Charterstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about the order of operations involving influence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Safford

Texas
msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If I use a Chef on a building in my Charter that has influence as a cost, and I have no influence in the general supply, do I 1st pay the influence, use the building, and then regain the influence immediately? Or do I first fail to regain any influence, then pay the cost and use the building?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WallyMetropolis wrote:
If I use a Chef on a building in my Charter that has influence as a cost, and I have no influence in the general supply, do I 1st pay the influence, use the building, and then regain the influence immediately? Or do I first fail to regain any influence, then pay the cost and use the building?

Thanks

Minions trigger first before the cost of the building is paid. Tho this is not quite clear in the rules, the Charterstone FAQ clarifies this.

Quote:
Minions: A minion is a type of worker that you may place only on unoccupied buildings in your charter. When you do, gain the minion benefit, then use the building. In that way, a minion may be used to gain the cost of the building on which you placed it. The “minion’s building” is the building your minion token is on–if an opponent places a worker on that building, the minion stays there, and you gain the minion’s bonus. All cards that refer to “workers” apply to both regular workers and minions. The reference card for that minion type goes in the general supply for all players to see. This is noted on Rule 16 (card 33: Minions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You first place the worker, and minion bonuses trigger at the moment you place them. Then you pay the cost and gain the benefit. So with the Chef, you could place, it, regain influence from the general supply, use that influence to pay the cost to use the building, then gain the building's benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keillor
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the chef would be hurt by this rule I'm thinking and may be different than we're playing him. I am pretty sure when we put the chef down on a building with an influence cost, we just make it a wash. He pays, he gets one back. If his ability triggers before payment, there are no influence in the supply to get back, so his bonus doesn't work if you use it before having influence in the supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad: This is correct: "If his ability triggers before payment, there are no influence in the supply to get back, so his bonus doesn't work if you use it before having influence in the supply?"

It conditionally hurts the chef, but it helps when you have even just 1 influence in the general supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keillor
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody uses the chef really but me, so I'll quietly fix the way we played it. I'm still sitting in about 3rd place after game 6 so no huge advantage. Brilliant ideas to finish that session though I might add.

I only hope one of the next few games has the one with the most trophies get hit by a flood or something and lose all his cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.