Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Hell
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for some suggestions on what some of you think might be the best card for new players playing with experienced players.

Three of us have played before. One or maybe two additional players have not played the game. All of us are experienced gamers, so I’m not too concerned about them grasping concepts, but there are a lot of little rules to keep up with in the base game alone, and everyone wants to play with the whole damn Verse.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We almost always start with "First Time in the Captain's Chair" for new players. There was one other good one for starters, but I can't recall the name off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "The King of all Londonium" is a pretty good one for your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Where the Wind Takes Us" (from one of the ship expansions--Esmerelda IIRC) puts goal tokens on different planets. Finish a job there, get the token. No need to track the cost-benefit ratio of different jobs, just whether you can pull it off at all. I find that makes it more newbie friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's a decent one if you've got new players mixed with lightly experienced players. Battle-hardened veterans, though, have a bit of an advantage in knowing where a lot of the jobs are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hell
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selenite wrote:
"Where the Wind Takes Us" (from one of the ship expansions--Esmerelda IIRC) puts goal tokens on different planets. Finish a job there, get the token. No need to track the cost-benefit ratio of different jobs, just whether you can pull it off at all. I find that makes it more newbie friendly.

That make a lot of sense. I have never played that one before. I might just go with that. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hell
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
That's a decent one if you've got new players mixed with lightly experienced players. Battle-hardened veterans, though, have a bit of an advantage in knowing where a lot of the jobs are...

Of the three of us that have played before, I've played the most and I am far from battle-hardened, plus I have a terrible memory anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Battle-hardened veterans, though, have a bit of an advantage in knowing where a lot of the jobs are...

Can't fix that one with the job card. You need another handicap, probably more starting cash or some free crew.

After the stomping my son got in our last game he's going to start with a free pilot and mechanic in the next one . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking on handicaps . . .

Hunting Party has two kinds of handicap cards. One is a skilled hunter who works for free, which newbies use when playing with vets. The other is someone with no skills who has to be paid anyway. That's what the vet gets when with a bunch of newbies.

There's already a dozen free crew in the game, so they could be given to the newbies. A vet would need a new one.

Naturally a Firefly handicap character couldn't be fired when double-disgruntled, or his captain is. Probably should fire another crew in his place if he's unpaid.

For players who are really running roughshod over their gaming group, they could get a handicap character who's Moral, or adds a Misbehave for Illegal jobs, or takes up two crew slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.