Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I reading the rules right that any disgruntled crew member cannot be bought off your ship if they currently have a bounty open - that they must be taken via a showdown?

The rules seem pretty clear that a showdown must take place, so would this apply even if the attacking ship doesn't intend to fulfil the bounty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IT's been a while since this came up, but I believe that they can still just hire them off your crew as normal. Now if they want to turn in the bounty on them, they will suffer the penalty after for turning on one of their own crew, so it is more beneficial to just do the showdown in most cases, but I don't remember there being anything to prevent you from doing it that way if you wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
IT's been a while since this came up, but I believe that they can still just hire them off your crew as normal. Now if they want to turn in the bounty on them, they will suffer the penalty after for turning on one of their own crew, so it is more beneficial to just do the showdown in most cases, but I don't remember there being anything to prevent you from doing it that way if you wanted to.

That's what I thought going into it, but the rules make no mention of this, in fact it specifically states that there are only three ways to get a bounty: to showdown on a rival ship, to showdown on a planet with cards, or to give up one of your own crew.
If you can just hire them off a rival ship and then give them up, why couldn't you just hire them off a planet and then give them up, instead of having to have a showdown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

That's what I thought going into it, but the rules make no mention of this, in fact it specifically states that there are only three ways to get a bounty: to showdown on a rival ship, to showdown on a planet with cards, or to give up one of your own crew.
If you can just hire them off a rival ship and then give them up, why couldn't you just hire them off a planet and then give them up, instead of having to have a showdown?

Again, because that would disgruntle your entire crew, which can be pretty devastating at the wrong time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
mattpburgess wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

Again, because that would disgruntle your entire crew, which can be pretty devastating at the wrong time.

Yeah, I getcha, I'm just surprised that there's absolutely no mention of it in the rules. Maybe me wonder if they were suggesting that you aren't supposed to do it that way, incase it breaks the game.

Glad to know the basic rules still work the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
negatrev wrote:
mattpburgess wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

Yeah, I getcha, I'm just surprised that there's absolutely no mention of it in the rules. Maybe me wonder if they were suggesting that you aren't supposed to do it that way, incase it breaks the game.

Glad to know the basic rules still work the same way.

I think that your disconnect is that you are thinking of hiring and turning on the crew as one action, when the rules considering it two separate actions.

There are 2 scenarios here:

1 You use a Buy action to Hire a crew from a Supply deck, then use a Work Action to turn on them, disgruntling the rest of your crew (other than your Leader) in the process.

2 Make a Better Offer to a disgruntled member of a rival's crew, then use a Work Action to turn on them, disgruntling the rest of your crew (other than your Leader) in the process.

Both of these eliminate the risk of a Showdown, but disgruntle your crew; and option 1 takes an extra action.

I hope that helps to clear up your confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Option 2 is especially dangerous if you don't move away, because you're still in the second Sector as the person you just stole a Crew member from. You Disgruntle you're own Crew and they'll fill that slot - and probably then some!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all - I will definitely do some experimentation with different scenarios as they all come up (especially as my 'Whole Verse' mat arrived today as well ).

The best part of this thread is to assure me that, if I did choose to buy a wanted & disgruntled crewman from one of my friends' ships, I wouldn't be cheating.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I had another question I'm sure you can all help me with. It might be a matter of preference.

Set-up cards aside, as per the set up rules on the base game, players are supposed to take a job card from every contact deck, and discard down to three cards.

When you're playing with all the expansions, do you take starting jobs from all the contact decks to choose from, or just the original five?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe it's supposed to be just the original five - I'm pretty sure this was discussed, but I can't remember where - but I don't know that it would hurt terribly to use all of them (except for the analysis paralysis).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.