ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
Received the game today and have unboxed the game and set up the tutorial mission. My first impressions are mixed. The quality of the tiles and counters are ok. I wish the floor tiles locked like in Imperial Assault. On my smooth tabletop the tiles are easily jostled out of place. Also, the use of the "movement stars" on the tiles is awkward and hard to see sometimes. I wish they had opted for a grid. The miniature figures are very nice - good detail. I am looking forward to painting these. The "furniture"
on the other hand, is pretty bad. Lots of bent pieces and flash. Good idea but not implemented very well. The rules are just ok. I wish things were better explained like how many health points the minions have. I finally puzzled it out by watching a couple of videos. We will see how things go after a few missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post. Don't hesitate to tell us more after a few plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
rozar5 wrote:
Received the game today and have unboxed the game and set up the tutorial mission. My first impressions are mixed. The quality of the tiles and counters are ok. I wish the floor tiles locked like in Imperial Assault. On my smooth tabletop the tiles are easily jostled out of place. Also, the use of the "movement stars" on the tiles is awkward and hard to see sometimes. I wish they had opted for a grid. The miniature figures are very nice - good detail. I am looking forward to painting these. The "furniture"
on the other hand, is pretty bad. Lots of bent pieces and flash. Good idea but not implemented very well. The rules are just ok. I wish things were better explained like how many health points the minions have. I finally puzzled it out by watching a couple of videos. We will see how things go after a few missions.

Totally agree on the tiles. I ended up flipping over my Deadzone mat with the rubber side up to build my maps on so no slipping. I also think a grayish grid would have been preferred. Its not the stars per-say, just the color set of the tiles and the white stars. If they do come out with a expansion that lets us create our own missions, I can see me creating specialized terrain to replace these (or use my Space Hulk Tiles).

After painting a few minis, I feel they are ok, details are limited, but you get a ton of them so its hard to complain. Also my eyes are not what they used to be so YMMV. No issues on the furniture for me. No Mold Lines, no warping. To me they are the best part of the kit.

Rules seem straight forward to me. Health of the minions is on their respective cards, damage chits are small enough to put on the minions bases and not as fiddily as I feared. For Solo, I have felt its too easy thus far (but have only played 5 missions admittedly). I say this actually loosing mission 1 as I made a bone head move early on getting Anlyse in trouble and killed early, putting me on my backfoot the entire mission, ultimately loosing. I replayed it (with randomized elevator and terminal access to force me to search the majority of the map) and still won with zero damage to the Mercs. As such I now allow AI to pass through friendly models, increasing the difficulty a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
Helznicht wrote:
rozar5 wrote:

Totally agree on the tiles. I ended up flipping over my Deadzone mat with the rubber side up to build my maps on so no slipping. I also think a grayish grid would have been preferred. Its not the stars per-say, just the color set of the tiles and the white stars. If they do come out with a expansion that lets us create our own missions, I can see me creating specialized terrain to replace these (or use my Space Hulk Tiles).

After painting a few minis, I feel they are ok, details are limited, but you get a ton of them so its hard to complain. Also my eyes are not what they used to be so YMMV. No issues on the furniture for me. No Mold Lines, no warping. To me they are the best part of the kit.

Rules seem straight forward to me. Health of the minions is on their respective cards, damage chits are small enough to put on the minions bases and not as fiddily as I feared. For Solo, I have felt its too easy thus far (but have only played 5 missions admittedly). I say this actually loosing mission 1 as I made a bone head move early on getting Anlyse in trouble and killed early, putting me on my backfoot the entire mission, ultimately loosing. I replayed it (with randomized elevator and terminal access to force me to search the majority of the map) and still won with zero damage to the Mercs. As such I now allow AI to pass through friendly models, increasing the difficulty a bit.

Thanks for the input. After a day of study, I have finally got the rules figured out and puzzled out the various icons. Concerning the furniture, my tables are terribly warped. I have to turn 2 of them on their sides to use them. 2 of the larger terminal pieces have serious flash on the bottom of the base that had to be removed with an xacto knife. Other pieces are warped but still useable. The doors are in good shape - no problem there. I have already started building replacement maps for each mission. I love to work with Gimp and paint.net so I can create the map sections, print them on label paper and transfer them to foam core. It is a bit of work and time but I enjoy 'pimping' out my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Blakemore
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To fix any warps in the scenery, boil a pot of water, then pour it into a shallow dish. Dip/immerse the piece into the water for a few seconds (less than 10, 30 tops) until it becomes rubbery, then hold it in place and dip it into another shallow dish full of ice water. You can probably do this with just hot and cold water straight from the tap, or a hair dryer on high heat and cold tap water. This is a common method for fixing warped plastic minis, but these are by far the easiest I've ever worked with.

But yeah, X-acto the flash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
I wish the floor tiles locked like in Imperial Assault. On my smooth tabletop the tiles are easily jostled out of place.

Just a minor comment. Mantic is coming out with a Mission Creator Expansion, and so not having specific locking points means that you really can arrange the tiles anyway you want when designing missions. There are pros and cons to any design decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
rozar5 wrote:
I wish the floor tiles locked like in Imperial Assault. On my smooth tabletop the tiles are easily jostled out of place.

Just a minor comment. Mantic is coming out with a Mission Creator Expansion, and so not having specific locking points means that you really can arrange the tiles anyway you want when designing missions. There are pros and cons to any design decision.

To be honest, you can do the same thing with Descent 2E or IA tiles as well. Not a good enough reason, I’m afraid.

Or rather, you gain more flexibility at the price of loose, slippery tiles. Different people will have different points where one slips into the other zone (flexibility vs stability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.