Subject: "Per layer" / "Per station" - Instability Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
Hi,

I couldn't find an exact answer to this in the threads, so... the way the rules are written, it says you're supposed to be drawing instability cards "per station" you're activating. Then it says "per layer" to explain how many.

The illustrated example of activation on the previous page is EXTREMELY unfortunate, because it doesn't address this simple, but important situation:

If you're activating, say, 3 energy stations in layer 2 of the sun, do you draw 2 instability cards ("per layer" - since they're in the same layer) or 6 instability cards ("per station per layer" - since you're activating 3 stations in the layer which draws 2 cards each).

This has a potentially dramatic effect on the length of the game, so I wanted to make sure this is clear.

We have been playing the second option (6 cards) but I've been wondering if we've been potentially significantly shortening the game as a result.

It'd be best if the game designer would respond please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each station you activate causes instability cards to be drawn. When drawing for any particular station, the number of cards drawn is determined by the depth. So if you activate 3 stations, you look at each station separately in turn and decide how many cards to draw for that station, then move onto the next. In your example you'd draw a total of 6 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sol Rulebook, page 16 wrote:
When you convert or activate in any of the 3 layers of the Sun, you must draw instability cards. For multiple activations, cards are drawn for each station activated in that turn

Emphasis mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of stations activated will determine how many times you have to draw, and the number of cards you draw each time depends on the layer that a specific station is in.

It is cumulative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Spangler
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, everyone responding here is correct. You draw cards for each station activated. The number of cards drawn for each station is based on the layer each station is in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.