Hide
7 Posts

Viticulture» Forums » General

Subject: Vititculture Complexity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Robin
msg tools
What is the complexity of Viticulture comparable to? My wife is my primary gaming partner; she will play things like Catan, TTR, Flamme Rouge and Carc, is Viticulture in that ballpark? I'm learning that games that I can't play with my wife will never get played so there's no point in buying them. This one seems really interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Mid weight.
My wife generally does not like complex games. Transforming Mars is the heaviest game she has taken to.
She enjoys Viticulture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Jeff says, it's a mid-weight worker placement game. There's a lot to get your head around in the first game, but it's mostly pretty thematic, which helps.

Have you played any light weight worker placement games? The generally recommended ones (which I agree with) are Lords of Waterdeep and Stone Age. Viticulture is a small step up from these, but it's not that much more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d describe it as a touch heavier than Alien Frontiers (but much less mean) and a bit lighter than Agricola (but much more forgiving)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Penguinised wrote:
I’d describe it as a touch heavier than Alien Frontiers (but much less mean) and a bit lighter than Agricola (but much more forgiving)

It should only take one play to get your head around the extra complexity in Viticulture over TtR. Yes it is a step up. But not a big one. In fact I would put it as slightly less complex than TtR:UK if you have played that variant.

As already mentioned the complexity drives the theme so it is all pretty easy to remember.
If oyu wake up early you get more done.
You plant in the beginning of the year. Harvest at the end and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd echo the comment about exposure to worker placements and the logical ease of this game.

As a new gamer, Lords of Waterdeep took me a while to grasp. But mainly its theme got in my way. Viticulture had a theme I understood: plant in spring, harvest in fall, then make wine and store/age it in the cellar. If you play the first game as a straight path, earning points by filling orders, then it's easier to see the MAIN PATH through the games. In the second game, do more with the visitor cards adding the layers of complexity.

If you deliberately choose to simplify the first game (or a half-game) to see this flow, I think she will love it. It's quite an attractive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
I'd echo the comment about exposure to worker placements and the logical ease of this game.

As a new gamer, Lords of Waterdeep took me a while to grasp. But mainly its theme got in my way. Viticulture had a theme I understood: plant in spring, harvest in fall, then make wine and store/age it in the cellar. If you play the first game as a straight path, earning points by filling orders, then it's easier to see the MAIN PATH through the games. In the second game, do more with the visitor cards adding the layers of complexity.

If you deliberately choose to simplify the first game (or a half-game) to see this flow, I think she will love it. It's quite an attractive game.
I second this comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.