BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Economic strategy game with high player interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, I am looking for suggestions on an economic game which has high player interaction and an auction system. We love Power Grid so I am hoping to add another one. I have looked at Indonesia and Food Chain Magnate but I am hoping to find something that isn't too fiddly.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kit Strong
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You might want to look into Sidereal Confluence. I played it for the first time yesterday and it's a lot of fun and highly interactive. Not fiddly at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m a big fan of Outpost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
abdullah aloraifan
msg tools
Hello there my suggestion is to look after tesla vs Edison the war of current
It is power grid but way more advanced that have stock market mechanism that let you buy on another player company shares and to sell it and dumping his market value with auction mechanic also to buy invinter to help you running the company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
Hi everyone, I am looking for suggestions on an economic game which has high player interaction and an auction system. We love Power Grid so I am hoping to add another one. I have looked at Indonesia and Food Chain Magnate but I am hoping to find something that isn't too fiddly.

Thanks!

Food chain magnate isn't fiddly. Indonesia can be. But food chain magnate really isn't and is a fabtastic economic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
Hi everyone, I am looking for suggestions on an economic game which has high player interaction and an auction system. We love Power Grid so I am hoping to add another one.

Perhaps Power Grid: Factory Manager or Age of Steam? (Both have auctions for turn order.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ville pääkkö
Finland
flag msg tools
Economic Strategy game with auction and one of my favorites https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/555/princes-florence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on exactly how broadly or narrowly you define economic, I think The Great Zimbabwe is probably looking into. It's not a game where most money wins, you're building up monuments for points, and there's a major logistics aspect, but the economy is important. A big part of the game is figuring out what goods to make available to the other players and how to price them such that they want to buy them but also you make money (cows). I really like how the economy is mostly closed, where the cows are mostly just moving from player to player, and you're actually selling to each other rather than all just trying to sell to the game. This means that you need to create something worthwhile or your money will dry up and you won't be able to do much. And there's a really unique auction for turn order at the beginning of the round, and especially in later rounds it's really important. And it's by the same people as FCM and Indonesia but it's shorter and less fiddly than either.

Alternatively you might enjoy Chicago Express, which is a game of auctioning for shares in five train companies and building their routes to different cities to earn dividends on those shares by improving the routes the companies can make. I'm hardly an expert at this point, but it seems to me like the interaction is done in an interesting and fairly unique (at least for a game this short) way. And you can find it for pretty cheap. Though it is a game that's probably going to be a bit weird for your first play or two. But it's really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Seitz

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
Stockpile is lighter but extremely fun and interactive, with auctions as the main mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neue Heimat - Not easy to find, but a simple DIY project. Highly interactive, some would say cut-throat. Interesting auctions with a closed economy. Not fiddly at all.

Edit - I see Capstone Games is reprinting NH this year. If you're not a DIY type, it should be available later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
Neue Heimat - Not easy to find, but a simple DIY project. Highly interactive, some would say cut-throat. Interesting auctions with a closed economy. Not fiddly at all.

Edit - I see Capstone Games is reprinting NH this year. If you're not a DIY type, it should be available later this year.

I second this. I've enjoyed it a fair amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisoc13 wrote:
remus wrote:

This sounds interesting - a "closed economy" - I guess this means it is player driven? I'll take a closer look at this as well.

Thanks for suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
badge
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid, but more varied, a bit heavier, and with an auction?

Sounds like you want to play Age of Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad M
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You want Container if you can find an older copy or wait for the jumbo version to come out in a month or so. It is a closed economy where you produce and buy goods from each other and then there is an auction for those goods when someone delivers them to the island in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMONE DONNINI
Italy
Varese
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly suggest Food Chain Magnate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
chrisoc13 wrote:
remus wrote:

This sounds interesting - a "closed economy" - I guess this means it is player driven? I'll take a closer look at this as well.

Thanks for suggestions

"Closed economy" refers to the fact that each player starts with a certain amount of money and that money changes hands from player to player throughout the game (via winning auctions) without any new money being brought into the game from an outside source such as a bank.

Actually, Neue Heimat's economy could be considered a "shrinking economy" because players are allowed to stash away money (as illegal earnings) to be scored at the end of the game. When a player does this, they remove that money from the economy, so it can't be used to bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bm6262 wrote:
You want Container if you can find an older copy or wait for the jumbo version to come out in a month or so. It is a closed economy where you produce and buy goods from each other and then there is an auction for those goods when someone delivers them to the island in the middle.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one that fits your criteria is Chicago Express.

It's a train/stock game where you forge temporary alliances with various players. Very interactive. For example, let's say there's a company with only 3 shares available. You and another player each own one share, so you're working together to build up the revenue for that company and then later your opponent puts the final share of that company up for auction and they win the share and become the majority shareholder. Now you can turn against your former "partner" and do everything in your power to tank that company and make sure your opponent doesn't get the windfall he was hoping for.

That's a very simple example, there are lots of little exploitative nuances in the game to discover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
A new one that just came out that would fit is Iberian Rails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
if you can find a copy of Grand Cru, you might be pleased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponzi Scheme is one of my favorite economic games. It doesn't have an auction, but there is a lot of interaction and fun twist on negotiation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dice Tower just had a favorable review for Incorporated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Like most say, Food Chain Magnate isn't fiddly, it's just amazing. Indonesia is a bit fiddly but still fine and also amazing.

Here are 4 very differnt games that feature either money or a strong auction system or both.

Tramways: has a very good/brutal auction system and is an amazing game, highly recommend it. While it deals with victory points (happyness points) it really is all about making money and you just convert money into victory points.

18xx: the 18xx system is all about an economic simulation, no auction system though but at the very top of economic games together with Food Chain Magnate and Indonesia. 1846 is a good entry into the genre and there are good tutorials on youtube to get you started (heavy cardboard).

The Gallerist: it's about buying and selling art, an economic worker placer and a brilliant design. Highly recommended.

Cyclades: It might not look like it but this game is all about a brilliant auction system and money. Highly interactive, brilliant, brutal, good at all playercounts. I would not describe it as an economics game but if you like auctions this is a must have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Automobile would fit your criteria. You compete on a market where the supply consists of the cars produced by all the players and the demand consists of random demand tiles, of which you only have limited knowledge. The car factories are not auctioned like in Power Grid but the competition to get new factories is still fierce since older factories get disadvantages.

If you think Food Chain Magnate is too long, have a look at the shorter Splotter game The Great Zimbabwe. There is an auction for turn order and all the supply (craftsmen) is created and shared by the players so the competition is fierce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.