Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: provoking roar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
if the enemy adjaccent to my ally isnt adjacent to me does his attack miss totally or does he attack me anyway
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Avatar
Does the card mention enemy position anywhere? No. Enemy position does not matter, then. You become the target.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
you become the target, yes. But that doesn't answer the question.

Does this effect mean that that enemy can hit you even if you are outside of its normal attack range? Or do they target you and miss if you are outside of its normal attack range?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Avatar
JayJ79 wrote:
you become the target, yes. But that doesn't answer the question.

Does this effect mean that that enemy can hit you even if you are outside of its normal attack range? Or do they target you and miss if you are outside of its normal attack range?
Well, if you read the card it also says "regardless of the attack's range", so...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
you become the target, yes. But that doesn't answer the question.

Does this effect mean that that enemy can hit you even if you are outside of its normal attack range? Or do they target you and miss if you are outside of its normal attack range?


He hits you, otherwise this card would be the single most OP card on the entire game and you would always have your brute just out of reach and keep nulling every attack in the game.

I don't know it this is a second edition thing tough but it says in the card with all letters that the redirected attack targets the brute regardless of range.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
found some answers in this old thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25221642

Cephalofair wrote:
...While Provoking Roar overrides the adjacency restrictions on enemy attacks, it doesn't override the adjacency restrictions on retaliate.


which means that the attacks will hit the Brute normally (still dependant on the monster's attack modifier, of course), even if the Brute is outside of range. (but if the Brute has Retaliate, it would only trigger if the monster was in the retaliate's range... normally meaning adjacent to the Brute).

I wonder how that would apply to Disadvantage for ranged attacks.
If the ranged attacker is adjacent to the Brute's ally, and targetting that ally, the monster would normally would have a Disadvantaged attack. But if they weren't adjacent to the Brute (who they are forced to target due to the Roar), would they still have Disadvantage?

And I assume that the Monsters still focus on the ally, and move (if applicable) as if they were attacking that ally, its just when the actual attack takes place, it targets the Brute instead?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:
He hits you, otherwise this card would be the single most OP card on the entire game and you would always have your brute just out of reach and keep nulling every attack in the game.

it wouldn't be THAT overpowering, and it wouldn't null every attack in the game. The effect only lasts for one round (though it isn't a loss card, so can be recovered after rests)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Avatar
JayJ79 wrote:
found some answers in this old thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25221642

Cephalofair wrote:
...While Provoking Roar overrides the adjacency restrictions on enemy attacks, it doesn't override the adjacency restrictions on retaliate.


which means that the attacks will hit the Brute normally (still dependant on the monster's attack modifier, of course), even if the Brute is outside of range. (but if the Brute has Retaliate, it would only trigger if the monster was in the retaliate's range... normally meaning adjacent to the Brute).

I wonder how that would apply to Disadvantage for ranged attacks.
If the ranged attacker is adjacent to the Brute's ally, and targetting that ally, the monster would normally would have a Disadvantaged attack. But if they weren't adjacent to the Brute (who they are forced to target due to the Roar), would they still have Disadvantage?

And I assume that the Monsters still focus on the ally, and move (if applicable) as if they were attacking that ally, its just when the actual attack takes place, it targets the Brute instead?
The card says, again, that you become the target. If you are the target, and the monster is not adjacent, then by definition the monster is not at disadvantage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
DakonBlackblade wrote:
He hits you, otherwise this card would be the single most OP card on the entire game and you would always have your brute just out of reach and keep nulling every attack in the game.

it wouldn't be THAT overpowering, and it wouldn't null every attack in the game. The effect only lasts for one round (though it isn't a loss card, so can be recovered after rests)


It would be quite insane, youd park whoever you wanted on a door and just soak an entire room worth of attacks with the brute placed behind him (or you could park 2 dudes right in front of a door and the Brute at the door, and other things too). Considering sta pots and that short rest is a thing you could do this for as long as you wanted (provided you have cards to loose for a short rest) and just own the room without ever being threatened.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:
It would be quite insane, youd park whoever you wanted on a door and just soak an entire room worth of attacks with the brute placed behind him (or you could park 2 dudes right in front of a door and the Brute at the door, and other things too). Considering sta pots and that short rest is a thing you could do this for as long as you wanted (provided you have cards to loose for a short rest) and just own the room without ever being threatened.

you can only have one stamina potion, and it is consumed after one use.
(well, I suppose you could have a minor and a major once the prosperity level is high enough).
so yeah, it would be a bit cheesy, like the whole "invisible in doorway" thing. but still not the most OP in the game.

all theoretical anyway, since that isn't how the card works
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
DakonBlackblade wrote:
It would be quite insane, youd park whoever you wanted on a door and just soak an entire room worth of attacks with the brute placed behind him (or you could park 2 dudes right in front of a door and the Brute at the door, and other things too). Considering sta pots and that short rest is a thing you could do this for as long as you wanted (provided you have cards to loose for a short rest) and just own the room without ever being threatened.

you can only have one stamina potion, and it is consumed after one use.
(well, I suppose you could have a minor and a major once the prosperity level is high enough).
so yeah, it would be a bit cheesy, like the whole "invisible in doorway" thing. but still not the most OP in the game.

all theoretical anyway, since that isn't how the card works


Invisible in a doorway only works if you party is also behind the invisible dude, and therefore cut out from melee attacking and such, this would mean you can have ppl on the other side of the door fighting and the brute soaking everything, you could even do this in the midle of a room provided all the enemies were in the oposing side of where the brute would be.

But as you said, all theoretical aside, this isn't how the card works.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.