24 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: Should I exchange it? (Post includes pic of inside of box) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
I just opened up the brand new sealed box and it looks like the attached image. The tuckboxes numbered iii and iv are crushed and the insert is ripped. My gut says to exchange it for a new box. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anything in those boxes would be damaged, if that's what you're asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Even if none of the Mariah’s were damaged get a new box. If you buy something new you should be getting everything intact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
Super Zero wrote:
I don't think anything in those boxes would be damaged, if that's what you're asking.

Well, I'm concerned if there may be anything missing. But most of all, this is not a $20 board game. I'd like it all to be pristine, even if this is a legacy game, ironically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
LateShacka wrote:
Even if none of the Mariah’s were damaged get a new box. If you buy something new you should be getting everything intact.

That's what I think as well. Guess I'll be driving down to my FLGS tomorrow. Hope they have more copies in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Zero wrote:

Not 100% sure on that - while tuckboxes i-iv won't have any issues, 'tuckbox v' seems to be missing:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It sits under the contents of the box, and as the base of the box can clearly be seen through the torn insert, it's appears to not be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Judging from the condition of box iii, it's contents could also be damaged. In general, a game as beautiful and expensive as Charterstone should not look like that. I would kindly ask for replacement if I was you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: Please, please do not burden your FLGS with this request. The contents of the box are not their responsibility, and it would be a huge waste for you to return an entire game just to fix a few tuckboxes.

Instead, just fill out our replacement parts form for tuckboxes iii and iv (the insert is just filler--you can remove it).

For anyone reading this, please do not ever return an entire game just to replace a component. Every publisher has a form on their website where you can get replacement parts. This really needs to become common knowledge, so if you ever see a post like this, copy and paste the link below.

https://stonemaiergames.com/an-open-letter-to-gamers-from-a-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Instead, just fill out our replacement parts form for tuckboxes iii and iv (the insert is just filler--you can remove it).

Just to agree with Israel, it looks like you need to add tuckbox v to your replacement request. It may be a bit of a spoiler to have to do this but not too much and certainly much better than having to submit 2 replacement requests. (We discovered the contents by accident and are still enjoying the game despite this.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
capture wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Just to agree with Israel, it looks like you need to add tuckbox v to your replacement request. It may be a bit of a spoiler to have to do this but not too much and certainly much better than having to submit 2 replacement requests. (We discovered the contents by accident and are still enjoying the game despite this.)

Thank you for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
For anyone reading this, please do not ever return an entire game just to replace a component. Every publisher has a form on their website where you can get replacement parts. This really needs to become common knowledge, so if you ever see a post like this, copy and paste the link below.

Is that an American thing or a recent development? Whenever I contacted a German publisher due to an issue with my game, the uniform answer has always been "If possible, please return it to where you bought it".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin: It's a worldwide thing. Whoever that publisher is, they're an outlier. The only reason you would go back to the retailer is if there's damage to the exterior box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
cuazzel wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Is that an American thing or a recent development? Whenever I contacted a German publisher due to an issue with my game, the uniform answer has always been "If possible, please return it to where you bought it".
This is a thing about board games mainly... From my own experience atleast, I know that Heidelberger and Hans im Glück always replace damaged or missing parts inside the box. Dunno about other publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
The contents of the box are not their responsibility.

Jamey, I totally understand why it's easier and less wasteful to go directly to the publisher - but just to clear, in the UK (and across the EU) the law is that a retailer is entirely responsible for ensuring a product is free from defect and works as advertised. It doesn't matter if it is inside or outside the box - and in the case of Dan above, if he was in the EU he would be entirely within his rights to return for a refund or replacement.

I would probably go down the publisher contact route for ease (as I have before), but lots of people in the UK aren't aware of their rights as it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
The contents of the box are not their responsibility.

Jamey, I totally understand why it's easier and less wasteful to go directly to the publisher - but just to clear, in the UK (and across the EU) the law is that a retailer is entirely responsible for ensuring a product is free from defect and works as advertised. It doesn't matter if it is inside or outside the box - and in the case of Dan above, if he was in the EU he would be entirely within his rights to return for a refund or replacement.

I would probably go down the publisher contact route for ease (as I have before), but lots of people in the UK aren't aware of their rights as it is

Yeah, the law is the same in Denmark, but like you I'd also go the publisher route (unless the box had to be replaced). Going to the store would just mean that both store and publisher had to spend time/money instead of just the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iain: That's good to know--thank you. And I agree that it's certainly within anyone's rights to go back to a retailer for a defective product. I'm just saying that I hope no gamer ever does that--it's much better for everyone involved if you just fill out a publisher's replacement parts form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Iain: That's good to know--thank you. And I agree that it's certainly within anyone's rights to go back to a retailer for a defective product. I'm just saying that I hope no gamer ever does that--it's much better for everyone involved if you just fill out a publisher's replacement parts form.

I'm curious about this. I don't recall the last time I needed to get a replacement part, but if I did (and if I had bought it at a retailer), my inclination would be to go to the retailer for an exchange, with the assumption that the retailer would then exchange with the distributer or publisher from there. To me, the advantage is that I get my replacement immediately, rather than waiting a week or two. And unless I misunderstand the retailer's ability to replace the defective product, it doesn't seem as though there's harm there, other than a little time.

Note that I read your blog entry you linked, but the point you seemed to be making there was to point out that there were options for actually fixing defective games, rather than flaming the publisher online (which I agree with you on, as that only serves to hurt the industry).

So why is it so preferable for the customer to deal directly with the publisher -- especially given that many publishers seem to be less interested in being responsive than you -- rather than their retailer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the retailer then sends the entire game back to the publisher for refund rather than just dealing with the individual part, which is then more expensive for the publisher.

The one and only time I have had to go through this I did go to the publisher. I think because the manual said to within the components list. While it wasn't a same-day fix, it was very fast and easy. Less effort than getting off my *** and going back to a store. So personally I'd prefer to email the publisher anyway as long as they respond (which they did in my case). Minimum effort > speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
So why is it so preferable for the customer to deal directly with the publisher -- especially given that many publishers seem to be less interested in being responsive than you -- rather than their retailer?

Sure, that's a fair question. There are several logistical reasons, with perhaps the main one being that it's the publisher's responsibility to provide all of the components needed to play the game. It's not fair for me to pass that responsibility onto the retailer or distributors.

If you return a game to a retailer, they're not going to ship it back to the distributor. Distributor shipments go one way: From the distributor to the retailer. What's more likely to happen is that the retailer will keep the game as a demo or library copy, and they'll request a refund from the distributor. The distributor may just eat the cost, or they're request a refund from a publisher. As a result, the smallest component that may cost less than a cent to make could end up costing the distributor or publisher anywhere from $5-$40, depending on the cost of the game.

This is compared to a customer just filling out a replacement parts form. Manufacturers typically send a batch of replacement parts with each shipment of games (at least, ours does). So when we get a request for a broken token or missing card, we pull it out of our replacement parts supplies and ship it, usually for a few dollars in postage/packaging.

Really, the key is that no single component is worth rendering a game useless. Sure, it might take a few extra days, maybe longer depending on the publisher, but it's pretty rare that a missing or broken component makes a game unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had a damaged tuckbox, but it wasn't nearly as bad as those, so I let it slide. I don't think it's going to affect anything, and even though I ordered a recharge pack with my preorder of the game, I think it'll be fine.

I've had some good luck with great publishers (from my limited experience) and getting replacements. I got a new box for one game that was bowed in, missing reeds in agricola revised, and a missing rulebook from COB the card game. All different publishers, all things dealt with fairly expediently and courteously. Thanks Jamey for all the info, and hope all goes well with getting your tuckboxes back in good order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
To update my situation. I spoke with my FLGS and even though I said I could go through the publisher and request a replacement part, they offered to replace the whole thing. So I went in and got a new game. We opened it there and lo and behold, similar issue although less damage. Tuck box 3 was crushed. At that point I took it as is. I wasn’t going to abuse it and have them open another box.

I appreciated their willingness to help and after reading all the posts here it seems it’s not easy for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: Can you please send me the name of your retailer so I can make up for the loss they've incurred as a result of this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Dan: Can you please send me the name of your retailer so I can make up for the loss they've incurred as a result of this?

Sent it to you as a PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.