7 Posts

Forbidden Island» Forums » General

Subject: Will I like this game if...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this game will be for me if I am experienced hardcore gamer (can beat Pandemic with 6 epidemic, can beat Ghost Stories with 3 incarnations, beated 3 scenarios in Robinson Crusoe and will be beat the rest soon ), but sometimes I am need a lighter puzzle game that I can setup and play under 30 minutes by myself? So, my general requirements will be:
1) The game setup must be quick, something under 3 minutes, quicker than Pandemic and Ghost Stories.
2) The lengh of the game must be near 30 minutes.
3) As a solo game: I am want a puzzle-like game, with manageable level of randomness (for example level of randomness in Pandemic or Ghost Stories is ok for me, in my opinion the outcome in this games is mostly depends on the player, not on RNG). For the replayability I am counting on different island layouts, I want to beat each official layout at least once.
4) As a group game: I am want a game for 10-year girl and 1-2 adults, all of them has zero experience at a modern board games. I am really like Pandemic, but I am feel that Pandemic can be a little overwhelming for them as a gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll definitely satisfy point 4 for you (and probably 1 and 2 as well). Forbidden Island is "Pandemic-Lite", in that it uses some similar mechanisms to Pandemic, but has fewer rules and is thus easier to grasp for younger children and people new to gaming.

However, I'm not sure you'd find it too much of a solo puzzle, because it's easier to beat than Pandemic, and thus it may not be a challenge for you.

Although if you want to make it trickier, you can always use one of the alternate board layouts and start at the Legendary level on the flood meter.

Given the cheap price point and the fact that you like Pandemic, it's probably still a good buy (for your group game) but I'm not sure you'd enjoy it as a solo challenge game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Although if you want to make it trickier, you can always use one of the alternate board layouts and start at the Legendary level on the flood meter.
yea, I am already mentioned that I want play this game like puzzle with different starting layouts, but I am worried about legendary difficulty. I know, that you must place the marker on the flood level highter and when he reach the top level players will loose. But if I start at legendary level, can there be a situation that my chooses will be mean nothing and I will lose after some turns without possibility to do something die to RNG? If it possible is this will be the most common scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
It is possible to win on Legendary, and it is also possible to lose on Novice in the first few turns without being able to do anything to stop it. Neither of these are very common though.

The luck of the early draw has a big effect on your success (flooding Fool's Landing in the first few cards makes it very hard to win on any level) but on average it doesn't swing that much because the effect of that card is diluted by the other cards when it is nearer the middle/end of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, I will buy this game and try it both solo and multiplayer. By the way, found this game for near 10 USD, is it a OK price for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that's a damn good price. RRP in Australia is $35, which would be about US$25.

That being said, Forbidden Island is only US$10.89 on Amazon - so perhaps $10 is about average in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimond wrote:
Thanks for the answers, I will buy this game and try it both solo and multiplayer. By the way, found this game for near 10 USD, is it a OK price for this game?

$10 is a great price. I think I paid $14 a couple of years ago, and I generally see it for about $15 in most stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.