
... Leave early.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sockatume wrote:
... I made the classic mistake of trying to read, cover to cover, the rules reference for a game I know how to play perfectly well, completely shattering my comprehension of simple concepts in the process.


There should be a name for this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokeweed Mitogen wrote:
sockatume wrote:
... I made the classic mistake of trying to read, cover to cover, the rules reference for a game I know how to play perfectly well, completely shattering my comprehension of simple concepts in the process.




There should be a name for this.


Mental profibulation...I think I just made that up. Sounds right though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W.
msg tools
Yeah I profibulated myself pretty bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieter S.
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there, pretty new player here.
Just saw this and resurrect this thread for a question.

Since I did not know that there are player windows in the enemy phase as well, does this mean that - when an enemy in my location with 1 life is present I can feed him my beat cop and kill the enemy without taking damage?

br, D.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wowbagger1966 wrote:
Hi there, pretty new player here.
Just saw this and resurrect this thread for a question.

Since I did not know that there are player windows in the enemy phase as well, does this mean that - when an enemy in my location with 1 life is present I can feed him my beat cop and kill the enemy without taking damage?

br, D.


Yes, the Beat Cop can be used any time you see a little lightning squiggle in the RR turn breakdown (it's towards the end of the RR). If it's upgraded Beat Cop, it also has to be Ready.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wowbagger1966 wrote:
Hi there, pretty new player here.
Just saw this and resurrect this thread for a question.

Since I did not know that there are player windows in the enemy phase as well, does this mean that - when an enemy in my location with 1 life is present I can feed him my beat cop and kill the enemy without taking damage?

br, D.


There are two player windows in the enemy phase, just after the hunter enemy move and just before the engagement check is made. So if you activate your Beat Cop between 3.2 and 3.3, you're fine.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieter S.
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys, you're great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.