Angelus Morningstar
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I want to talk about Blood on the Clocktower again.

I know many of you are still only aware of it as "that social deduction game that Angelus raves about".

Last night, it took third place in nominations for the most anticipated party game of the year on the unofficial 2018 most anticipated games list.

On Saturday, I officially gave it my first and only 10/10 rating on Board Game Geek. Given that it alone constituted 20% of ALL the games I played in 2017, I think it qualifies for 'a game I will never stop wanting to play'.

There was a grassroots mobilisation of the fans. I think it's phenomenal that for a game that is largely localised to Sydney, it managed to enlisted such a ground base to get 150 people to vote (roughly half? are new registerees to BoardGameGeek)

Unless you've been to these games, its easy to misunderstand the engagement it provides. I mean it when I say that this game kills pretty much every other social deduction game for me. I find Avalon, Secret Hitler, and Werewolf unengaging in comparison.

On Jan 2nd, there was an impromptu gathering of Clocktower at one of the producer's homes. We ended up w/ 50 people at late notice through word of mouth. There were three games running simultaneously, back to back, for 5 hours.

I know it's not a game for everyone, because it's almost like a heavy party game: as much as those are a contradiction in terms. I want to call it a strategic social deduction game to show you how involved the strategies and tactics can be.

Mostly, this is just a pre-emptive response to why there is suddenly this massive explosion of people voting 10 on this game who are new registerees to BGG. They are people not normally integrated into the hobby, but they are engaged with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Wehrum
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morningstar_81 wrote:
Mostly, this is just a pre-emptive response to why there is suddenly this massive explosion of people voting 10 on this game who are new registerees to BGG. They are people not normally integrated into the hobby, but they are engaged with this game.

Half a year later - thanks for clarifying this! It just popped up in the list for the Essen SPIEL 2018, and a 9.3 rating out of 144 ratings made me pretty sceptical. It didn't help that most users only had that one rating.

I'm still sceptical, but I guess I'll just check it out myself in Essen if I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evin Donohoe
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tobias! I'm one of the producers for Blood on the Clocktower and we'd definitely love for you to come and play it at Spiel. I won't be there but the designer of the game, Steven Medway, will be there running games as often as possible all throughout Spiel. I recommend finding the booth early in the day and signing up for a spot as there will only be room for 9 players per hour.

Matt & Quinns of Shut Up & Sit Down played it last weekend at SHUX 2018 in Vancouver and had the following to say about it on their podcast: https://youtu.be/64CUXEKBpls?t=2358
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Wehrum
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like SU&SD absolutely loved the game. Nice! Looking forward to play it at SPIEL, and thanks for the recommendation to sign up early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.