Subject: Good Board Games For 8 Year Old Boys rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,

I posted this in the General gaming section earlier, just seen this thread and thought it would be more appropriate to post it here.

I have an eight year old Godson who is highly intelligent and creative, he already made his own clay animation video, it is only about ten seconds in length but still very impressive.

I want to buy him a board game that is fun to play since he likes games with lots of action, but I also want a game that will challenge him and help him develop.

Does anyone know a suitable game that would be good for him?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coins
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island or Desert would be good. Fun theme, and the games require planning and strategy which it sounds like he gravitates towards that if he's planning Claymation shots! Also, pretty affordable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

Memoir '44

Catan

Downforce

These four games are all good challenging games that an 8 year-old can play and also he may be able to use his animation skills with them as they all have a great components and are action packed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Budovec
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew,

My son is eight. Some of his favorite games:

The Downfall of Pompeii.

Colt Express.

Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure.

Evolution.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can highly recommend Downforce and Colt Express (already mentioned). They develop skills of planning ahead AND making contingency plans since you don't know how other players will affect your move. The themes of both are practically crying out for young boys to play them. Lots of action in those.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue or Hotshots are great, fast-moving cooperative games that might also appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Systems
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people would be playing the board game with him? Would it be just the two of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,

It would be his parents and myself playing the games with him, so there would be 4 players most likely playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, there are a good few games there.

I got him Small World at Christmas and I'm looking to get him a few more games this year, Castle Panic and Colt Express look like games I think he will really like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old loves Flick 'em Up!: Dead of Winter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Good Board Games For 8 Year Old Boy
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback, I will check all those games out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I replied on your original post, do consider Kingdomino as well, it's a fun quick game with 3-4 but shines when played with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee Thorson
United States
Albert Lea
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my son was 8 he loved Castle Panic! At 12 he still loves it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Player
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Campy Creatures is a good recommendation. My 9 year old daughter loves it. I will say, it plays much better with 3 or 4 players than with 2 if that is a consideration. The artwork on the cards is impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have an eight year old son and we LOVE Castle Panic, the expansion pack makes it loads more fun. We also loved Dragonwood last year, and now that we play more advanced games it doesn't get played as much, but we still love it. Also just started playing Splendor and it's played more than Castle Panic. Quicker and less to set up...just cards. I highly recommend Splendor and it was easy to learn. King Domino is REALLY fun, fast and easy, and we will get Queen Domino soon to up the fun!My son plays chess, so Hive is a great choice, but complicated and we haven't played it in a long while. Qwirkle is an easy quick game, lots of fun. We also have started playing Bohnanza and it's a blast. Don't like the artwork, but the game is fun. I have posted a similar question on GeekLists, not realizing that might not be the right place. I received tons of great suggestions, so maybe you can search via my name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April Parekh
United States
California
flag msg tools
King of Tokyo or Ticket to Ride might be good as well. Depending if you are looking for a shorter or longer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Systems
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having good success with Camel Up!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iljon Tichy
Poland
flag msg tools
BattleLore or Mamoir 44 will be a good choice - works perfectly on my son. Pandemic works nice as well - cooperative games are vwrt good especially if kid doesn't take failures well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Labyrinth

https://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-26448-Labyrinth/dp/B0000...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
there is currently a game on KS that will delight you
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/240825/planetopia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Myckan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
I am the co-creator of the game that I invented for my boys and now it is officially on Kickstarter. Check it out. Great family game or just 8 year olds playing against eachother. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243297/centrix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Edwards
France
Plemet
Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that Labyrinth may be a bit easy, to be honest.There is a Spiderman version though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Edwards
France
Plemet
Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does he have any other specific interests? Is he into a specific superhero? Pokemon, dinosaurs, robots or zombies? Trains, cars? Is he a kid that likes to joke around a lot or is he more serious?

Do his parents play games?

How long do you want to play for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When my son was 8 or 9 he liked Hey, That's My Fish! and Kahuna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.