badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows Flicker Like Flame's Crops Wither and Fade card says:
2 Fear.
Replace 1 Town with 1 Explorer.
Or
Replace 1 City with 1 Town.

Should this be played as
(a) Always providing the 2 Fear with the latter "replace" statement replacing only the former "replace" statement?
(b) Or, the latter "replace" statement replaces both the 2 Fear and the former "replace" statement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 Fear is separate from the 'or' statement, and happens regardless.

The same is true for Growth through Sacrifice, Sacrosanct Wilderness, Gift of the Primordial Deeps, and Gift of Flowing Power, which have similar wordings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcanist Lupus wrote:

The same is true for Growth through Sacrifice, Sacrosanct Wilderness, Gift of the Primordial Deeps, and Gift of Flowing Power, which have similar wordings.

Thanks for the clarification! I guess those power cards are in the expansion? I believe Crops Wither and Fade is the only one with that wording format in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct!

Growth Through Sacrifice is a Branch and Claw minor power, Sacrosanct Wilderness is a Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds starting power, and the Gifts are Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island (technically a Promo, not expansion) starting powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
Shadows Flicker Like Flame's Crops Wither and Fade card says:
2 Fear.
Replace 1 Town with 1 Explorer.
Or
Replace 1 City with 1 Town.

Should this be played as
(a) Always providing the 2 Fear with the latter "replace" statement replacing only the former "replace" statement?
(b) Or, the latter "replace" statement replaces both the 2 Fear and the former "replace" statement?

This should be reworded as:

2 Fear, then replace
either 1 Town with 1 Explorer
or 1 City with 1 Town.

And should appear in this page: https://querki.net/u/darker/spirit-island-faq/#!Crops+Wither...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. That's a lot wordier.* It would be enough, I think, to have a more distinct division between the 'or' clauses and the permanent clauses. Maybe a slightly different background color?

As for the FAQ, your wish is my command

Now if someone with more authority than I could double check that I'm not just making all this up, I'd very much appreciate it.

*By "much wordier", I realize that it's only like three extra words. But three words is a lot (especially for cards like Gift of the Primordial Deeps, and the 'then' and 'either' parts really need their own lines to match the styling of the the 'or' and thresholds. Which takes up even more space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
FAQ looks good. I've put in a change request for the next printing(†) to change the spacing so that there's more obvious distance between "2 Fear" and "Replace 1 Town with 1 Explorer", and less distance between the ~OR~ and the lines before/after it - I think that will make it clearer.

(Adding ", then either:" to the Fear line would, I think, work fine as well, but I'm slightly hesitant purely because it cues players that that wording is the norm for instructions not associated with ~OR~s... and cards may not always be able to accommodate that gracefully. I'd rather cue looking at the whitespace, if that proves reasonable.)

(†) = By which I mean not the 4th printing - for which files have already gone in - but the 5th printing, whenever that might happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darker wrote:
FAQ looks good. I've put in a change request for the next printing(†) to change the spacing so that there's more obvious distance between "2 Fear" and "Replace 1 Town with 1 Explorer", and less distance between the ~OR~ and the lines before/after it - I think that will make it clearer.

(Adding ", then either:" to the Fear line would, I think, work fine as well, but I'm slightly hesitant purely because it cues players that that wording is the norm for instructions not associated with ~OR~s... and cards may not always be able to accommodate that gracefully. I'd rather cue looking at the whitespace, if that proves reasonable.)

(†) = By which I mean not the 4th printing - for which files have already gone in - but the 5th printing, whenever that might happen.

How can I know which printing I have? Is it possible to buy the cards/rulebook that are improved in the next printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
masdero wrote:
How can I know which printing I have?
There's a FAQ on that. It doesn't yet address the third core game printing or the second Branch&Claw printing. I believe they explicitly say which printing they are on the outside of the box; can someone who has them physically verify this?
Quote:
Is it possible to buy the cards/rulebook that are improved in the next printing?
Not currently, no. Most of the tweaks are seriously very minor. You can read more about the details here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
masdero wrote:
There's a FAQ on that. It doesn't yet address the third core game printing or the second Branch&Claw printing. I believe they explicitly say which printing they are on the outside of the box; can someone who has them physically verify this?
Quote:
Is it possible to buy the cards/rulebook that are improved in the next printing?
Not currently, no. Most of the tweaks are seriously very minor. You can read more about the details here.

ok I have the core 2nd printing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcanist Lupus wrote:

The bonus cards "Gift of the primordial deeps" and "Gift of flowing power" (Serpent slumbering beneath the island) have better wording:

Do this.

Target spirit chooses to either:
do A
~or~
do B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
masdero wrote:

My base game box says "3RD PRINTING" on the back of the box, underneath the bar code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Eh. That's a lot wordier.* It would be enough, I think, to have a more distinct division between the 'or' clauses and the permanent clauses. Maybe a slightly different background color?

That would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.