Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Alley Cat character starts with no weapons, but is a Lycanthrope with the Claws skill (not item).

i can only assume that having Claws counts as being armed (for purposes of Unarmed Combat, page 25)? (Certain the Cat doesn't start out Unarmed!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
EL CERRITO
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Claws provides an attack, the attack is different from unarmed strike, so the penalties indicated under unarmed strike are not applied.

Anybody can use unarmed strike as an attack action regardless of whether or not they have other attacks available to them.

The penalty indicated (halving your power dice) only applies when you use the unarmed strike attack & does not apply simply for having no weapons

This means that if you do not use unarmed strike, your power die is not halved while trying to Escape. Likewise, if you choose to do nothing, your power die is not halved even if you have no weapons (you are simply focusing on defending yourself instead of exposing yourself to harm by trying to punch someone in the face).

The Banished Sorcerer is the only adventurer so far that starts the game with no attacks available other than Unarmed Strike. Luckily it starts with enough XP to learn Magic Missile & enough GP to buy a decent weapon if one is available (the monkey can help out with that too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cultofmars wrote:
Anybody can use unarmed strike as an attack action regardless of whether or not they have other attacks available to them.

The penalty indicated (halving your power dice) only applies when you use the unarmed strike attack & does not apply simply for having no weapons

So i can always make a "non-quite-unarmed" attack with full dice, provided i have some card (Item or Skill) which allows me an Attack, correct?

Is there ever a case where it makes sense to use/prefer Unarmed Strike (not counting the Banished Sorcerer)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
EL CERRITO
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yep, skills can give you an attack (claws, magic missile), items can give you an attack (ratspike, grave shovel), & some can even give you two different attacks to pick from (weighted pistol)

Quote:
Is there ever a case where it makes sense to use/prefer Unarmed Strike (not counting the Banished Sorcerer)?

not YET. however, it is possible to lose your items and even your skills
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cultofmars wrote:
Quote:

not YET. however, it is possible to lose your items and even your skills

Considering how deviously selfish and cutthroat this game is in regards to parceling out the experience and loot, I can see one very blatant reason you might choose to start lobbing some flaccid softballs at your designated enemy when approaching the fight's finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.