Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Played the full game for the first time yesterday (7 hours, 2 players).

We had the Scholar Colony available and both upped to level 2 as quickly as possible in era 2. We both had the institute as well.

I played about 25 cards, whereas my opponent probably played about 55 cards. He ended up getting 71 points from just cards (I had 25 points or so).

Is it normal that so many cards get played in a full game with the Scholar colony?

It really seemed to slow down the game. Get cards, study cards, decided which cards to play, getting benefits from the cards, getting stuff from cards at the end of the year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did that many Improvements get played? Did you go to the Developer every turn? I’m not sure that’s even possible. After a dozen or so games I’ve seen a lot of Improvements get played. But you can only play Improvements:

1. During era 1 only at the Developer.
2. If you have the scholar colony and upgrade to Level 2 then in era 2 forward you can play a card every time you draw at the librarian.
3. If you build an Institute which doesn’t come out till era 2 (I think) then you can play 2 improvements at the developer.

So if the Developer was adjacent to the Librarian and you only drew cards that required no resources (which is likely impossible), the most Improvements you could play in era 1 is 10.

And then if you built the scholar’s colony to level 2 in era 2 (which would take at least two years to gather resources) and also built the institute, then maybe you could play 10-13 cards in era 2. And that is best case scenario which is likely impossible.

And then if you just went from the developer to the librarian and back in eras 3 and 4 and again drew card that required no resources then I guess you could build 5 improvements each year times five years times two eras for 50 improvements.

But I think this is impossible because a large percentage require resources. Just estimating, if you dedicated yourself to Improvements and got the Scolar colony and Institute our as soon as possible then 30-40 cards would seem to be the best possible number. So to answer your question, no what you experienced does not seem to be likely. In fact, is itpossible you did something wrong? Maybe I’m missing something. It’s been a month or two since I last played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Correct, developer and librarian were next to each other and both next to the same market. From Era II on, you go to the librarian, draw 4 keep 2 and then, because of the institute and Scholar level 2, you play 2 cards. Hopefully the 2 cards you played were cheap ones that gave you resources. Then you jump to developer and play another 2 cards and potentially using the resources the other 2 cards just gave you.

That is 4 cards per season. In theory 8 cards per year.

At the end of the year (Scholar colony again) you draw 2 and keep 1. Adding another card to your hand.

Let's say it took you 2 years in era II to get the level 2 Scholar colony and the institute. That means from year 3 on in Era II you could in theory play 4 cards per season, 8 cards per year. 13 years times 8 cards equal 104 cards. Add another 10 cards or so you played in your first 7 years and you can probably play about 110 cards...

55 doesn't seem too crazy now. Unless I am wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deric W
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
Correct, developer and librarian were next to each other and both next to the same market. From Era II on, you go to the librarian, draw 4 keep 2 and then, because of the institute and Scholar level 2, you play 2 cards. Hopefully the 2 cards you played were cheap ones that gave you resources. Then you jump to developer and play another 2 cards and potentially using the resources the other 2 cards just gave you.

That is 4 cards per season. In theory 8 cards per year.

At the end of the year (Scholar colony again) you draw 2 and keep 1. Adding another card to your hand.

Let's say it took you 2 years in era II to get the level 2 Scholar colony and the institute. That means from year 3 on in Era II you could in theory play 4 cards per season, 8 cards per year. 13 years times 8 cards equal 104 cards. Add another 10 cards or so you played in your first 7 years and you can probably play about 110 cards...

55 doesn't seem too crazy now. Unless I am wrong...

It's been awhile since I've played, and I don't claim to be a rules expert, so take this with a grain of salt. But I don't see where you're getting the cards to play this many, even in an ideal setup (i.e. Library Next to developer, quickest possible upgrades, etc.). If you go to the library and draw 4 keep 2, and then play 2, you've netted 0 cards in hand, then if you go to the deliver and play 2 more, your net amount of cards in hand is -2. If you only do each of these once per half year (more is possible by going library, developer, library in spring and then developer, library, developer in the fall) you will lose 3 cards per year even after counting the free production card. So, somehow you will have to make that up or the engine is unsustainable (even discounting the resource costs of playing the cards and actions needed to gain those resources). Again, I'm no expert, so there's probably something really simple that I'm missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that’s feasible. Requires a lot of things to fall just right though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you also got spectacularly lucky with the draws, I would question how you were able to build so many since, especially in the later game, they take a fair number of resources. And if you are spending all your time drawing and playing cards, you’ll be doing little else.

Plus there is the six card hand limit with no discards or exchanges allowed.

So what were the final end game scores?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
420 vs 255

From what I read you can discard cards if you have the library. Let's say I have six cards already, I can then draw 4, discard two and then from the 8 cards left I can discard any 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, the Scholar Colony and the Library let you temporarily exceed your hand size so long as you discard down to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That..is very unusual in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.