Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
123 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Good Board Game For Women In Their Late 20's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally I find the question a bit odd... Women, just like men, are human beings with varying tastes, interests, personalities etc. There's not a specific game tailored for a woman in her twenties.

Would you ask, "What's a good game for a man in his 20s?"?

But that's just my two cents
79 
 Thumb up
1.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar

I happen to know somebody in their late 20s and as luck would have it, a female too.

I shall ask her which game she likes and will report back.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like with any newcomer I’d pick a gateway game that’s less than 90 minutes and isn’t any strong IP or theme (because specific themes can turn people off of they aren’t into that specific theme). There is a reason games like ticket to ride and Pandemic sell so well.

I do think Pandemic is an excellent choice or even something lighter like forbidden desert. Really though most important is that you know the rules and and can teach the game with some excitement. Do not crack open a game for the first time and expect someone who doesn’t play a lot of boardgames to love sitting though a first time rules read.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I've played all sorts of games with guys and girls of various ages. (She probably means 'as long as you guys aren't going to be powergaming, smelly douchebags I've met in game stores and playing wow.')

Castles of Burgundy is a safe bet, though. I have gotten multiple coworker females around their 20s to buy that after teaching it. My girlfriend loves it. Though she is not in her twenties. Her daughter likes ascension a lot. Cute animals appeal to the average woman, in my experience (and to me!) And meeples. Agricola combines those two thing. Tokaido.

*shrugs*

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Torche wrote:

Personally I find the question a bit odd... Women, just like men, are human beings with varying tastes, interests, personalities etc. There's not a specific game tailored for a woman in her twenties.

Would you ask, "What's a good game for a man in his 20s?"?

But that's just my two cents

1000x this.

There are no girly games. Don't put a game in front of her because girls like pandas or because girls don't like conflict. Instead, ignore that it's a female who wants to play. What would you teach to a friend? A coworker? A family member? How do you choose that game? Use that same criteria here. Don't use gender as a basis for choosing a game.

Some things to consider: What are her interests? What theme might interest her? Would she prefer cooperative or competitive? Does she want something easy, or something that is a bit (or a lot) challenging? Does she have a reference game? (ie Risk could point you toward Nexus Ops, or Monopoly could lead you to Lords of Vegas, etc).

If she doesn't give you anything to go on, I'd take your favorite co-op game and your favorite competitive game that run in the 1-2 hours range (so not Mage Knight). These should be games you really get into and enjoy because your enthusiasm for the game is likely to be your best selling point on getting her interested in playing. Then ask her if she has a preference or co-op or competitive play, and play accordingly.
47 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave T
msg tools
mbmb
Seriously, friend, this is a strange question. Might as well ask, "What's a good board game for people with brown hair? For people from Europe? For people whose day job involves animals?" It's like asking what's a good book for such a person, or a good job. There's virtually no way to know. People are ... er ... different.
27 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
Hi,

I have a friend who is in her late 20's, she has played a few world of warcraft games before and thought they were alright, she said she would be interested in playing board games with myself and a few friends if they were good.

Does anyone know a board game that would be good to play with her?

Anything from a 2 to 6 player game and specifically a game that women might enjoy more than other games.

Thank You



From your post, your friend is interested in "good" games. The fact that she is female and in her late 20's is irrelevant to the titles you choose to play with her. Just make sure you pick good games.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
specifically a game that women might enjoy more than other games.


shake

If you look at the threads in this subforum (for example "What was the last game you played?", "Games you just bought", "Crowdfunding Discussion", etc) you'll see tons of games that women like to play, and they will be all different because women are people and they have different tastes. You might as well post in the general forums and ask for gateway games.

The fact that she likes WoW might be more useful. What game would you suggest to a male WoW fan? I bet she'd like that game better than anything you might pick because it's cutesy or has pink on the cover or whatever inane reason makes people decide some games are better suited to women.
17 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
shake I would have said you'd be a better judge of what games your friend would like since they're, you know, your friend, except you came out of the starting gate with 20's and female as your criteria for figuring out an appropriate game. That's just sad.

As for what games are typically used as gateway choices for introducing new players to the hobby, here are some oft-touted choices.

Carcassonne
Love Letter
Catan
Ticket to Ride
Splendor
Dominion
Hanabi
King of Tokyo
Forbidden Island
Pandemic
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hengst II
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Sweep the Leg!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is that my wife has loved Splendor, Hand of the King, Eldritch Horror and Mansions of Madness.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, there were a good few games like Pandemic and King of Tokyo, that I think would be good to play.

Regarding the talk about saying a girls age, if I had a male friend in his late 40's, I would ask the same question:

“What is a good game for males in their late 40's to play?”

There is no intention of sexism or ageism.

Most Surrey's people do, asks your gender and age that is not sexism or ageism that is trying to find out what people in that age category and different genders might like.
I highly doubt you would have. This is not a survey, and nobody asks that. They only mention it when the person is female for some reason.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering the same thing as everyone else. What does her age and sex have to do with it?

Without knowing what she likes, it's impossible to give a good recommendation. There is no "20-year-old female" game.

Maybe you should think about her interests, and try to find a game with a matching theme. Ask what she found "all right" about WoW, and, assuming she's played other boardgames, what she liked and didn't like about them.

Other than that, I concur with previous recommendations (the ones I know):
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne

And a couple more:
Kingdom Builder
Above and Below (not the first game you play, but soon)
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, there were a good few games like Pandemic and King of Tokyo, that I think would be good to play.

Regarding the talk about saying a girls age, if I had a male friend in his late 40's, I would ask the same question:

“What is a good game for males in their late 40's to play?”

There is no intention of sexism or ageism.

Most Surrey's people do, asks your gender and age that is not sexism or ageism that is trying to find out what people in that age category and different genders might like.

And if you asked this, I would say the same thing I did above. Look at their interests. Look for mechanics they might/might not enjoy based on other activities they do (or old games they talk about). And if that fails, take a couple of your favorites and hope your enthusiasm is infectious.

The problem with general "girls like this" and "boys like that" statements is that they don't apply to everyone. They're far too generalized. "Someone says this group of people should like it" is not a good way to pick a game, and might just lead to frustration on both sides. Instead, consider the person's interests and likes and dislikes. If picking a game for someone you know, you should be able to do better than applying generalized trends and/or stereotypes from a large group of people.
16 
 Thumb up
0.75
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
All the examples you just gave relate back to children. You're an INTP. You can understand why that's a problem.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorani Gorani
Germany
flag msg tools
Well, her gender and age will have nothing to do with what games she might like. You should question here about her e.g. about competitiveness, how much she appreciates art and design, if she like to planning or randomness in games etc.

e.g. Pandemic is a cooperative game, which a very competitive player might not like as much.
Dice rolling games have a high random factor, while resource collection games like Settlers of Catan have low randomness and a high strategy component.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
A 40 year old may enjoy making wine in Viticulture, but an 8 year old probably would not enjoy the theme of making alcohol. And I don't think that would be appropriate, IMO.

And likewise, a 10 year old girl and 30 year old woman would have different tastes in themes IMO. I believe people mature as they get older.

All retail games have ages on the box because age also effect complexity levels, even BGG have an age field. So when recommending a game or a movie I also think it is good to know the age, IMO, so I don't recommend Texas Chainsaw Massacre for a 12 year old.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I wrote down the great list of games you recommended. I will show my friend and see which one she likes.
That really only applies to kids or people under 21 because their brains are still developing. I've never seen a game/movie that says it's only for 21-30 year olds or 40-50 year olds.

But other than that, I disagree because my taste in theme has not changed from when I was 10 to now other than being more open to trying a different theme that wouldn't have appealed to me earlier.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
A 40 year old may enjoy making wine in Viticulture, but an 8 year old probably would not enjoy the theme of making alcohol. And I don't think that would be appropriate, IMO.

And likewise, a 10 year old girl and 30 year old woman would have different tastes in themes IMO. I believe people mature as they get older.

All retail games have ages on the box because age also effect complexity levels, even BGG have an age field. So when recommending a game or a movie I also think it is good to know the age, IMO, so I don't recommend Texas Chainsaw Massacre for a 12 year old.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I wrote down the great list of games you recommended. I will show my friend and see which one she likes.
That really only applies to kids or people under 21 because their brains are still developing. I've never seen a game/movie that says it's only for 21-30 year olds or 40-50 year olds.

But other than that, I disagree because my taste in theme has not changed from when I was 10 to now other than being more open to trying a different theme that wouldn't have appealed to me earlier.


I agree (see bolded phrase above) 100%. As a child I detested Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Now, it is one of my favorite genres. Adults are more open to try new things they may not have liked as children. And when you are with friends you tend to opt for the good of the group and be more flexible and less selfish.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Above I said I would do the same for a male and Stephanie said "I highly doubt you would have." Here is a thread I posted, dated before I started this thread, which shows I would: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1915378/good-board-game-eig...

Anyway, thanks everyone for the recommendations
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hi Ami,

I am an INTP and I do see patterns in everything.

My brain does see a difference in what an 20 year old man would find intresting and what a 50 year old man would find intresting.

People here seem to be upset about 2 things, gender and age. I've address the gender thing. In the post above I was addressing age with regards to theme and complexity. The post above is not relating to gender.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Age is only a legitimate qualification when dealing with young children through teenagers, roughly equating to development milestones. Even then it won't be very precise. After that point age becomes largely irrelevant until you hit seniors - where there may be accessibility/dexterity issues, but not always.

Age and gender for an adult tells you almost nothing about what kind of games they would enjoy. Better information to form your pattern off of would be things like hobbies, favourite movie or book genres, personality, and degree of familiarity with modern board game staples. If none of these are known factors, then simply go with any of the many oft-recommended entry level 'gateway' board games.

13 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
Hi Ami,

I am an INTP and I do see patterns in everything.

My brain does see a difference in what an 20 year old man would find intresting and what a 50 year old man would find intresting.

People here seem to be upset about 2 things, gender and age. I've address the gender thing. In the post above I was addressing age with regards to theme and complexity. The post above is not relating to gender.
My entire point is that your examples don't support your assertion because you used children (which, yes, also runs into sexism, so I'm glad you noticed, but I was addressing your age argument). At 20, 30, and 40, I love RPGs and stories in games. That is a huge part of who I am as a person. As an INTP, I love complexity and I'm unlikely to embrace many gateway games or party games. That some that would have been inappropriate for me at a younger age doesn't really change the fact that if I just tell you I'm a woman in my early forties who has played Phase 10 and thought it was alright, you will probably not come up with a game that would be good for me. Gamers, men and women, are individuals at every age, and age and gender are exceptionally bad characteristics to recommend games from.
12 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know what sorts of interests your friend has?

When I introduced my wife to board gaming, the first several months she was bombarded with themes I love (mostly sci fi, horror themed games, long thinky games or ones with tons of dice), but she eventually found games that really resonated with her - treasure hunting, civ-building, light conflict, co-ops, and western-themed games and then she was hooked. She loves Tobago, Flash Point, Fortune & Glory, Kodama, Carcassonne, Above and Below (actually any of Ryan Laukat's games), Amerigo, Colt Express, Shadows of Brimstone, and Roads and Boats (some of those are definitely not entry-level games tho!) She's a big video gamer and once she realized there were games out there like her favorite video games, it was easy for her to start finding lots of games she loves.

Another one of my friends who is definitely not a gamer at all, really enjoyed Codenames, she's a writer, so I figures a "wordy" game might lure her in and it did.

Same with my sister who is an English teacher - any and all word games she loves - Codenames, Word on the Street, etc. She also loves wine and cooking and she enjoyed Vihnos (which is not a beginner game) and Ristorante Italia. I imagine she would also enjoy Ladies and Gentlemen and Rococo, knowing her interests.

Anyway, so I would try to find games that appeal to your friends interests and start from there. If you don't know them, then any lighter, easy to teach, gateway games would probably be good places to start - like others suggested - Carcassonne King of Tokyo are great, also Jamaica, Survive, Colt Express are pretty easy to teach and have fun interactions with each other.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
Hi Ami,

I am an INTP and I do see patterns in everything.

My brain does see a difference in what an 20 year old man would find intresting and what a 50 year old man would find intresting.

People here seem to be upset about 2 things, gender and age. I've address the gender thing. In the post above I was addressing age with regards to theme and complexity. The post above is not relating to gender.

My main gaming opponent is a female in her 20's. Her favorite games: Vinhos, Food Chain Magnate and Caylus.

Last night, I played a game with another female in her 20's and she said her favorite games were Hedbanz for Adults! and Farkle.

Hope that helps fill out your "pattern"...

23 
 Thumb up
0.55
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
I have a friend who is in her late 20's, she has played a few world of warcraft games before and thought they were alright, she said she would be interested in playing board games with myself and a few friends if they were good.

What games do you like, and have you played any with her? If not, why not?

I'm impressed that she'll only play with your friends if they're good.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Highland Cow wrote:
MatthewSmith32 wrote:
I have a friend who is in her late 20's, she has played a few world of warcraft games before and thought they were alright, she said she would be interested in playing board games with myself and a few friends if they were good.

What games do you like, and have you played any with her? If not, why not?

I'm impressed that she'll only play with your friends if they're good.


While the language used was admittedly ambiguous, I would tender a guess that 'good' here was in reference to the games, not the friends.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.