14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fantasy game for 3-4 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi guys, I could use your help. I'm looking for a game with the following characteristics:

-a strong magic/fantasy theme (not interested in Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones)
-for 3 to 4 players
-competitive (not cooperative, semi-cooperative option is okay)
-high/direct player interaction
-less than 2 hrs long
-simple but with depth

I was thinking of Wiz-War. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As I was reading your criteria, I was thinking to myself "Wiz-War, Wiz-War, Wiz-War" and then bam haha...

Especially because of the "high/direct player interaction" part. That really narrows it down.

Other than Wiz-War I can't really think of anything off the top of my head except for Battlelore with the second map (Epic expansion) to play a 2vs2 game. It's a big setup but the experience is Epic (as the name suggests ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua McDonald
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argent: the consortium. It's them is a magic school and you're competing for votes. Not sure that it qualifies as simple, and it has direct player interaction but I'm not sure how high you would consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Betrayal at Baldur's Gate? Traitor game mostly but has some chance to be fully co-op among the 50 possible scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should look into Arcadia Quest as well as Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep?
Tyrants of the Underdark?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are looking for Arcadia Quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'll check all of them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
-a strong magic/fantasy theme (not interested in Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones) CHECK

-for 3 to 4 players CHECK

-competitive (not cooperative, semi-cooperative option is okay) CHECK

-high/direct player interaction BIG CHECK

-less than 2 hrs long NO CHECK HERE

-simple but with depth WELL ITS QUITE SIMPLE

Talisman!!!!

wiz war is good too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could check out Mystic Vale, although it might not have the direct player interaction you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in miniature skirmish games?

If so, there are quite a couple to recommend, depending on your tastes ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm not too familiar with skirmish games, but I'll be happy to look into whatever you recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,
my own preference for skirmish games are rules that are indpendant from a certain range of miniatures.

Depending on your budget, there are several games to choose from:

Frostgrave (and its expansions) has been written to sell the publisher's miniatures, but technically can be played with miniatures from any range. Your warband consists of a wizard, his adept, and a couple (10 or so) of sellswords.
While you can play with few miniatures per side, one of the biggest strengths of Frostgrave is the "living" battlefield with creatures and monsters spawning, acting and reacting according to the rules and thus harassing the players even more than the other players.

For just a couple of bucks, you might want to look into Song of Blades and Heroes - a skirmish game for few (5-15) minis per team.
The combat system is relatively simple and the biggest bonus (in my eyes) is: No Bookkeeping! (i.e. you don't need to track lifepoints and stuff)

If you want to go for a free game, you might want to look into my own creation:

Whack & Slaughter is a miniature independant miniature skirmish game, means, you can play it with miniatures from whatever range you want!
In Whack & Slaughter, each player controls as few as 1 Hero (with 3 or 4 players, 2 Heros are fine as well), and the playing area doesn't need to be too big (24'' x 24'' are enough - as opposed to the other systems recommending 60'' x 60''), so W&S is highly cost efficient!
Don't be scared by the almost 100 pages for the rulebook: the first part is a tutorial, teaching you the basics of W&S and half of the book contains skills for your Heroes.
W&S is actually pretty easy to learn - but hard to master.
(And if there are ever any questions, I'll be around here and will be happy to reply )

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Travis
United States
California
flag msg tools
If you're interested in a game with a good campaign system, Arcadia Quest might be the game you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.