Hide
14 Posts

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions for older edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Fennell
msg tools
Picked up a copy of the first edition of this real cheap this weekend; are all of the expansions I've seen listed compatible with the older edition or is there some change that makes the expansions only viable with the newer edition?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions were designed to work with the older editions. There are no new expansions for the revised edition except WizKidz minis. You’ll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not quite true, Joe. The 5-6 player expansion and the Artifex deck are designed for the new edition.

The Artifex deck can, in theory, be used with the old edition if you make a list of action space names and which action spaces they refer to. The old Agricola did not have named action spaces (e.g., in the new Agricola, the "+3 wood" accumulation space is called "Forest").

The 5-6 player expansion is not recommended for the old Agricola (which is already playable with 5 players out of the box) but you can use it if you really want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Rocha
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the only expansion for the older edition was Farmers of the Moor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're talking about this list, then yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, more of the B, C, and D deck are being released soon from what I've heard from your company and Mayfair, Grzegorz. Only thing we've seen of C and D is the 5+ Ocks in the 5-6 expansion. Also, the 5-6 has the newest iteration of the L deck (Scottish themed because of Isle of Skye winning the Kenner in 2016 over Pandemic Legacy Season 1 and T.I.M.E. Stories)

Also, to my understanding, I did see that they switched from E K I to A-D for the complexity symbols, so if you want to play with a certain set of complexity that mixes the 2 editions together, I think you might need some help trying to get them to go into the right 'deck'. Also, easy to tell that it's a new edition and old edition thanks to the differing backs (and can't mask them as there's only 1 opaque back out there: Mayday Black Euro sleeves)

I did see in the Revised edition files section that there is a 'conversion page' for the different actions, for the 'starting spaces' (Mainboard and Player count boards/cards) and the Round Spaces, so there's that. Though, it's meant to be printed on a single letter (a4?) sheet, not a card for every player to have.

I know, mostly offtopic, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick reply to this: Yes, the Artifex deck is for the revised edition but is unavailable in the US at this time. The OP wanted to know if current expansions (I presume “cards”) are still compatible. That’s what prompted my answer since he was buying a non-revised edition.

Either way, Agricola as we know it.....has changed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think the Artifax deck is good and works well with the older version, you just have to translate the spaces, or write up a crib sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thankfully the new version of Agricola lives in the database as a different entry from the original (Agricola vs Agricola (Revised Edition)). This also means that the matching expansions are listed under the appropriate entry. Stick to the list associated with "classic" Agricola (which Gawain helpfully linked above) and you'll be okay.

Or, as others mentioned, familiarize yourself with the new space names and you can use just about whichever cards you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gusrocha wrote:
I thought the only expansion for the older edition was Farmers of the Moor?

No.

Agricola: The Goodies Expansion (contains some of the other expansions too like X deck but I will list some more below in a non-comprehensive list)
Agricola: Ö-Deck
Agricola: NL-Deck
Agricola: Pi-Deck
Agricola: France Deck
Agricola: Bielefeld Deck
Agricola X-Deck
Agricola: Belgium Deck
Agricola: Gamers' Deck

...and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane anderson
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
I had to pay $50 each for the wm and France decks. You generally have to look on the geek market or eBay to get them. Worth every penny laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Affolter
msg tools
I wanted to make sure that I understood something correctly here. Will the new Farmers of the Moor work with an old Z-Man edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffolte wrote:
I wanted to make sure that I understood something correctly here. Will the new Farmers of the Moor work with an old Z-Man edition?

Work ... yes, but it ain't gonna be pretty.

Aside from looks, here's a couple of potential problems off the top of my head:
- Cards that refer to action spaces use the new action space names.
- Old Agricola does not have the same additional action spaces for 3+ players as the new one. You might be missing an action space or have different ones (with 5 players, for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grable
United States
Charlestown
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
COVFEFE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm assuming the new "color" expansion cards do not really work with the older version? I have the Z-Man version but like the miniatures in these expansions and may just get them for that. Interested in if the cards would be of any use to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.