Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Resistance (Avalon) or Secret Hitler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max T
msg tools
I just recently purchased Avalon for my brother over Xmas. We played it right away and the whole family enjoyed it and loved the mechanics. The question is, do I purchase my own copy of Avalon for myself or purchase something different like Secret Hitler. What is everybody's opinion? I'm not sure how Secret Hitler's gameplay/mechanics compares to Avalon. I know it's relatively similar. Typically our gaming group tends to stay between 5-7 players. I'm also looking into purchasing Coup. I'm hoping for some ensight on social deduction games but I don't want to own both Avalon and Secret Hitler. Thank you for your help!

Also, my group loves games with some strategy/deeper thought involved. Not a huge fan of luck/"party games." Puerto Rico and Citadels are our favorites. I realize they are in a different category than Avalon and SH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience, I feel like Avalon creates more dynamic opportunities for deception and intrigue. I've heard everything by way of logic and not-so logical arguments in Avalon. Things can get pretty complicated, real fast, and that's awesome.

But in Secret Hitler, I didn't get that. After playing it a dozen or so times, I realized that every game resulted in the same debate:

"He only gave me bad cards to choose from! I had no choice!"...

"No I didn't, he's lying!" or "Well I only drew bad cards, I had no choice either!"

And that same things happens every game. I was tires of it after just a handful of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther Joey Diamond
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm also interested in picking up a game in this genre for playing when a biggish group of friends (6+) comes together.

If people have any tips about how to choose between all of them I'd be interested. Do some suit different player counts of play styles better? Are they really any better than old fashioned werewolf or mafia? Has anyone played Secrets yet?

Ps. Sorry for crashing this thread.. I can start my own if you'd prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Avalon over old-fashioned werewolf and mafia, because in those games, there is player elimination. The eliminated players have to just sit silently and watch. Avalon removes this problem, using a voting system that keeps everybody in the game and--if they play well--holding a valid voice right up until the final vote is cast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
+1 The Resistance: Avalon
-1 Secret Hitler, Werewolf

For the reasons mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kita

Huntington Beach
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
++++1 for The Resistance: Avalon and (Vanilla) The Resistance

If you’re looking to add an additional social deduction that plays wells for your group number:
Werewords
Insider
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max T
msg tools
Awesome! Thank you for the help. It looks like I won't waste my time with SH. Maybe just do the print and play to find out. I'll be purchasing Avalon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I would add the One Night Ultimate series (Werewolf, Daybreak, Alien and Vampire) to the suggestion mix. You have a certain number of roles (depending upon the player count) in play w/ some random ones on the table, everyone takes their actions and then you have to try and figure out who various people are (depending upon the specific version of the game you are playing and the roles in play).

It does certainly depend upon the group you are playing w/ though. For the group that introduced it to me they would all jump in right away and start making accusation about who did what and who the "bad guys" were. In the second group though it was like pulling teeth trying to get them to say anything or figure anything out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max T
msg tools
fh13 wrote:
I would add the One Night Ultimate series (Werewolf, Daybreak, Alien and Vampire) to the suggestion mix. You have a certain number of roles (depending upon the player count) in play w/ some random ones on the table, everyone takes their actions and then you have to try and figure out who various people are (depending upon the specific version of the game you are playing and the roles in play).

It does certainly depend upon the group you are playing w/ though. For the group that introduced it to me they would all jump in right away and start making accusation about who did what and who the "bad guys" were. In the second group though it was like pulling teeth trying to get them to say anything or figure anything out.

Thank you for your suggestion. Although, I never was a fan of the ultimate vampire game. Too much confusion and movement. I believe simple is better in this game genre. I ended up selling vampires a few days ago due to this issue. Also, in the resistance, you feel more accomplished and satisfied if your team wins. I like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Deception: Murder in Hong Kong you should also know that the expansion is in the works/coming out soon. Deception: Undercover Allies

That is my favorite hidden role game that relies on more than just finger pointing and accusations.

The Resistance: Avalon is good but sometimes more is needed for my group when it comes to staying power. I found that Shadow Hunters is more of what my group likes. I suggest you keep researching and find what fits your groups play style.

Happy hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! one more suggestion: Werewords is a very good filler game of this type. You do need the free app to play it but it has the same feeling as a light werewolf game without getting into the sameness of One Night - in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max T
msg tools
Thanks Ben, I will look into those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Salem. Its like the resistance or avalon but seldom dissolves into my friends just yelling at each other. Actually, its our favorite game for bigger game nights!

Secret Hitler is interesting but I'd prefer to play the Secret Voldemort (found in the PnP forums here). Less Nazis and more wizards thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
I have to agree with the others: The Resistance: Avalon is simply better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
+1 Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

I played this one recently and it was fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To play devil's advocate, Secret Hitler is a great game, and perhaps an equal to Resistance. The Presidential powers aspect adds a pretty neat layer to the game.

I own both and will continue to own both. However if your group is 5-7 people mostly, the general consensus is Resistance is best at 6-8, SH is best at 7-10. When Resistance climbs in player count it's REALLY difficult to keep things in order and the spies win most games, I find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.