Hide
8 Posts

One Deck Dungeon» Forums » General

Subject: One Deck Dungeon vs Dungeon Roll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Linicke
msg tools
How do these games compare to each other? I would like to see a comparing head to head race between ODD and DR, as they are both good one to two player dungeon crawler games. Maybe someone who owns both adventures can let me know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Dungeon Roll has almost zero player decisions and ODD has tons of them. Despite the fact you're rolling tons of dice in both, ODD had a huge variety of ways for the player to mitigate the roll with skills. In Dungeon Roll, the only decision is push your luck. No contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I backed Dungeon Roll and One Deck Dungeon. Dungeon Roll is certainly a good push your luck game. However, I decided I personally prefer the control and variety offered in One Deck Dungeon, even with a more complex ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Linicke
msg tools
Okay, thanks for your opinions, I really enjoy DR but I will sure get ODD. The tough decisions in ODD are a good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Diceborn Heroes, which has suffered production setbacks but was on Kickstarter at the same time? I only had the funds to get one or the other and the artwork plus plastic cards won me over to One Deck Dungeon.

Did anyone play a prototype or print and play for Diceborn Heroes? There don't seem to be many new tiny box games that appeal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Linicke
msg tools
The preview looks nice. But it looks more like a multiplayer game to me. In DR and ODD the solo variants are more at the center. And it's not a small box game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Foster

Ventura
California
msg tools
badge
Obsession begins where common sense ends.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both as well.

DR has some nice aspects to it - such as reaching into a chest to pull out your treasures, fighting a dragon that might randomly appear depending on how you roll, feeling like you are leading a group of expendables into a dungeon to use as you need, and there is choice as to when you can back out and count your score. It also can give me 3-5 quick games in about 30 minutes if playing solo.

ODD is more complex and detailed experience. The goal of pushing through the dungeon (there's no turning back) to face the big boss is highly variable. The many many types of creatures and obstacles you face become your treasure (as explained many other places) which can be delegated to several possible uses - potions/items, XP, or skills. The boss is chosen before the game from a stack of 5. There are three dungeon levels with varied effects whose completion are timed by the depletion of your deck.

It might be a weird way of putting it, but DR is a game of a diminishing dice pool while ODD is a game of an expanding one.
I feel like I lose power as DR moves through each individual delve. In ODD I feel like I'm growing more powerful (unfortunately the dungeon grows in deadliness at the same time).

BUT - DR plays faster games and is less complex.
ODD has a lot of small rules that are great once you learn them, but can really affect the game if you miss them. BUT has a lot more variety and freedom of choice in how you build your powers.
(A sample of a rule I overlooked: Skills have symbols that dictate when you can use them. I had been applying all skills to all situations. That's a no-no.)

Hope you have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Linicke
msg tools
"It might be a weird way of putting it, but DR is a game of a diminishing dice pool while ODD is a game of an expanding one."

Haha that's an amazing point! Even though I have seen some ODD let's plays, that was somehow not obvious to me.

Okay... Everything that has been said here, increased my interest in this game and to be honest: It's difficult for me to resist buying the original english version.

I contacted Asmadi Games and they say, that a german publishing company is translating the game right now. So hopefully I will get my hands on it within the next two month.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Oh man, that's exactly what I was waiting for!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.