Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't very similar at all except for the space theme. Jump is strictly a card game with cards being used as a resource. The game is also short at about 20 minutes. Epic is a more robust game that is dice-driven. It is about building a space empire through colonizing planets. Will answer any other questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies became annoyingly dull and repetitive after just a few plays. The planets have abilities that I found to be lackluster. The follow mechanic at higher player counts turns the game into a slog. Jump Drive is smoother, the cards are much more interesting than the cards in Galaxies, and Jump Drive has much more replay value.

If you absolutely prefer dice to cards, Roll for the Galaxy is a much better game than TEG. But that’s a big box game with a higher price tag.

If you want to keep cost down, Jump Drive is a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Washburn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this a while back which might be helpful to you.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1817995/jump-drive-vs-teg-s...

I own them both and really like them both! They're quite different mechanically (cards vs dice). Any specific questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Are these comments based on the base game or TEG+BtB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both good games. TEG has better replay value even without the expansion, which it has and Jumpdrive does not. Unless I have less than 30 minutes to play, I would pick TEG over Jump. TEG has many more meaningful decisions to make. Many hands of Jump virtually play themselves with a single path dictated by what is in your hand and/or what you've already played. Jump also has a bit of a runaway problem, but since game time is so short, you can just lose if you're way behind and play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nolasco
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Are these comments based on the base game or TEG+BtB?

Just the base

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
They are both good games. TEG has better replay value even without the expansion, which it has and Jumpdrive does not. Unless I have less than 30 minutes to play, I would pick TEG over Jump. TEG has many more meaningful decisions to make. Many hands of Jump virtually play themselves with a single path dictated by what is in your hand and/or what you've already played. Jump also has a bit of a runaway problem, but since game time is so short, you can just lose if you're way behind and play again.

Just be aware that when someone claims a game is good, sometimes it is wise to put it into context. Rickert has a soft spot for light dice games and will sometimes give them a little more praise than they are due. Rickert also likes most games he plays (63.2% of his ratings are 9 and above). You would do yourself good by browsing through his (as well as others') comments to see how his tastes align with yours. Your tastes may very well align with his and so his recommendation of "good" may have value to you. My tastes overlap with his a bit, but what I consider a great game is often at odds with what he considers a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
rickert wrote:

Just be aware that when someone claims a game is good, sometimes it is wise to put it into context. Rickert has a soft spot for light dice games and will sometimes give them a little more praise than they are due. Rickert also likes most games he plays (63.2% of his ratings are 9 and above). You would do yourself good by browsing through his (as well as others') comments to see how his tastes align with yours. Your tastes may very well align with his and so his recommendation of "good" may have value to you. My tastes overlap with his a bit, but what I consider a great game is often at odds with what he considers a great game.

Please keep in mind that when I don't like a gamme and give it a low rating I then swell or trade it and take it out of my collection so it no longer shows up. As far as light dice games go, I like fun and they often are. Even though that is truly subjective, it is something too many reviewers gloss over or ignore completely. Do keep in my mind I have high ratings for Roll for the Galaxy, Dice City and Roll Player, which aren't light dice games, to me anyway. And I have a high rating for Concordia, which isn't a light anything. Finally, my favorite game ever is Dominion, which uses no dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jump Drive has by far the higher replay value.

I've played Jump Drive 78 times in less than a year, and although the initial excitement has now worn off, I expect that I'll still play it more in the future.

I've played Tiny Epic Galaxies only 27 times, despite owning it for more than two years. My most recent play was in 2016, and I didn't choose to play it last month even when I was making a deliberate effort to play dice games for the Dicember challenge. TEG would probably have even fewer plays if we hadn't ended up using it for our 16x16 challenge a couple of years ago.

I'm sure I could get more plays out of TEG by purchasing the expansion. But I could also use that money to purchase a brand new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:

I've played Jump Drive 78 times in less than a year, and although the initial excitement has now worn off, I expect that I'll still play it more in the future.

I've played Tiny Epic Galaxies only 27 times, despite owning it for more than two years. My most recent play was in 2016, and I didn't choose to play it last month even when I was making a deliberate effort to play dice games for the Dicember challenge. TEG would probably have even fewer plays if we hadn't ended up using it for our 16x16 challenge a couple of years ago.

I'm sure I could get more plays out of TEG by purchasing the expansion. But I could also use that money to purchase a brand new game.

I am not convinced of your post because other than personal preference you gave no reasons why a game with the same cards and goals every time is more replayable. Playing it more doesn't exactly fit the definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
rickert wrote:

Please keep in mind that when I don't like a gamme and give it a low rating I then swell or trade it and take it out of my collection so it no longer shows up. As far as light dice games go, I like fun and they often are. Even though that is truly subjective, it is something too many reviewers gloss over or ignore completely. Do keep in my mind I have high ratings for Roll for the Galaxy, Dice City and Roll Player, which aren't light dice games, to me anyway. And I have a high rating for Concordia, which isn't a light anything. Finally, my favorite game ever is Dominion, which uses no dice.

In these parts it seems you are looked down on unless you hate more games than like. You obviously are not as sofisticated as others. I know I keep up on boards for games I don’t really like, doesn’t everyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
rickert wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
rickert wrote:

In these parts it seems you are looked down on unless you hate more games than like. You obviously are not as sofisticated as others. I know I keep up on boards for games I don’t really like, doesn’t everyone?

Not true. I just don't trust someone that likes everything. I have more high ratings than low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Dunyazad wrote:

I am not convinced of your post because other than personal preference you gave no reasons why a game with the same cards and goals every time is more replayable. Playing it more doesn't exactly fit the definition.

But the cards ("planets") in TEG don't have that much variety anyway. Many of them are manipulating between the two resources, culture and energy. You might get a different set of planets that come out between two games, but since the cards are so similar, the two games don't feel all that different. You might see the same cards in two different games of Jump Drive, but which ones you combo together AND in what order you play them can give the two games a very different feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
rickert wrote:
Dunyazad wrote:

But the cards ("planets") in TEG don't have that much variety anyway. Many of them are manipulating between the two resources, culture and energy. You might get a different set of planets that come out between two games, but since the cards are so similar, the two games don't feel all that different. You might see the same cards in two different games of Jump Drive, but which ones you combo together AND in what order you play them can give the two games a very different feel.

I find the opposite to be true. You see so many cards in Jump that you can virtually play the same strategy every time if you like. By mid-game it isn't unusual to be drawing 15 or more cards each time. With many cards repeated in the deck, I would need a deck of twice as many cards as there are now to fell what you feel out of Jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Dunyazad wrote:

That's fine; this is a discussion forum, not a research paper, and I have no personal stake in the outcome. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew that there were other perspectives, especially since the response in a TEG forum is going to have a clear bias in favour of TEG.

And of course, the number of different components has no relevance for replayability; Go is one of the deepest and most replayable games out there.

If I had a choice between two definitions of replayability, either "playing it more" or "more different components between plays", I know which one I'd pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
rickert wrote:
Dunyazad wrote:

That's fine; this is a discussion forum, not a research paper, and I have no personal stake in the outcome. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew that there were other perspectives, especially since the response in a TEG forum is going to have a clear bias in favour of TEG.

And of course, the number of different components has no relevance for replayability; Go is one of the deepest and most replayable games out there.

If I had a choice between two definitions of replayability, either "playing it more" or "more different components between plays", I know which one I'd pick.

I'd pick neither of those. I'd pick the one that offers the most variety in gameplay. For me, if every game feels the same, then it might be a great game and it might be quite "playable" but I wouldn't rank the "replayability" as high as a game where the path to victory changes or the way to earn points changes or the materials available as tools to reach those goals change. That's why for me, Dominion has more replayability than Go. I can play Dominion 10 times in a row and have it feel different, thus making it less likely I will grow tired of it and more on to another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.