Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: When to use Rawhide Headband? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Wyant
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I have seen a lot of people say that Rawhide Headband is a very strong item, and it seems to be, but I wonder when a good time to use it would be. Isn't it true that you have to forgo your attack action since it costs an activation energy to use? If so, should you give it and the affinity to the least valuable attacking character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams

Newcastle
Washington
msg tools
mb
I usually use it for a support/circlet character or tank character. I prefer to have that character go last and pick the next AI card i want. Now he can try and move into the position to be attacked etc. If they are both bad I can surge with other characters to help remove them.

Yes it is your action for the turn but you can still surge for an additional action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
Sweden
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
mbmbmbmbmb
When to use it? There are two main uses:

1. Last character to act, after everyone else has attacked: Activates rawhide headband to choose the least damaging AI card to activate. Early on this survivor should be one who is wearing full rawhide + monster grease so they can position themselves to take the hit.

2. Before your damage dealing survivors (which there are typically 2 per hunt party) attack, so you can "prune" the AI deck and remove certain cards while keeping beneficial ones in. This generally requires the Surge survival action, but it can be done by having 2 non-attacking survivors and 2 who attack. This is an advanced level technique and is done to make monsters behave in certain, advantageous ways. For example, creating a Butcher who will give everyone max understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Wyant
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I've heard of the tactic in which you max understanding before. Is it generally considered acceptable to do this or is it a cheap exploit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thespasticsurgeon wrote:
I've heard of the tactic in which you max understanding before. Is it generally considered acceptable to do this or is it a cheap exploit?

Considering how randomly the game can kill some of your survivors, every tactic you can use to gain an edge is valid in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
KDM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thespasticsurgeon wrote:

IIRC that was sanctioned in 1.31 by Adam, but also removed in 1.5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1.5, you cannot do that. It has been changed on "once in a lifetime, +1 Understanding".

About using Rawhide Headband, you can also use it to make sure that the tank gets targeted, instead of another rando who would get destroyed by next attack. Since you get to see the cards, you will know what "Pick Target" rules will be enforced and prepare accordingly.

Finally, if playing vs the Gorm,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
you can just Hiccup-loop it with two Rawhide Headbands and a Slow weapon.

1. RH: Hiccup on bottom
2. Attack with Slow weapon
3a. Attack wounds? Done, Hiccup is on top, you can just dash/move away and wait that the monster executes Hiccup.
3b. Attack fails? No worries, second Rawhide Headband will put Hiccup back on top.

If you have an Abyssal Sadist do the wounding, you will likely move in/wound/dash away for free.

L3 Gorms are desperately easy when doing that. Of course,

Spoiler (click to reveal)

You can fix that by just changing Hiccup "in range" definition to "in range for the Retch", which is likely RAI. I never got a rules clarification on that, so it's wild west for now.

EDIT: wrong tags for spoilers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Church
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenpaints wrote:

2. Before your damage dealing survivors (which there are typically 2 per hunt party) attack, so you can "prune" the AI deck and remove certain cards while keeping beneficial ones in. This generally requires the Surge survival action, but it can be done by having 2 non-attacking survivors and 2 who attack. This is an advanced level technique and is done to make monsters behave in certain, advantageous ways. For example, creating a Butcher who will give everyone max understanding.

There is also the less advanced way, which is still useful I think - use headband on a support survivor to peek at AI at the first act, then move undesirable AI card to the top if you can reliably cause at least one wound with the remaining 3 survivors. Obviously doesn't always work -- I suppose that's where surge comes in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.