Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We played with 9 and everyone agreed it went OK, a bit of a wait between turns until we killed off some of the monsters. Still, tight & tense action and all had a good time. Did not see any real downside. Would play with more if the opportunity came up.

Anyone else ever play with way more than suggested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We’ve played with 8, but we used a rules variant suggested on Reddit. It kept the game moving along well & helped it end in a reasonable time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwagner wrote:

We played with 9 and everyone agreed it went OK, a bit of a wait between turns until we killed off some of the monsters. Still, tight & tense action and all had a good time. Did not see any real downside. Would play with more if the opportunity came up.

Anyone else ever play with way more than suggested?

Wow. With only two monsters in Tokyo? I'd imagine no one ever got to stay in there, which would have made rolling for points the superlative strategy by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Most people were fearful of going into to Tokyo, so most were going for VP and power, so you tended to linger in Tokyo (or the bay), for most of the round, but early on nobody made it all the way to get the 2 VP and attack everyone else. It may have been worth it, if you could have gotten a bid attack roll of 5-6 claws, and survived, it would have put a big hurt on 7 of your opponents. And set them up for potentially dying in Tokyo when they "accidentally" got stuck there.

The win did end up being by VP's, but 6 monsters did get killed; it really did not play that much different; we did not use any rules modifications. Just played straight up; used the bay until we got under 5 monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played with up to 6 and it was a bit longer game but bloodier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem the game has with higher player counts is that it is perfectly possible for you to get killed of in a turn without ever getting a chance to heal yourself. The more players that are in there in between your turns increases this more. Granted only the person in Tokyo can attack you directly, but there are enough cards and abilities that also damage other players, it can become a problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lengthier game time, more downtime, and increased waiting for those eliminated early...I would consider these as possible downsides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
The only problem the game has with higher player counts is that it is perfectly possible for you to get killed of in a turn without ever getting a chance to heal yourself.

That's the least of its problems. Again, someone's going to win by points with that player count, and no one will be able to stay in Tokyo, so it will just come down to whoever can roll the most three-of-a-kinds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I'd suggest playing with that kind of player count by adding a third space to Tokyo. It will make it possible to have more players in the game and at the same time not have too many players outside of Tokyo between your own turns. However, 3 spaces in Tokyo looks only balanced to me for 7 or 8 players. I guess 9 (or 10) players would even require a fourth space.

I wouldn't play with this number of players, because I guess the game will be too long for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Kessinger
United States
Smiths Grove
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've combined KoT and KoNY characters to play 12. It took FOREVER and we've never attempted it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.