Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: WotR - Onlilne - How to? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need some support. WotR is new to me... and I love it! I've played 3 F2F games. I know some play this online but it is not a vassal file..

How do you play online? Can I get a link to the file... and support getting it loaded properly.

Any support is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I built a page specifically for this. Hope it helps (if anything is unclear, please let me know and I'll update it to help other new players also!).
https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1733
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Are there any screenshots of what the online implementation looks like? I mean, I don't have a clue... are we talking about online players moving actual pieces on a board and rolling dice akin to a live Vassal game? Or does the client simply serve more as an administrative app that expects the player to have a physical copy of the game setup?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Barry, if you go to the above page, you can download the client, see how it looks, and my page has full instructions on how to move actual pieces etc. The pieces move around on the board, the client can roll dice, draw cards from the deck, etc. It works really really well (nicer than Vassal in my opinion, but then it was written just for this one game so is nicely tailored to WOTR), very easy to use (Andrew Poulter great job writing it). The client does not include the Character cards, so someone without those will not be able to play it (and that's by intent - the client is only meant for people that own physical copies of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, I was looking for a way to play my brother who's half way across the country. Whenever I visit I bring my physical copy of the game. But the visits are becoming less frequent which is why I was looking to play him online instead of having to visit.

Thx, again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few of us play online quite regularly from all over the world by the way. I usually play about 1 game per week. It should not take you long to get going with the client (happy to help anytime if you'd like) and if you get going soon, you and your brother could both join this years World Championship tournament (about 50+ usually join, a nice competition to get involved in). World Championship details are here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1914898/war-ring-2018-inter...
If you join the Facebook group, that is a great way to arrange games with other players also
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, again, the only problem is that I'm the one who owns the game. So he won't have the cards, etc. And he won't buy a copy considering that I already have one and I'm the only person he plays the game with.

Not a big deal. He'll just have to wait till my next visit, or perhaps he can come visit me! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh G
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Yeah, again, the only problem is that I'm the one who owns the game. So he won't have the cards, etc. And he won't buy a copy considering that I already have one and I'm the only person he plays the game with.

Not a big deal. He'll just have to wait till my next visit, or perhaps he can come visit me! whistle

Could you not take scans of the cards and send them to him?

I've got the same issue with my dad. I'd like to play with him, but circumstances prevent us from sitting at the same table. So in my ideal world I'd play with a laptop while he moves the physical pieces around his board.

Does the client allow for that? i.e., can I tell it what dice were rolled/cards were drawn? Or does the person with the software need to be the "gm"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything that the board would show, the software shows. The die results, what's left in the hunt pool, what tiles are drawn, what cards are played. The only secret information is the cards, and those can be seen by each respective player in full text, no need to have copies of the card at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The file will not load on my computer. Any suggestions on what the problem is? I use the computer for Vassal games.

Appreciate the support thus far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing is to make sure it is unzipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.