March of the Ants: Minions of the Meadow» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turns in expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game expansion also limited to 4 turns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Eisner
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, the standard expansion game is 4 rounds long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why haven't you made a more long version?. The game is good, but 4 rounds is very very short. I can't enjoy the game in 4 rounds. I like exploring but there isn't time to do it!!.
Why 4 rounds???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Davidse
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, the idea was to have a game that didn't go on for as long as things like Eclipse or Twilight Imperium, hence the restriction to four rounds. It can be played over five rounds by using the zero circle on the Great Tunnel, but I suppose there's nothing stopping you from carrying on longer if you really wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a *lot* going on in those 4 turns, once you expand your colony a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you but only one turn more...
I don't want to play with one turn more because the solo game is thinked starting from that but it's a pity...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Eisner
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Part of our intention when designing March of the Ants was to create a game that gave 4X experience in a condensed timeframe. The game originally was 9 rounds but we kept trimming it down and did our best to pack the most we could into the 4 rounds and 60-90 minute playtime.

In our tests the game usually holds shape through 5 rounds of play but after that the strength of players economies starts to overwhelm the limitations (feeding costs) of the game. For a longer game to work we would need to either create additional/increased costs as players continued to expand or rework entire parts of the economy.

I definitely think there is a large segment of the gaming populace who would like to play longer games and if we do any additional expansions or reimplementations of the MotA system we will definitely keep that in mind.

In the meantime I would recommend playing with 5 rounds to see how that feels and encouraging players to Explore a lot in the early rounds as that will greatly increase the economy of the game and the number of turns players are taking per round.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.