Subject: Good board game For Eight Year Old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,

I have an eight year old Godson who is highly intelligent and creative, he already made his own clay animation video, it was only about ten seconds in length but still very impressive.

I want to buy him a board game that is fun to play and is also a game that will challenge him.

Does anyone know a suitable game that would be good for him?

Thank You
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stone
Australia
Wavell Heights
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My eight year olds were totally comfortable with most of the standard "gateway" games: Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Splendor, Dominion.
They didn't enjoy King of Tokyo, but many other kids that age do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kingdomino when played with one another really is a great game.

Alternatively something like Forbidden Desert would be great as he could eventually play it by himself and it's a very thematic, challenging co-op / solo game.

An abstract game like Santorini could also be a great choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I will look at all those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play Apotheca with my 8 yo niece. She got very good at it. It's like "candy crush" meets Chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World is a game that teaches children the value of social interaction, and about how everyone isn't always the same but you still need to try your best. There are also geographical elements that allow them to discover new worlds and understand how regions have different characteristics.

If you're not into educational games, maybe you'd want to try something like:

Dixit, storytelling and descriptions/recognizing characteristics
+1 Forbidden Island, they can create different starting layouts and see how that impacts their successes
Kodama: The Tree Spirits visually-appealing game about trees and stuff, with counting and some planning involved
Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama who doesn't like drawing on dry-erase mats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:

Interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Two by Two with my eight year old last night (among others). She enjoyed it greatly. Be warned, it looks cute and happy but the game is pretty cutthroat...it took only a few minutes for my daughter to realize that her best plays were to send any animals her opponents desired to a watery grave. Lots of blocking and lots of those poor cute animals never make it onto the arks.

Maybe not the best game you can play with an eight year old, but my eight year old liked it and it was certainly at her level (i.e. I didn't have to help her play to keep her competitive).

Pete (would recommended unless your kid will cry when the unicorns die)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream can be a dream come true
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any personal experience, but I think Raptor would probably be really good for an intelligent 8 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeehoon Song
United States
Levittown
New York
flag msg tools
My nine and six year old daughters enjoyed Photosynthesis and 7 Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
You may want to look at some of the Think Fun games. Ones like Circuit Maze or Code Master Programming Logic Game are great for kids that age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United Kingdom
Chepstow
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 year old loves One Night Ultimate Werewolf, probably best of all.

She's also been enjoying Stone Age and Caverna, though she tires about 3/4 of the way through.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis has been a massive hit.

Then there's some lighter card games, Exploding Kittens, Organ Attack which she never seems to tire of.

Lastly Dixit is enjoyed but she rarely asks for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkolis
Greece
Piraeus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dominoes can help with math skills.
They’ll beat the hell out of you in Master Mind, Guess Who and ANY memory game.
I think they will also enjoy Jungle, the classic Chinese game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flash Point is always a good game for kids. There are basic and advanced rules so they can find the level of play they're happy with. It's a co-op game so everyone is working on the same team. And the theme of rescuing people from a burning house is one that even young children can understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream can be a dream come true
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
Flash Point is always a good game for kids. There are basic and advanced rules so they can find the level of play they're happy with. It's a co-op game so everyone is working on the same team. And the theme of rescuing people from a burning house is one that even young children can understand.

+1 for Flash Point. I don’t know why that one didn’t inmediately come to mind for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic and ICECOOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Boutwell
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 10 year old and a 6 year old and they enjoy Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters, The Magic Labyrinth, Labyrinth, and Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City.

My 10 year old got Survive: Escape from Atlantis! for Christmas and absolutely loves it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
Why has nobody mentioned Hive? I taught that game to a 7 or 8 yr old kid years ago and she loved. It's got bugs, what kid doesn't like bugs? Also, it's almost indestructible. Finally, it's pretty easy to learn but requires real skill to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm generally quite surprised at the level of games my young nieces and nephews can play with us. If an adult can take them through the game a couple of times, my 6,7, 9 and 10 year old nieces have had no problems playing any light to mid weight game.

It's really then the theme which makes them love a game or not. They have really enjoyed;

Betrayal at House on the Hill.
Survive, escape from Atlantis
Terror in Meeple City
Colt Express
King of Tokyo (But not as much as some of the others)
Jamaica
Santorini
Crokinole

skutsch wrote:
Why has nobody mentioned Hive? I taught that game to a 7 or 8 yr old kid years ago and she loved. It's got bugs, what kid doesn't like bugs? Also, it's almost indestructible. Finally, it's pretty easy to learn but requires real skill to win.

I almost did as Hive definitely works, my nieces and nephew just didn't seem as thrilled by it as some of the other games.

Ultimately it depends on the kids as well. Some games some of them love the others don't enjoy at all, so keep that in mind when buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.