Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan D
United States
san antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my son is really into mobsters. I have heard that this game isnt really a Godfather game I.e based around the movies.. My question is does it still feel like a mobster themed base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes. Absolutely.

Great mobster theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can easily relate! My brother (turning 13) visited me and picked The Godfather from the shelves. He is more of a video gamer and only has played some board games with me.

We played three players and without Bribe cards (to simplify the flow) and it was great. At first he asked about how gang fights happen and was a little disappointed that you cannot start challenges at locations BUT he then learned how thematic it is that it is Don Corleone's missions that allow him to do it. That you do not do such stuff without Godfathers permission.

He really liked it. So yeah, it feels and plays really well like a mafia themed game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sasigns wrote:
So my son is really into mobsters. I have heard that this game isnt really a Godfather game I.e based around the movies.. My question is does it still feel like a mobster themed base game?

I feel like it’s a difficult chicken-or-egg question to engage with. People say it feels like a mobster game but not like The Godfather. But in my mind, it’s The Godfather movies that set a large percentage of the “mobster” tropes that we use. So if a game has the mobster tropes it’s already a lot like The Godfather movies.

I’m not really looking for a game to pull me through the narrative arc of a movie. That story has already been told. I want a game that has me running around in that world. This game certainly accomplishes that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game period!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superman829 wrote:
sasigns wrote:

I feel like it’s a difficult chicken-or-egg question to engage with. People say it feels like a mobster game but not like The Godfather. But in my mind, it’s The Godfather movies that set a large percentage of the “mobster” tropes that we use. So if a game has the mobster tropes it’s already a lot like The Godfather movies.

I’m not really looking for a game to pull me through the narrative arc of a movie. That story has already been told. I want a game that has me running around in that world. This game certainly accomplishes that.

Louis has managed to put into words what I have been unable to for the past 3 months when engaged in similar discussions about this game. +100 to this comment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer to OP: yes and no. And I don't consider the Godfather-tie-ins, which are (like mentioned by many users) just pasted on.

All players are mobsters under the order of Don Corleone. And he constantly assigns "jobs" to kill each other, even allowing the different clans to choose themselves, whom to pick. Feels more like Disorganised Crime to me. But a rather childish perspective on mobster theme might be very well met, so it might be the right thing for your son, depending on how old he is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.