11 Posts

This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Compared to Dead of Winter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sith Lord
msg tools
mbmb
After watching Rahdo's Runthrough, this looks like Dead of Winter, in theme and gameplay.

I didn't mind DoW but always felt it went on too long.

People who've played both, what are your thoughts? Are they similar or very different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a MUCH longer game than dead of winter, but the theme just pours off it.

There is no traitor aspect or individual goals, you survive or you don't.

They feel very different.

I would much rather be shot at by snipers while scavenging for coffee than ever rolling that f'ing frostbite die ever again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sith Lord
msg tools
mbmb
When you say it's a much longer game. Are you talking about the game as a whole or just one 'Day' of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dow takes about 2 hours, twom takes about 7 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole game is much longer. Honestly it plays completely different. As someone mentioned upthread theme is so strong here. This is a game that Matters and presents a very real situation to players to deal with. DoW is just Zombies slapped on a skeletal game with a poorly utilized gimmick in the crossroads cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wraxall
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the fact they've both on a board and have cards, I'm struggling for real relevant comparatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Greenaway
United Kingdom
Blackpool
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This War Of Mine is a possible real life experience which you have to deal with.
There are decisions to be made which you wont take lightly because you KNOW they will all have true to life consequences.
Get them wrong and you WILL die.
Don't play this game if you are concerns about the effects of war on people and their lives.
Otherwise buckle up and hold tight because the next day could be your last.

That about sums it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goblin981 wrote:
When you say it's a much longer game. Are you talking about the game as a whole or just one 'Day' of it?

Whole game could take 6-8 hours depending on where the ceasefire is. (It could take 30 minutes if it goes REALLY BADLY)

However the game is designed that it can be saved at any time and picked up again later, so you can break it into chunks.

My wife and I played it in a 4 hour and 3 hour session wrapped up today... actually won it too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Pr1celess
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I buy this game I also think that it similar to Dead of Winter. But you feel difference in the first game. This War of Mine more narrative and with mechanics which allow you to change game rules by your decisions. So for me it is more like Arkham Horror LCG on steroids.

Ecpecially I like original and not-so-hard designer solution of replayability - each "event" consists from several different random actions. Like a "Draw card, read it, then draw color card to see effect, then throw dice to see result". Chances to see exactly this "event" very low. And it'is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was excited when I bought Dead of Winter, but playing it several times solo and with my wife turned me off on the game - I imagine the game is at its best multi-player, with an active traitor and all that entails, but as a solo game, or as a two-player non-confrontational game, it fell flat IMHO.
This War of Mine, on the other hand, was fun the first time I tried playing solo and every time since - a really well designed game that tackles a heavy topic in a thought provoking way while still giving players a real game, with interesting/fun decisions. It’s innovative, easy to learn, and while its long it does give you that ‘just one more turn’ feeling. You feel like you are making progress, building your shelter, acquiring/building items, and making tough/agonising decisions just about every turn. Some people might not care for the randomness in the game, but from my point of view it’s no more random then Eldritch Horror. For me Dead of Winter felt like the decisions were not that difficult/interesting without the multi-player / competing agenda portion of the game. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gil Winters wrote:
I was excited when I bought Dead of Winter, but playing it several times solo and with my wife turned me off on the game - I imagine the game is at its best multi-player, with an active traitor and all that entails, but as a solo game, or as a two-player non-confrontational game, it fell flat IMHO.
This War of Mine, on the other hand, was fun the first time I tried playing solo and every time since - a really well designed game that tackles a heavy topic in a thought provoking way while still giving players a real game, with interesting/fun decisions. It’s innovative, easy to learn, and while its long it does give you that ‘just one more turn’ feeling. You feel like you are making progress, building your shelter, acquiring/building items, and making tough/agonising decisions just about every turn. Some people might not care for the randomness in the game, but from my point of view it’s no more random then Eldritch Horror. For me Dead of Winter felt like the decisions were not that difficult/interesting without the multi-player / competing agenda portion of the game. Hope this helps.

Exactly my opinion about these two games, yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.