Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the rules for Larry Harris’s ‘War Room’ game & am a big fan of the simultaneous movement planning & bidding for turn order in the rules. Seems this would help make the game be more engaging by limiting down time. Wonder if this could successfully be implementing into A&A. See any downsides?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birch97 wrote:
I just read the rules for Larry Harris’s ‘War Room’ game & am a big fan of the simultaneous movement planning & bidding for turn order in the rules. Seems this would help make the game be more engaging by limiting down time. Wonder if this could successfully be implementing into A&A. See any downsides?

I think there is going to be a lot of cross-referencing and blending of War Room and A&A games. It just seems that both games are brothers or cousins of each other and have a lot of similarities where this can occur.

For simultaneous movement, orders and bidding for turn order, A&A would need to be modified ever so slightly.

A).One would need to have flexible turn order(obviously...but this may interfere with people's tendencies to plan for where units are, and not where they may wind up. People are use to Germany or Russia or whichever nation going in pre-determined slots, and going before or after nations where the other nation's pieces are not moved).

B). What is the element bid for turn order? I.P.C.'s(A&A) instead of Oil as a resource(War Room). This seems to be the obvious answer.

Things that need to be figured out:

1. Process of notating orders, and or organizing units into commands and or groups that can be readily identified and verified. A loose or innaccurate way of notaing moves will lead to discrepencies and arguements about whether or not those units were legal to move or not, or if they were with some other group...

2. Which phases are done following turn order, and which could be done simultaneuosly? War Room has set phases that are simultaneous and set phases that follow turn order. Most of it seems natural to also transfer over to A&A, but would need to be playtested to make sure no unforeseen circumstances arise from different phases. Buying units could be simultaneuos, combat and non-combat moves follow turn order...

I've had a lot of the same thoughts since I heard about War Room and read its rules, for me, I will be having both games, so I don't know how much I will actually blend the two or crossover certain parts or not. as opposed to simply playing one or the other. But it is fun and exciting to ponder the possibilites.

As you said, the advantage is keeping everyone engaged and active with little downtime is a definite plus!

I think people with enough gumption and gusto can figure out ways to make War Room's elements of turn order bidding, and simultaneous orders
work for A&A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bor Onx
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Many years ago I drew up some rules for simultaneous axis and allies. I can't tell you how close they are to War Room.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hV7RIXj-_PXVFpSzeeP-aLrI...

I'm sure I haven't got all of the problems worked out of this. The most important thing I think is to get the turn sequence right while preserving what makes A&A special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.