Hide
16 Posts

Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on being defeat/losing/failing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Michael
msg tools
This is a very basic question. I’d also like to point out that I did search elsewhere on this forum for the answer, but couldn’t immediately find it. I’m sure it’s on here, but a polite suggestion I have is for people to consider Headlining their question specifically, so that other people know what the topic is about without having to click in, i.e. ‘Rules Question: Becoming Stunned’ vs ‘Rules Question’ which makes it hard for people to find the relevant indformation so We don’t have to post the same question again. Not trying to be sarcastic at all, just something I noticed.

My very basic, probably face-palm question is. Where in the main rules does it discuss failing/losing/being unsuccessful? I know in the quick start rules it says you are unsuccessful if you all become stunned or unconcious, but the quick start rules are meant to apply just for the quick start adventure aren’t they?

Where does it say in the main rules (if someone opted to skip quick start) that you lose if you all become stunned?

I’m likely missing it and if so i apologise for wasting anyone’s time. But if it doesn’t say it, the implication would actually be you only lose when eveyone is unconcious (not stunned), because you can still take a turn when stunned.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, p23:
Quote:

WINNING THE GAME
The chosen Adventure will detail the completion requirements for winning the game. Usually this involves defeating a number of encounters through several Scenes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
You lose if you're all unconscious, not stunned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Michael
msg tools
Great! So stupid i didn’t think to look at the adventure card and missed that on the rules, thanks for the help! I had read (incorrectly) elsewhere on here that it’s stunned not unconcious, so hopefully my stupidity can help others, haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure anyone called anyone names.

32 pages of rules, 60 market cards, 7 adventure cards... there's a lot to absorb and a lot of terminology to work through.

Downloading a copy of the rules PDF from the dragonfire website will enable you, or anyone who does that, the ability to search for keywords when you have questions. It might help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Barber
United States
New Rochelle
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how does losing an adventure work, exactly? We lose them need to reset our decks? Retain the decks we had when defeated and try again? Based on how this game works, itd be unwieldy to track what cards each character has before playing.

Can someone give me a quick recap of moving between adventures and losing.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bunglebb wrote:
So how does losing an adventure work, exactly? We lose them need to reset our decks? Retain the decks we had when defeated and try again? Based on how this game works, itd be unwieldy to track what cards each character has before playing.

Can someone give me a quick recap of moving between adventures and losing.

Thanks!

When u lose u start over, reset all decks back to equipment starter packs only (minus any common magic items u consumed of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Barber
United States
New Rochelle
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so if you lose, you reset to basic cards (following the starting equipment pack rules) and any magic items you had , or are they lost?

If you win, do you start the next adventure back at basic items and magic items as well?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You keep your magic items unless u consumed them (commons are one time use). Magic items always carry over otherwise, win or lose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning of each game, your equipment pack starts as listed on your character sheet.

You modify that equipment pack based on # of players (if playing 2p or 3p) and any Features you have that modify your deck.

Then you add in any Magic Items you've earned that you want to carry (within limits as listed on the character card and based on level).

Shuffle up and draw your starting hand.

You do this at the beginning of *every* game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Tipp City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
necroing this thread to keep all the information in the same place.

if everyone is defeated and you've stickered your character are you expected to discard that character into the literal trash can and grab another to start over?

i can't believe the instructions have no mention of defeat or loss of scenario in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madaxer wrote:

if everyone is defeated and you've stickered your character are you expected to discard that character into the literal trash can and grab another to start over?

i can't believe the instructions have no mention of defeat or loss of scenario in the rule book.

There is no penalty for a party wipe -- everyone gets experience points based on the adventure and how far you got and you try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Tipp City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
madaxer wrote:

There is no penalty for a party wipe -- everyone gets experience points based on the adventure and how far you got and you try again.

interesting, that brings up more questions

1. xp points based on how far you get? i thought you handed those out at the start of each scene, the exception being if you win you get 2 bonus each. is there other xp or are you referring to monster xp that maybe didn't get spent?

2. do you keep magic items you didn't consume

3. is there an official faq or game errata somewhere that covers this topic in more detail

4. I'm still a little confused (very) on leveling, are you supposed write down every gold ahem xp you earn that way when you spend it on stuff it still gets counted towards your level even thigh it's gone? And if that's the case do you keep leveling even in defeat? Its confusing mostly because you always reset back to starting cards at the end of a mission or whatever they're called.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madaxer wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
madaxer wrote:

1. xp points based on how far you get? i thought you handed those out at the start of each scene, the exception being if you win you get 2 bonus each. is there other xp or are you referring to monster xp that maybe didn't get spent?

3. is there an official faq or game errata somewhere that covers this topic in more detail

4. I'm still a little confused (very) on leveling, are you supposed write down every gold ahem xp you earn that way when you spend it on stuff it still gets counted towards your level even thigh it's gone? And if that's the case do you keep leveling even in defeat? Its confusing mostly because you always reset back to starting cards at the end of a mission or whatever they're called.

thanks!

XP is awarded after the adventure ends. It is based on the payout listed in the Adventure. For most of the base box, that is 1 XP / scene + a bonus for completion.

Unconsumed magic items are kept, you didn't consume them.
Depleted Magic Items are available for the next game.
Consumed Magic Items were returned to the deck when Consumed - they are gone.

No FAQ questions have been asked about this question.
There is a FAQ in the documents section of www.dragonfirethegame.com

XP is a pool of total experience you have gained.
Selected Features (+ slot costs) cannot exceed your current total earned XP.
You do not "spend" XP. You never lose it, only gain it.

Starting cards (equipment pack) DO reset each adventure. The only things that persist are XP and Magic Items that are not consumed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Tipp City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
madaxer wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
madaxer wrote:

thanks!

XP is awarded after the adventure ends. It is based on the payout listed in the Adventure. For most of the base box, that is 1 XP / scene + a bonus for completion.

Unconsumed magic items are kept, you didn't consume them.
Depleted Magic Items are available for the next game.
Consumed Magic Items were returned to the deck when Consumed - they are gone.

No FAQ questions have been asked about this question.
There is a FAQ in the documents section of www.dragonfirethegame.com

XP is a pool of total experience you have gained.
Selected Features (+ slot costs) cannot exceed your current total earned XP.
You do not "spend" XP. You never lose it, only gain it.

Starting cards (equipment pack) DO reset each adventure. The only things that persist are XP and Magic Items that are not consumed.

wow, ok for some reason i thought gold was xp. this makes more sense, so just to further clarify gold does not carry over only xp and magic items.

told you i was very confused zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least one of the reviewers incorrectly called gold "XP", and it doesn't help that they're on the same line on the character shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.