Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEXT SESSION : Wednesday January 10, 2018.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was great to get back to Legion after I'd been out of town on holidays the past couple of weeks. We had a nice crowd out playing games at 4 tables.

I arrived a bit early and Patrick was good enough to teach Bill and I Red7, a fun little hand management game. In it you are playing cards to your tableau and/or rule pile to ensure that by the end of your turn you are winning according to the rule. If not, you are out of the game. (Not a big deal in such a short game). As the tableaus become larger and your hand size shrinks the choices become more difficult. Bill took the two games we played.

Next, I taught two newcomers Josh and Christine The Oracle of Delphi while Richard joined in. My special power gave me one fewer task to complete, Josh's allowed him to move around the oracle in either direction, Christine's gave her shields to start and Richard's reduced the cost of moving around the oracle by one favor token. For some reason I was hoarding favor tokens and that eventually proved to be important for me. Three things really helped my game. First, was rolling well in my early fights against monsters. Second was using a god power that wiped my slate of injury cards. Finally, I obtained companion cards that gave me extra movement. This last one was huge as I could fly around the board to complete my last few tasks. And, with my final roll of the dice I knew I could complete my last task and get back to Zeus. But, I looked at Josh and he was within striking distance too. I triggered the end, Josh also completed his tasks and made it back to Zeus. We were tied on oracle cards but I had more favor tokens.

Next Charles joined us as I taught Josh and Christine Rialto, one of my best game discoveries in 2017. It was an odd game as there was a lot of fighting over first position on the doge track after Richard and then Christine got the building which moved you up on the track. I had an early lead based on my uncharacteristic play of lots of bridge cards but didn't establish much presence on the board. Josh was well behind (and moving in the wrong direction) but, in one turn he went from last to first even while he established strong presence in several districts. The scoring of buildings and coins/councillors saw me vault into the lead. But, Josh retook the lead (and would never relinquish it) after scoring the first district. Surprisingly, I had enough points in the remaining districts to hold onto 2nd place.

Finally, I joined 3 others for a quick game of Stroop that was won by Steve after I botched the 2nd half of the game.

Other great games I saw played included Snowdonia, Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn, Odin's Ravens (Second Edition), Stroop and Ingenious.

Have a great week and I'll see you all next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.