14 Posts

Clans of Caledonia» Forums » General

Subject: iOs Score Pad App - Latest Developments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Julian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My Score Pad App is almost complete. Here is a little video for you to see. I have some issue with the winners identification that I need to iron out.

https://youtu.be/uDWzqLd8PbI

I would like to get an idea if you would pay for an app like this as I am not currently a developer and it is quite costly.

Would you pay $0.99/£0.99/€0.99 for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chamberlain
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks functional but personally I just stick with score pads and if they run out I'll use paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Mononen
Finland
Kerava
flag msg tools
We nostalgically watch "Hocus Pocus"!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing where the app in the video rubs me the wrong way and would prevent me from using it – It doesn't allow simultaneous scoring. You score each player individually (unless you want to rapidly tap through each player and back to the menu between each scoring section). I prefer simultaneous scoring as it allows for all players to say their numbers out loud instead of having to wait for the others to do so. I would much prefer it if the scoring was divided into sections of scores rather than scores of players. Meaning, after inputting players at the start, you'd just tap a "start scoring" button which would then initiate a process where screens appeared one at a time, containing each player and an editable number for said score. After everyone's score had been input on this section, you could tap to the next one, take those down, and in the end, the app would show the overall scores. This engages the entire player base rather than one person at a time.

That being said though, I will admit, paying for an app that does this sounds like a bit much in the case of this game, as scoring is generally somewhat easy anyhow. It would have to have some additional functionality for that to work, though I have no idea what that would be to make me want to pay. Some ideas: randomizing starting player order, randomizing the map.

EDIT: Oh, looks like you've already put out an Android app that does basically everything except scoring. If you combined that with the scoring app (and the suggestion I've mentioned above regarding simultaneous scoring) there might be a viable product here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Julian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback.
I have the board setup completed for iOS and will look to combine it as one app.
Your idea for categorised scoring is also something I had not considered.

Thanks again.

Edit: would you still want buttons to do scores or just text entry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Mononen
Finland
Kerava
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meblin wrote:
Edit: would you still want buttons to do scores or just text entry?
The buttons are faster so I would prefer that. Especially in a scenario where I have to rapidly enter the scores for four people for a category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Julian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
@Miikka How does this look.

https://youtu.be/1d7teWph7vo

Do you think that just the previous and next buttons are enough or do you like the butetons to jump to each category?

I have not allowed this view for solo play as it is not necessary.

I am about to work on importing the board setup into my app also.

Edit: I have combined both apps just need to clean up a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Mononen
Finland
Kerava
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoring phase looks good, however, one more suggestion; Before any actual scores are input, you could make a simple drag&drop interface where the players could place the import goods in order (1st, 2nd, 3rd). Then, during scoring, rather than making the players think of what those scores are by calculating their multiplications themselves, they could just input how much of each thing they have on their finished import goods, and the app would then do the calculation based on what positions they were dragged to in the beginning of the scoring phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Julian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
VierasTalo wrote:
The scoring phase looks good, however, one more suggestion; Before any actual scores are input, you could make a simple drag&drop interface where the players could place the import goods in order (1st, 2nd, 3rd). Then, during scoring, rather than making the players think of what those scores are by calculating their multiplications themselves, they could just input how much of each thing they have on their finished import goods, and the app would then do the calculation based on what positions they were dragged to in the beginning of the scoring phase.

You just put the values in and the system works out the correct multiplayer for very rare, rare and common. The players do not need to calculate anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. C. DeMarco
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meblin wrote:
VierasTalo wrote:

You just put the values in and the system works out the correct multiplayer for very rare, rare and common. The players do not need to calculate anything

This web-based scoring app is explicit about entering the number of cotton, etc. Maybe that would help with the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Mononen
Finland
Kerava
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meblin wrote:
VierasTalo wrote:

Oh, this is great then. Everything checks out. If you're adding a how to -page to the app make mention of it to ensure people don't wonder about the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Any updates on the app and when it may hit the app store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Julian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Having a few technical issues and had to rebuild it today cry
Also the apple approval process is a little time consuming.
I need to test my new build on a device but will not be able to do that until Monday
Fingers crossed it will be up next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Great, thank you for the update, keep up the great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Julian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My iOS companion app is now in the hands of the apple approval gods so am just waiting for it to be given their seal of approval.
I am going to add some tracking/analytical/database aspects but wanted to find out what people would want.
The android Clans of Caledonia Score Pad app allows you to recall previous games breakdown but nothing else.
I was thinking of displaying winning score and clan(s) and the ability to drill down into an individual game.
Any thoughts much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.