Subject: Size of the octagon tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this for the first time today with a friend who is a mad max nut. He loved it, we all enjoyed it. The board could use a frame, I'd like to make him one. I couldn't whip out a measuring tape at the table, it would spoil my surprise.

The key measurement I need from side to side of one of the octagons, and to confirm all the sides of the octagons are indeed equilateral. They looked like they were....

Reward for completing this quest is ... uhhh ... photos in this thread of a completed acrylic frame for WEDS

Also, my instinct is to cut it from transparent orange acrylic ... and leave the tan backing on the bottom side so its a grungy orange no matter what table it is on. But I could see an argument for red or neon green... even a blue or purple. It's a very colorful game. Any thoughts re: color?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cloutier
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Each side of the octagon is 2 1/16" with a flat to flat diameter of 5". The outposts are a hair under 2" on a side (1 31/32")

Don't forget that the outposts stick out from the sides along the edges when you build your frame. Seems like a complicated shape but could look really awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyerlynx wrote:
Each side of the octagon is 2 1/16" with a flat to flat diameter of 5". The outposts are a hair under 2" on a side (1 31/32")

Don't forget that the outposts stick out from the sides along the edges when you build your frame!

Thanks!

Yes, was already accounting for those projections. This will be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered the acrylic, started drawing it up. Going to incorporate card 'docks' into two sides, also hoping to etch in edge details, logos, some spots for the supply and demand tokens, maybe even attempt some paintfilling ... but that's getting ahead, will see how it goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frame is cut ...

... and one is painted and taped ...

Giving it the high gloss treatment. Next Sunday I'll gift it away and get an in-game action shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Frame is cut ...

... and one is painted and taped ...

Giving it the high gloss treatment. Next Sunday I'll gift it away and get an in-game action shot!

that is awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Tudisco
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed! Is this something you could/would be willing to post to an appropriate maker site so others could get some?

And/or an Etsy page?

I quite enjoy the game, but I've only played it on a gaming mat that I don't own, and I just know it's going to go everywhere on the next table I use it on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did this work out? Pics of the full setup? Would you be willing to sell additional frames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bumrobot wrote:
Did this work out? Pics of the full setup? Would you be willing to sell additional frames?

Yes, it was a hit! Friends loved it and have played add'l games with it. There was an error, tho, I included space for base tiles at the corners, but the game setup doesn't call for bases at the corners ... maybe some variant or expansion will, so I can pretend it was intentional.

If there is interest I could post a listing for it on Etsy. But it would have a 2wk lead time (I don't often have a need for fluorescent orange acrylic!), and I would offer it plain, w/o etching, paintfill, or clearseal.

If people are interested in the frame with the etching, I would have to remove the logos, as I don't have rights to that art.

I could throw in the band-aids along with the etching. I've got plenty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.