Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Roby
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in game 3 I pushed my luck after completing my first narrative, Head Hunter. Which completing as the Treasure Hunter was interesting and every combat was a nail biter with me winning by only 1 or at most 2 points. Also by this point the Doom Counter had reached 5 so all those lovely Horrors were now tougher. Pushing on to complete another narrative was madness, but hey if I failed I could always just be another Deranged Explorer wondering the catacombs right?

Up next was Curse of the Moon. Madness indeed. I had to get past 4 Horrors to reach the Temple of the Moon and then cross the entire catacombs to reach the Chamber of the Sun. All while being chased by 4 or 5 Horrors! I was beginning to think of my death. It certainly seemed certain.

Then I remembered shifting. Reread the manual. Read it again and decided maybe I could do this. I started shifting through the rooms, right through one which had 3 Horrors! Reached the Temple of the Moon. Now the "race" was on to reach the Chamber of the Sun.

A room was coming up that I really wanted to interact with the inscription so I moved normally. Room roll was a 1! I was being punished for trying to sneak away! Nothing good in my hand as far as Horrors went and I knew this could be the end. Out came the Grave Guardian. Did I mention the Doom Counter was at 5, oh now 6. This Horror could now no longer be defeated. I could only hope to survive! Which I managed to do by 1 point on the die (AGAIN!). The other Horrors are closing in again.

So, I went back to shifting, sneaking away towards the Chamber of the Sun. As my movement phase came to an end I was breathing a sigh of relief. I had put some distance between me and the Horrors that were after me. But, was that a splash from the House of the Risen behind me? Yes! The Sussurent Slime had shifted and was now only one room behind me! Will I ever be able to escape?

I then managed to reach The Chamber of the Sun, but moved normally into the room so I could recover my health I had lost earlier. Mistake! The room roll was again a 2! Oh, how I felt cursed. But I had completed Narrative #2. I could end the game now and be safe!

But, no. I felt this overwhelming force saying keep going. Next Narrative - Looter. This should be easy as I had been able to fill every slot in my array with equipment and loot. But wait! I lost the Tesla Prototype to help defeat a Horror earlier. My hand was now empty! Should have been just a matter of shifting through the catacombs to complete another narrative, but now I had to locate another find of equipment. That meant fighting horrors, or interacting with rooms. My Doom Counter had hit 7 by this point so I'm dreading that. Not to mention the other narrative I had in hand was Disciple of the Old Ones (which is spelled Disiple on the card), but I was a long way from the Cloister of Stars.

But, press on I did. I could feel my sanity slipping away room by room. Bethel of the Scalesong is within reach and that extra expertise could help with defeating the horrors, but I would need to interact with the room and hop for a good room roll. Enter and ugh! - another 2! I can not escape this curse! The doom counter is now at 8 and I have a horror in my hand which I have to play. AHHHH!!! Tentacled Horror! Unless I can defeat this thing I'm going to be stuck here as the other horrors close in!

Let the battle begin! Thankfully I had regained all of my health because I lost! Now I'm back to 2 health. But I still need to defeat this thing before I can move on. Back into the fight! I mange to roll 1 better again and defeat my latest foe, but get nothing on the find roll. Really needed that one! The other horrors are still getting closer. Time to shift again!

I once again sneak past the chasing horrors. I have one move remaining. I decide to chance a room roll and hope to actually get a find my by hand. I'm standing in the Cloister of Stars and the curse strikes yet again! Another 2! The Doom Counter hits 9 and the game ends. But, wait! I win!

I win having completed 3 narratives, while avoiding 7 horrors who were on the board. All because of shifting in the seeking step. Without this movement option I know I wouldn't have made it past the first narrative. The odds were way to high against it. But, being able to "sneak" around and avoid combat as well as potentially bad room inscriptions and in my case this game, horrible room rolls allowed me to move around to complete 2 more.

I wonder if shifting should be a little more limited? Or did I don something wrong?

Each time I shifted I ignored hazards, did not use room inscriptions nor made room rolls. For those rooms with horrors I chose to not fight as combat is optional. I just keep moving, basically "sneaking" past them. Was this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Rick, this just in from James, my partner that wrote the rules. Its awesome to get feedback like this, we appreciate it very much!

"What a fun write up. I'm glad you had such a good time. Shifting is not normally available to Explorers. They must travel in order to get from room to room. Explorers can shift only when a game effect allows, such as the Ragamuffin's power of shifting one room during each turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Roby
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Owen Matthew wrote:
"What a fun write up. I'm glad you had such a good time. Shifting is not normally available to Explorers. They must travel in order to get from room to room. Explorers can shift only when a game effect allows, such as the Ragamuffin's power of shifting one room during each turn."

It seems I was doing something wrong then. I basically freely shifted in place of a "normal" move. Which certainly made it seem over powered.

Sure, you lose the interaction with the room inscription and room roll, but those have the potential to be fairly negative. Especially the way I've been cursed with the room rolls lately.

Limiting shifting to "specialized" instances does deal with the "problem" I was having with it. I mean, why wouldn't you shift through a couple of rooms filled with horrors to escape a dead end? Minimizing the risks of fighting a horror and negative room interactions while giving up the small change for a find / equipment is really a simple choice to make.

Movement just got oh so much more interesting. Dead ends in the catacombs just didn't feel that "dangerous" because I could just "sneak" by those horrors blocking my exit. This just got interesting!

Thanks Owen and James! Later today I'll be digging through the equipment and finds decks to seem if there is anything to help with that shifting. I haven't even looked at those cards other than what has come up in draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Matthew Aurelio
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Rick, I am glad that was clarified! I hadn't caught that in your write up, myself. Well, this will probably add quite a bit of danger to the game, loL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.