Subject: Taking trauma during a mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If something causes you to take trauma during the course of a mission instead of at the end, do you take a health or horror token immediately, or does it only effect you at the beginning of the next game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be from that moment until the end of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
If something causes you to take trauma during the course of a mission instead of at the end, do you take a health or trauma token immediately, or does it only effect you at the beginning of the next game?

Is there something specific? I can't think of anything that causes Trauma that doesn't specify "When the game ends" or words to that effect. There are no "Trauma" tokens, Physical Trauma is written down in your notes and then represented by taking that many Damage Tokens at the beginning of the next Game (which, by the way, can be healed as if they were normal damage during that game, but will show up again at the beginning of the next game whether you heal the Damage or not)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
All trauma does is start you in the scenario with damage or horror equal to physical/ mental trauma your character has, so if you take a trauma in the middle of the scenario

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Like when you enter the engine in Essex county express

You mark in the campaign log that you got the trauma but you don't take the damage for it at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trauma is a tracked stat in your Campaign log. It has two effects:

1) If you have trauma equal to the printed (edit: added this after correction below) matching stat, you are killed/driven insane. This is an ongoing effect, so should be checked any time you gain trauma or your stat is decreased (note that taking damage/horror does not reduce your health/sanity; it is a value checked against your actual health/sanity to give your "remaining" value.)

(Currently I believe the only card in the game to affect your actual health/sanity - which therefore might interact with trauma mid-level - is Dreams of R'lyeh.)

2) At the start of a scenario in a campaign, you take damage and horror equal to your trauma. This is a specific step in scenario setup - in fact, it's step 2, coming only after choosing the investigators and placing their identity cards in play. Any time you gain trauma after that - whether the end of a scenario, mid-scenario, or even other stages of scenario setup - won't cause you to take damage/horror until the start of the following scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
All trauma does is start you in the scenario with damage or horror equal to physical/ mental trauma your character has, so if you take a trauma in the middle of the scenario

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Like when you enter the engine in Essex county express

You mark in the campaign log that you got the trauma but you don't take the damage for it at that time.

That's how I played it, but I spent a lot of time searching the rule book for some mention of what to do. Since it didn't say anything, I decided not to do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:

(Currently I believe the only card in the game to affect your actual health/sanity - which therefore might interact with trauma mid-level - is Dreams of R'lyeh.)

The trauma rules specify that you are killed or insane if trauma matches the "printed" health/sanity, so I don't think that would affect trauma either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite right, I missed the "printed" part of that line. That makes more sense than Dreams being allowed to suddenly drive you insane mid-game (even if you wouldn't normally be defeated!)

Thanks, shall edit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never even thought to question this and assumed that taking trauma during a scenario meant that you immediately took the appropriate damage/horror too. Which appears to be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.