16 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: What about Blood Rage Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Hébert
Canada
flag msg tools
I've been playing a couple of games of BR by now, I've been wondering if there is any expansion I should really consider buying. Currently I have the basic game that plays with 4 players. Is it really worth it, and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphree
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve heard that Mystics of Midgard adds a nice element to the game by giving each clan a powerful new unit to play. I have it on my wishlist but haven’t played it yet. The 5th player expansion sounds fun, but I don’t know how necessary it really is. This game is amazing with 3-4 players. 5 might seem like too much. And I haven’t heard any pros or cons for Gods of Asgard. I’ll be watching this thread to find out! Thanks for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5th Player expansion obviously does what it says. The board gets tight at five players, but it's still good.

Mystics of Midgard is generally the higher regarded mechanical expansion. I use it most of the time.

Gods of Asgard is kind of like adding some random modifiers to your game. It definitely changes things up in interesting ways, but the game is less pure with them included. It would be the last one I'd get, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:
5th Player expansion obviously does what it says. The board gets tight at five players, but it's still good.

Mystics of Midgard is generally the higher regarded mechanical expansion. I use it most of the time.

Gods of Asgard is kind of like adding some random modifiers to your game. It definitely changes things up in interesting ways, but the game is less pure with them included. It would be the last one I'd get, for sure.

Yup. I'm a kickstarter backer and we don't use the Gods of Asgard expansion.

Mistyx are very much recommended, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphree
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

Yup. I'm a kickstarter backer and we don't use the Gods of Asgard expansion.

Mistyx are very much recommended, though!

I bought the game retail after I heard how awesome it is. What did I miss out on? what came in the kickstarter game that didnt come in retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Murph20047 wrote:
I bought the game retail after I heard how awesome it is. What did I miss out on? what came in the kickstarter game that didnt come in retail?

The full KS package has:
- One extra clan (Wildboar, which basically is just fluff);
- Plastic (stat, beginning player, ragnarok) tokens (which basically are just fluff);
- 4 extra monsters (of 2 good ones: Mountain Giant and Fenrir, 1 overpowered Wolfman and one very weak Mystic Troll);
- 5th player extras: alternative versions of Dark Elf, Soldier of Hel and Dwarf for use in 5 player games.

Of all this only the Mtn Giant (counts as extra leader) and Fenrir (Ragnarok happens where he is) monsters really add to the gameplay (in my opinion) because they fit into already existing strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphree
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Murph20047 wrote:

The full KS package has:
- Plastic (stat, beginning player, ragnarok) tokens (which basically are just fluff);
- 4 extra monsters (of 2 good ones: Mountain Giant and Fenrir, 1 overpowered Wolfman and one very weak Mystic Troll);
- 5th player extras: alternative versions of Dark Elf, Soldier of Hel and Dwarf for use in 5 player games.

Of all this only the Mtn Giant (counts as extra leader) and Fenrir (Ragnarok happens where he is) monsters really add to the gameplay (in my opinion) because they fit into already existing strategies.

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! I was bummed I didn’t hear about the Kickstarter in time. I see how some of that could be fluff... I still want it though! Lol! It’s my favorite game so far! Perhaps I’ll search eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boctor
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Murph20047 wrote:

The full KS package has:

I too am a kickstarter backer and I agree with this message. thumbsup
GLORY TO THE RAVEN CLAN!

Though all that said I do like extra fluff. So I'm rather fond of the wildboar clan, the alternative monster models, and the plastic component variants.

As for expansions, I've never played a game without mystics. For me they are as integral to the game experience as boats, leaders, and some player spamming Loki cards all game...

Lastly, while I might like the Gods of Asgard expansion more than most, it is an unnecessary complication to the game. Half the time we forget that they're in play... having said that out loud we might just be terrible gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndrarch wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

The full KS package has:

GLORY TO THE RAVEN CLAN!

Though all that said I do like extra fluff. So I'm rather fond of the wildboar clan, the alternative monster models, and the plastic component variants.

As for expansions, I've never played a game without mystics. For me they are as integral to the game experience as boats, leaders, and some player spamming Loki cards all game...

Lastly, while I might like the Gods of Asgard expansion more than most, it is an unnecessary complication to the game. Half the time we forget that they're in play... having said that out loud we might just be terrible gamers.

I pretty much agree with ALL of this...

But the most glory shall go to the Ram clan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
Wyndrarch wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

The full KS package has:

GLORY TO THE RAVEN CLAN!

NONONO, ALL GLORY TO THE BEAR CLAN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvioze wrote:
bigblock75 wrote:
Wyndrarch wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

The full KS package has:

GLORY TO THE RAVEN CLAN!

NONONO, ALL GLORY TO THE BEAR CLAN!

The WOLF Clan will TEAR you ALL APART!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boctor
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What have I started? -.-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sauinders
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And the Serpent Clan sssneaks away with the win, the other clans can keep their glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What about Blood Rage Expansio
I too have the full KS package and am the envy of my entire gaming group. I have never played without the Mystics expansion or the KS Monsters. Although, I agree that the Mountain Giant is the only one I feel is integral. It really should have been included in the base game. The Wolfman is swingy and Fenrir can really reek havoc on the Someone else’s strategy.

Regarding the OP, I would definitely recommend the Mystics expansion and if 5 players is ever an option, (I love the game at 5 players) get that one too if the budget permits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsman
United States
Ely
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KS - was soo nice...
Every game have the extra monsters.
every other game add in the God's.
Every Game add the mystics they don't add much but nice little thing.

for the few that have them though, For the power they bring, for their Glory and Color none can stop the
Wildboar Clan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lone Xolf
msg tools
mbmbmb
afrag wrote:
I too have the full KS package and am the envy of my entire gaming group. I have never played without the Mystics expansion or the KS Monsters. Although, I agree that the Mountain Giant is the only one I feel is integral. It really should have been included in the base game. The Wolfman is swingy and Fenrir can really reek havoc on the Someone else’s strategy.

Regarding the OP, I would definitely recommend the Mystics expansion and if 5 players is ever an option, (I love the game at 5 players) get that one too if the budget permits.

I do agree the mountain giant is the best of the bunch. Wolfman is my second favorite but he can really change how combat plays out. Wolfman and Fenrir can both really destroy you and both need to be respected. Mystic troll is a bit underwhelming considering the other 3 monster abilities but is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.