Joshua Hicks
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
We played our first game. We had a great time, but there were a few questions that we had where the rules didn't quite answer them. Some of them we found later, and I'm sure some of these are in there too, but we have been unable to locate the answers.

First, when Big Bertha fires as a rail gun against a fortress does that fortress roll it's dice before being hit or after?

Second, when purchasing new artillery can you increase the 0 counter or are you required to always have a bluff counter for artillery?

And lastly, there was a lot of confusion about the setting up the Hindenburg Line. We had kind of an odd setup. We didn't think to take a picture of it at the time, but I recreated approximately what it looked like:

In this instance, if the CP created the HL stretching from D01 to I10 what happens to the troops in E05, D05, and E06? The Axis technically isn't shortening the line, they are putting it where they could. Suppose the Allies took E04 and cut the CP off, would that change anything?

We played under the assumption that the HL became the new CP frontline, and the CP opted not to build it (they actually had the territory laid ou tin a way that they would have lost a lot more in those circumstances), but we weren't sure what was right.

Thanks in advance for taking your time to help us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are enjoying this game! I say there is sometimes hardly any movement, but always something going on!

Questions:

1) Big Bertha is its own thing (kinda) when used as a rail gun. Spend 1 LP and roll her dice. Anything that is a hit is applied before any other artilery is rolled and any blocking rolls. But — if Bertha hits with a 6 you must use all the next normal artillery 6s as against the defender blocks and not their first 6 direct hit rule. (7.3.1.1)

2) no need to always have a bluffing token, only the number value combined with the number of tiles you are allowed to have. it seems indeed that the counter limit of 6 must always include the Bluffing Tokens... much to my surprise, but also to my surprise how clear it is in the rules 2.5.5.

3) HELP! Yes, I’ve found this confusing too. I play that the HIndenberg Lune Rule in 7.4 applies to solo play because I couldn’t figure out when to actually fortify the line with the HL tokens. All rules during trench warfare years are covered elsewhere. Maybe we both can get some help.

-m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Big Bertha, when fired as a 'rail gun' (not really sure what the intent was with that term), consumes a logistic point & fires before other CP artillery only because it hits on a roll of 5 or 6, instead of just a 6. All Big Bertha hits when used in such manner apply to the fort.

All artillery fire is resolved simultaneously though. The targeted fort will still get to use all its guns before hits are applied to it.

Artillery bluffing counter must be included as part of the 6 allowable artillery counters, same as with aircraft (see 2.5.5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
siggy2021 wrote:

And lastly, there was a lot of confusion about the setting up the Hindenburg Line. We had kind of an odd setup. We didn't think to take a picture of it at the time, but I recreated approximately what it looked like:

In this instance, if the CP created the HL stretching from D01 to I10 what happens to the troops in E05, D05, and E06? The Axis technically isn't shortening the line, they are putting it where they could. Suppose the Allies took E04 and cut the CP off, would that change anything?

We played under the assumption that the HL became the new CP frontline, and the CP opted not to build it (they actually had the territory laid ou tin a way that they would have lost a lot more in those circumstances), but we weren't sure what was right.

In the illustration you provided, this would be the HL setup

The HL could not branch off at hex E04. See the illustration on Playbook pg.5 left column for rule illustration.

The intent is that the HL creates a wall of markers between the CP and the Allies. I read over the rules and am racking my brain for a better way to explain it. Each HL marker should be connected to another HL marker unless it is in the 01 or 10 row (very top and very bottom of the map).

Does this help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hicks
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
p38_Lightning wrote:
siggy2021 wrote:

In the illustration you provided, this would be the HL setup

The HL could not branch off at hex E04. See the illustration on Playbook pg.5 left column for rule illustration.

The intent is that the HL creates a wall of markers between the CP and the Allies. I read over the rules and am racking my brain for a better way to explain it. Each HL marker should be connected to another HL marker unless it is in the 01 or 10 row (very top and very bottom of the map).

Does this help?

That part in this instance does make sense to me. The question is when does this part take place:

Once reduced to 15 continuous hexes, Hindenburg Line markers
may be placed in the hexes containing the CP Control markers.
The CP player must also retreat all blocks from hexes vacated
in this way to adjacent hexes that now contain Hindenburg
Line markers.

Does this always happen, or only if the HL had to be reduced? In my specific example do the CP SP's in E05, D05, and E06 pull back and control markers flip, or because they could do it without "shortening" the line do they stay and just not benefit from the HL unless they move back during their turn?

Now that I'm looking at it more I think they probably just stay, but I could see it being read either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.