Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

My parents recently asked me to make a recommendation for them to add to their rotation or cards and the occasionally game of monopoly (Dad likes, mom not so much).

They are not big gamers and then are looking for something with a pretty straight forward and easy to approach rules set.

As I have just acquired The Gallerist, A feast for Odin and Lisboa, and I am extremely partial to games of this complexity, I rarely find myself looking into games like my parents are looking for.

I thought about “The Farming Game” which we have and played when our kids were younger.

I was thinking about “Ticket to Ride” - but I have not played and so I have no feel for the game other than the reviews I have watched.

Carcassonne suggested itself to me - but the meeple placement rules are probably more than my parents was to tackle.

Mom seemed to like the idea of a coop game - so Pandemic suggested itself. Again, I have not played so it is difficult for me to make a “fit determination”

Both of may parents are near or above 70 - so no fiddle bits, tons of small text, etc.

They want something less serious that would form an easy-going backdrop to spending time together.

They mentioned something like Clue but a bit more so I thought of Mystery Express (owned) but again the rule might be a bit much.

Ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benson Wolfe
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra plays well with two, is relatively easy to learn, and is a good way to pass the time without a lot of take-that. Certainly not any more of a hassle to get to the table than Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the typical player count? Just 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly C
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just for the two of them? While it's not anything like Clue and it's not a co-op, Patchwork is a great option for two players. It's super easy to learn, plays quickly (around 20 min to half an hour), and is very quick to set up and take down. I taught it to my mom and my mother in-law, as well as my sister and brother-in-law (all non-gamers), and all of them love it. I think it fits the bill for an "an easy-going backdrop to spending time together". My husband and I will play it after a long day at work when we want to play a quick, relaxing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking for my non-gamer wife, she first started playing games with Ticket to Ride, and still loves it - I would go with that! It is up to them how mean they want to be with the rules at two player level with regards to blocking routes, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Checkout my video at Calvin’s got Game on YouTube my mom gave her top 10 games she likes and she is 77. The video is called special guest top 10, maybe could help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean minimal take that (very little or none)? Or that it must have some?

What kind of card games do they like? There are plenty of 2-player card games, and depending on what they already know, theyd probably be easy to pick up and learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I think santorini is really appealing to non-gamers. Its almost like adding theme to something like checkers or chess. There are only a couple simple rules (especially if you start out with a basic game with no god powers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
... looking for something with a pretty straight forward and easy to approach rules set.

Some ability block another player but nothing approaching "take that" status can be found in Seeland. Some coaching may be useful at first regarding the mechanism for selecting a tile, but very easy to understand placing a tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
I think santorini is really appealing to non-gamers. Its almost like adding theme to something like checkers or chess. There are only a couple simple rules (especially if you start out with a basic game with no god powers.)

I think Santorini is an excellent choice! A simple rule set with interesting game play, and so much variety.

Kingdomino is another one that is light on rules, and pleasant to play.

Both play quickly and provide some interesting choices. Santorini definitely offers more to think about than Kingdomino, but both are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Splendor is an excellent gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Major SNAFU wrote:
... looking for something with a pretty straight forward and easy to approach rules set.

Some ability block another player but nothing approaching "take that" status can be found in Seeland. Some coaching may be useful at first regarding the mechanism for selecting a tile, but very easy to understand placing a tile.

Another fantastic game. This is one of the first games we started with. Great with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you think Carcassonne is too much for them, I think Pandemic would also be. These games are recommended for 2 players and are 1.5 weight and below.

Kingdomino
Sushi Go!
Love Letter: Batman
Coloretto
Las Vegas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Forbidden Island

Lots of fun, simple to learn and totally co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all of the replies. Very helpfull indeed.

Yes, it will almost always be just the two of them.

My wife and mom played Patchwork over the holiday. Mom liked it, but I don't think it will grab my dad's interest.

The ones where you are building something are probably the best bet. Even if it is just for fun my Dad like to have an objective to work on in what ever he is doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to give a +1 to Kingdomino. It was an add-in to a purchase I was making that turned out to be better than the intended purchase for ease of play and interest. It's cute, has some strategy to it. Feels satisfying as you fit the pieces together and is done in 20 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iwan Kandinshuk
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
Glüx has very easy rules (you learn them in about two minutes) and has much interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mystery Express needs a min of 3 people, unfortunately.

Battle Line (if they are familiar with poker; remove the tactics cards)
Lost Cities
Skip-bo
Mexican Train
Sequence
Codenames
Kill Doctor Lucky
Save Doctor Lucky
221B Baker Street
Cluedo Passport To Murder
Whodunit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's unfortunate that Mystery Express is only for 3+ players. I often play Mystery of the Abbey with my parents but that's also 3+.

I would have to agree with Kingdomino or perhaps Splendor. Also I'd recommend Forbidden Island over Pandemic -- larger pieces and simpler rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb

Some good recommendations above. I'll add (or +1):

Lost Cities
Splendor
Balloon Cup (Pinata is pretty much the same game, but Balloon Cup might appeal more at their age)

These are all pretty simple rules-wise and don't have elaborate set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
+1 Kingdomino
+1 Patchwork

These are great games and should fit your criteria well. They aren't fiddly, they have just enough strategy to be very enjoyable, they are easy to get on the table, they aren't hard to learn, and they have light take that elements (resource denial). I learned and have taught both of these games in five minutes and love them and heartily recommend them to anyone (abstract games are nice that way).

However, I've noticed that there are a lot of suggestions that are great except for the part about the games being fiddly.

For example, Pandemic, while a great game, has tons of little cubes to place and pick up (and should be ruled out for that reason alone). Ticket to Ride has small railway pieces that could be frustrating. Santorini is brilliant but, again, has lots of interaction with small pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
North Rose
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never understood why people loved Ticket to Ride so much until I purchased it. I have used it to get so many people hooked on gaming, and it's so much fun. Great time and great replay value.
Also, if they like Clue, have you looked into Mr. Jack?
+1 Kingdomino
+1 Splendor
Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic, while a marvelous coop game, would be too much for them as there are a number of easy-to-forget rules that must be followed, in order, and the bits could certainly be considered "fiddly". Maybe Forbidden Island, by the same designer, could work? (I'm thinking even Forbidden Desert can be considered fiddly with all those sand tiles and the shifting storm.)

For a competitive game I highly recommend Ticket to Ride, the original as it's got the lightest rule set. It's kind of like a fun, visible rummy game where you build train lines... very easy yet they can still develop strategies. And it's beautiful to play.

Splendor
is also an easy recommend, though Ticket to Ride might be more fun (building trains as opposed to collecting cards).

+1 Lost Cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would go with Century Spice Road. Excellent gateway game. Both Tom Vasel and Rahdo prefer this game over Splendor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
“Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.” ― George Iles
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're thinking of getting Ticket to Ride, I urge you to get the Nordic Countries. It can be played up to three players but it's best with two.

I agree with Ren, I think Forbidden Island would be better than Pandemic for your parents. I personally don't like co-op games but my parents and I really love The Game which is a co-op card game.

I agree with the others, Kingdomino would be a great recommendation too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.