Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am attempting some missions now where the icon format seems different and it's making me question if I have been reading these right this whole time. Consider the extra event actions you will have each turn. One person in a circle means it requires one pawn and it's just automatically done. What does it mean when there are two of these icons overlapping? I had thought it meant two pawns were required. What if there are two of these icons next to each other but not overlapping? Does that mean that I CAN send only one pawn, but if I send two they both get the benefit? In this particular instance, the reward is "Each astronaut gains +1 Morale token." So does that mean I can send one astronaut and he'll get a token, but if I send two astronauts, they'll both get a token? And in either case, the event is completed? And if all of this is right, one astronaut could send both of their pawns and gets two morale tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pawn Requirement
I would have thought I knew the answer, but you make me wonder as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question.

I’m not sure either...

Ignacy?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hellström
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you got me thinking as well...

What about this event in the app (Probe on the loose mission, hard difficulty):

HUMAN ELEMENT
WORK EFFICIENCY 101
1 circle = Each astronaut gains 1 morale. Prevent future consequences.

The wording "Each astronaut" implies to me that any number of pawns can be placed there, right? And each pawn placed gives 1 morale to the player?

And what about this event:

A VERY BAD CHAIN REACTION
TURN IT OFF!
2 circles next to each other (not overlapping) = -1 on each Malfunction track. Prevent future consequences.

Can 4 astronauts be placed to get double benefit, i.e. decreasing each Malfunction track by two steps?

And we also have this event, which have another terminology:

DESATURATION
CLEANING AIR FILTERS IN LIVING BLOCK
"Spend 1 pawn to decrease Stress by 8..."

There the wording is "Spend 1 pawn".. Why this wording here? Is this different from the pawn in circle icon? Can you not place more than 1 pawn on this event?

This suddenly has become very messy... I really want to know the answers to all this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, with Human Element, you send one pawn and everyone benefits. You don't send more pawns.

Looking at the Almanac, the overlapping pawns symbol is only used to describe the case where you can stack pawns so that you don't have to roll dice. I didn't think rolling dice was EVER a possibility for events though. Maybe they realized this and started changing how they used the icons because they DO want two pawns but they don't want to imply any dice rolling? I don't know. <shrug>

I know Ignacy patrols the official threads, but I'm not so sure he watches any of the others like this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hellström
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this in the Almanac:

Page 30
Quote:
A given Event action can be taken only once; all other
actions can be taken multiple times in the same round.

Page 31
Quote:
1. EVENTS – to prevent negative consequences of an Event;
unless stated otherwise by the Event itself, its action
cannot be taken more than once.

This may not answer the OP:s questions, but it did answer some of my own questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to play through those separate circles again yesterday and I just decided that it meant you must have two pawns and those two pawns are rewarded with morale tokens. I sent an email to Portal to see if I can get clarification on all of this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard back from Portal:

Hi

You have been playing right.
Two overlapsing icons meant 2 action pawns.

Since this icon was confusing, we are switching to 2 [worker]
If you see [worker] [worker] it looks like a mistake in the card.
Please, tell me name of the event next time you see it.
I am deeply sorry for a mistake.
Ignacy

This reply is a bit confusing, but I take it to mean that two overlapping circles and two circles next to each other mean the same thing and they intend to use only the two circles next to each other (?) for the future. So you MUST use two pawns, no matter which of these conventions they choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what he is saying is he will replace [pawn][pawn] with 2 [pawn]. I saw both of these in the app last night and was very confused. Perhaps they are now the same thing. What I’m not clear on is if this is different than 2 pawns over lapping ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two pawns overlapping should be two pawns required IF you don't want to roll dice. So if they go with separate circles on the events, they'll have a more consistent iconography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.